VRS MY2012, Different Oil to MY2013. Why?

A quick search on the TPS website lists different oil viscosities for the MY2012 and the MY2013 petrol VRS. MY2012 is 5w30 and MY2013 is 5w40.

Euro Car Parts lists it as taking 5w40 oil yet the dealer at all my services has put in 5w30 and the car came supplied with a top up bottle of 5w30. 

So, the question is, which is the correct oil viscosity (assuming both meet VW502.00 spec)?

Edited by Metblackrat

I wouldn't always trust the compatibility checkers, especially on ECP. It is notoriously bad.

I've never used the TPS one until just now, and for engine oils it seems pretty limited. The list prices seem fanciful too!  For my car, and your car (presumably being a vRS petrol CCZA), you need either VW502.00  (fixed interval) or VW504.00 for long life servicing (which could also be used for fixed interval).  My recommendation would be stick with VW502.00 and fixed servicing 12mths/10k miles and don't use long life.  Other people will have differing opinions.

The TPS checker for my vehicle MY2011, only shows VW Longlife oil 5W30 and is not correct if it purports to be showing all compatible oils sold by TPS. It is showing one compatible oil only.

The viscosity is not the main issue, so long as it is appropriate for the environment the vehicle is operating in, but I am assuming the checker is alternating between a VW504.00 long life oil for MY2012, (commonly available, maybe even exclusively available only in a 5W30 formulation) and a VW502.00 for MY2013, which are commonly 5W40 (but also available in some other multigrades) but in reality, both oils should be shown for both MYs. 

Of course, there are many many non VW / TPS branded oils that are sold by vendors, like say site sponsor Opie Oils, that will also be compatible with either of the two standards. I always find it a better approach to search on the VW specification than a vehicle or reg checker which often produce limited or misleading results, as you have found..

Edited by TheClient
  • Like 1

I guess too we speak about CCZA engine code as your Octy is 2012. Just to see what manufacturer say, to compare it I give links to manuals for the latest OctaviaII since 11/2012, OctaviaIII since 11/2013 and SuperbII since 11/2012 and 5/2014, you should have it in your board manual too. As already TheClient have said, you can notice VAG only insists on oils approved according VW norm, VAG does not give you any advice concerning viscosity etc. except two situations. First one is a case of emergency when no VW approved oil available to use, second one is a case of Russia, unfortunatelly only in later manual versions included, not for OctaviaII, for SuperbII first since 5/2014, both use same family engines.

OII since 11/2012

http://www.skoda-auto.com/en/mini-apps/owners-manuals/pages/octavia-1z.aspx?requestOwnersManualOnlineVersion=en/Octavia_1Z/11-2012/Manual/Octavia/online&requestOwnersManualLanguage=en&requestOwnersManualEditionDate=11-2012#!pageId=00494

OIII since 3/2013

http://www.skoda-auto.com/en/mini-apps/owners-manuals/pages/octavia.aspx?requestOwnersManualOnlineVersion=en/Octavia_5E/11-2013/Manual/Octavia/online&requestOwnersManualLanguage=en&requestOwnersManualEditionDate=11-2013#!pageId=00525

SuperbII since 11/2012

http://www.skoda-auto.com/en/mini-apps/owners-manuals/pages/superb-3t.aspx?requestOwnersManualOnlineVersion=en/Superb_3T/11-2012/Manual/Superb/online&requestOwnersManualLanguage=en&requestOwnersManualEditionDate=11-2012#!pageId=00549

SuperbII since 5/2014

http://www.skoda-auto.com/en/mini-apps/owners-manuals/pages/superb-3t.aspx?requestOwnersManualOnlineVersion=en/Superb_3T/05-2014/Manual/Superb/online&requestOwnersManualLanguage=en&requestOwnersManualEditionDate=05-2014#!pageId=00503

• Like 1