1st time Skoda owner, not so lucky with purchase

Robertino

Good morning everybody,

Bought my first ever Skoda. Its an Octavia hatchback, SE CR, DSG 7 speed automatic, 1.6 diesel, 2015 plate, black. I saw it on Autotrader, 81kw updated engine, low miles. Because it was sold by big Vauxhall dealership and it was 250 miles from me, I didn`t even go to see it - I had peace of mind +lot of detailed photos. Paid for it and went to pick up, to Grimsby :D

My first shock was when I saw on V5 its an old 77kw engine, not 81kw updated. But too late, its been paid for. Huge disappointment! When I asked for service history, I was told there are no more paper books these days, its all on Skoda system, just go to dealership and they will print it out.

Been driving for 2 weeks, getting used to the car and checking if everything works, which it does. Just phoned my local Skoda to book in for diagnostics, print service history, update multimedia firmware etc. They just told me there is NO history on Skoda system on this car, never been in for servicing or anything else. Woow :sadsmile: At 34k miles never had oil change?! They advised me to call Skoda UK, they might have something. Or call Cardiff where car was originally sold. Spoken to Cardiff Skoda and they say they didn`t sell it, its not on their system and they also see nothing on this car.

I`m so shocked and disappointed. I also asked Skoda UK regarding 34H5 - my car is not affected by it, at least currently there is no information on their system. Good news is - there is one more year of factory warranty left.

I will now try to return car to dealership where I bought it. Lovely car, but 34k miles with no oil and filter change - big no no.

Surely they didn't ask for payment in full over the phone? Even then, distance selling would have applied. Anyway, past that stage now - was the car advertised as having FSH or do you have anything from the Vx dealer stating that it had?

• Like 1

Welcome to the forum.  That's very poor and disappointing.  You were clearly mis-sold a car and it was advertised with a different engine.  I would be straight back to them either looking for a refund or compensation and certainly taking it further if they appear to balk.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Brian69 said:

Surely they didn't ask for payment in full over the phone? Even then, distance selling would have applied. Anyway, past that stage now - was the car advertised as having FSH or do you have anything from the Vx dealer stating that it had?

I only paid small deposit to secure a car. Remaining balance was paid few days before I went to pick it up.  It was advertised with service history.

19 minutes ago, Superb170 said:

Welcome to the forum.  That's very poor and disappointing.  You were clearly mis-sold a car and it was advertised with a different engine.  I would be straight back to them either looking for a refund or compensation and certainly taking it further if they appear to balk.

"We have no control over where Autotrader pulls their data from" - that`s regarding engine mismatch. When I spoke with Skoda UK they said same - they have no idea where they get data from by number plate.

Couple of things. Can't see why this has anything at all to do with Skoda ?

As for the dealer are they saying they have no control over autotraders data ? I would have said it's the bloody dealers responsability to check the adverts they place are correct no matter what data Autotrader supplies to make life easier for them ...

Personally I would not have left the dealer until I had my money back... You can't get it much more wrong than the incorrect engine !

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Robertino said:

I only paid small deposit to secure a car. Remaining balance was paid few days before I went to pick it up.  It was advertised with service history.

If it was advertised as having a full service history you were clearly mis-sold - returning it is the right way to go. 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Nick_H said:

I would have said it's the bloody dealers responsibility to check the adverts they place are correct no matter what data Autotrader supplies to make life easier for them ...

Personally I would not have left the dealer until I had my money back... You can't get it much more wrong than the incorrect engine !

"You should have gone there to see the car and check v5 before purchasing a car" - that`s what Skoda UK advised me. Its my fault that I bought it remotely and didn`t check everything myself. And I don`t have a Autotrader screenshot as a proof anyway, advert has been taken down as car was sold.

Edited by Robertino

9 minutes ago, Nick_H said:

Couple of things. Can't see why this has anything at all to do with Skoda ?

As for the dealer are they saying they have no control over autotraders data ? I would have said it's the bloody dealers responsability to check the adverts they place are correct no matter what data Autotrader supplies to make life easier for them ...

I don't the OP is any way holding SUK responsible - just checked out the service history - or lack of - with them. 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Brian69 said:

If it was advertised as having a full service history you were clearly mis-sold - returning it is the right way to go. 

I`m expecting a phone call this morning from them - how are they going to solve this problem.

1 minute ago, Brian69 said:

I don't the OP is any way holding SUK responsible - just checked out the service history - or lack of - with them. 

Correct, I was calling Skoda UK to check if they might have any info on service history and ask about 34H5.

Edited by Robertino

8 minutes ago, Auric Goldfinger said:

If the Car has been Advertised incorrectly I'd be onto the dealer for a refund plus out of pocket expenses and if that fails Trading Standards might be Intrested or even a Solicitors letter might get results.

Don't back down. I'd be livid

There a some expenses - I went 250 miles on the train to pick it up, drove back, bought road tax, bought car insurance. I`m not sure what finance company is going to charge me if I return a car.

The car was mis-sold, end of. 

Get the car back to then ASAP then the rest can be sorted out.

Unless they are away to close down your legal actions can follow.

PS.

Full service history can be true.  Even Full Main Dealer Service History can be true.

Full VW Group / Skoda Maiun Dealer Service history to Service Schedule Guidelines allowing a Manufacturers or After Market Warranty 

is a totally different thing. 

(even some Skoda/ VW approved used cars do not actually have that.)

Edited by Awayoffski

Hi,

if you viewed the auto trader advert on your computer is it possible that viewing is still in the computers ' history ' 

I' d contact the finance company as in reality the car ' belongs ' to them until the finance has been paid so if you have issues it will be in their interest to advise you what to do next ( I'd have thought. )

Edited by davidwhite

1 minute ago, Robertino said:

I have no proof it was advertised with different engine, Autotrader advert is long gone. They are very big outlet, won`t close.

Can you contact Auto Trader ? They might still have the advert 

Can you still get the paper version of Auto trader ?

Edited by Auric Goldfinger

?

What is this 'Upgraded Engine'  & 81Kw / 71 Kw stuff.? 

You thought it was the newest car, Euro 6.

What were you buying as in bhp / ps engine, Euro 5 or Euro 6.

(a 110ps Euro 6 or a 105 ps Euro 5.)

Edited by Awayoffski

2 minutes ago, davidwhite said:

Hi,

if you viewed the auto trader advert on your computer is it possible that viewing is still in the computers ' history ' 

Just tried opening any advert links from history:

We're sorry, the vehicle you are looking for is no longer available. Here are some you may also like:

3 minutes ago, Auric Goldfinger said:

Can you still get the paper version of Auto trader ?

Will try to call them. Does every online advert gets printed on paper as well?

3 minutes ago, Awayoffski said:

?

What is this 'Upgraded Engine'  & 81Kw / 71 Kw stuff.?

What were you buying as in bhp / ps engine, Euro 5 or Euro 6.

In 2015 May engine was updated to 81kw from 77kw. And with that mpg also went up slightly. Difference in bhp is 104/105 to 109/110.

Edited by Robertino

The Dealership have the advert on record.

They mis-sold if the advert was as you remember correctly. 

They would be lying and de-frauding and at risk of prosecution if caught out.

Get onto CAB and then that can be Trading Standards involved, but get everything in writing with the Dealership Dealer Principal when letting them know again they mis-sold.

Solicitors are open on Fridays, and on Mondays.  

Best get on with things.

Edited by Awayoffski

12 minutes ago, Auric Goldfinger said:

Just phoned Autotrader and they emailed me what they have on their system which is only a text description of the car, nothing else.