20 hours ago, mrcrow said:

My daughter and her husband both have 1.9 fabia's TDI 

They fill up periodically with shell special diesel and claim it is a benefit 

I have the 1.4 TDI.  80ps

Is this something I need consider?

Mileage is 78 k. 2008 model 

Cheer's

GEOF

I think this may have been thrashed to death many times.....

i will google it as the question can relate over a broad make of diesels 

not only VAG

Cheers 

geof

Loads of threads in the various sections of Briskoda.  

Premium Diesel does have a higher Cetane. 

As to feeling or gaining and more efficiency, performance or economy with your 1.4TDI, i would save your 10 pence a litre or what ever extra the cost.

There are Diesels that benefit from it though just not yours IMO.

Maybe invest that extra £4 when filling the tank and see for yourself.

Edited by Awayoffski
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, Awayoffski said:

Loads of threads in the various sections of Briskoda.  

Premium Diesel does have a higher Cetane. 

As to feeling or gaining and more efficiency, performance or economy with your 1.4TDI, i would save your 10 pence a litre or what ever extra the cost.

There are Diesels that benefit from it though just not yours IMO.

Maybe invest that extra £4 when filling the tank and see for yourself.

that is what i was beginning to surmise...

i think i will skip the clean your injectors via fuel at the pump and ask just one further point

on my vw golf...1.6S...which was fuel injectors etc i used an additive at the pump...a capful etc per tankful

whether it worked i dont know but the car ran smoothly...it wasnt done for power or extra mileage...up till i sold it at 135K

i see there is a product similar for diesel injectors...i am not sure what the overall cost would be but i reckon its a lot less than 10p a litre..£4.00 per tank as you pointed out

again i am only interested in some assumption that car diesel injectors need some care via the fuel...assuming the standard diesel does not have additives

i trained as a marine engineer and part of the bench work was to overhaul diesel injectors for mobile compressors...

strip clean and reset...using a pump to whatever pressure the injectors needed to make them raspberry...:D

:party::party:

my only hesitancy is whether any real cleaning benefit there is ...or do you diesel chaps get them overhauled etc at cetrain intervals...just to clean...or is it a case of leave well alone

cheers

geof

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Awayoffski said:

Plenty recommend using Millers Treatment,

personally i would rather drink some Miilers from a bottle at a nice picnic spot and smoke a Hamlet.

i agree...we will have to get a string player in to play the air on a G string by Handel..

i will drink bass in a bottle and smoke a castella

:D

thanks again

cheers

geof

Having run Fabias, a previous 1.4TDI up to 172K miles and currently running a 1.9TDI at 155K miles, I think the days of problem injectors that require regular servicing - unless you run a Mondeo diesel - are long past. The last time I had an injector serviced was in the mid 80's and those were out of a Perkins 4203 fitted to a Range Rover. Just keep on top of fuel filter changes.

Edited by KeithCheetham
  • Like 1

just filled up with shell diesel...the 1.18p stuff

will see how it goes and then try a tank of the V type...

the filling up the fuel filter seemed a good idea...just changed mine so next filter change i will do a millers type clean using that suggested and used technique

cheers

geof

• 2 weeks later...

I only use Texaco, Shell or Esso never supermarket fuels! Personally I usually get an extra 20 to 30 miles on a tank of shell compared to tesco. I try and fill up with shell but if I am not near a shell garage like stated before Texaco or Esso. 

Just dont go to asda as they have recently put diesel in the petrol tanks and petrol in the diesel so drivers where unintentionally filling up with the wrong fuel!!

• Like 1

^^^ 

I take it was at one particular ASDA and not everyone around the country?

That will be a lot they will be paying out to those that purchased the wrong fuel before they were alerted.

It has happened at times at many places over the years.

?

Do you know if the ESSO Station you get your fuel at is supplied by Greenergy that supplies Tesco stations and that is part owned by Tesco?

http://greenergy.com/uk/independent 

Edited by Awayoffski
  • Like 1

i have filled up with shell normal diesel and the car seems to be running smoothly...i have got 430 miles to go till the tank needs a refill according to the computer...

that could take a wee bit down here where we dont do a lot of motorway stuff...i guess i am around 6000 a year now

so a couple of weeks...

i may then fill up with the shell again and try some Millers Diesel Injector Cleaner initially...

it costs around £8.00 to treat 60 litres making the cost per litre 13p

wouldnt it be less costly to fill up now and again with the shell v power diesel??

i think i am digging myself a hole?

cheers

geof

On 7/6/2017 at 19:43, Awayoffski said:

^^^ 

I take it was at one particular ASDA and not everyone around the country?

That will be a lot they will be paying out to those that purchased the wrong fuel before they were alerted.

It has happened at times at many places over the years.

?

Do you know if the ESSO Station you get your fuel at is supplied by Greenergy that supplies Tesco stations and that is part owned by Tesco?

http://greenergy.com/uk/independent 

Not sure, will have a look next time I pass! Its not really on my routes I take so hardly fill up there, luckily there are shell garages dotted around my area so I tend to stick with them and I get about 450-475 a tank (10-12,000 a year annual mileage) I have plenty of motorways where I am so I tend to spend a lot of time cruising at 70 with cruise control on. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, JGrindel said:

Not sure, will have a look next time I pass! Its not really on my routes I take so hardly fill up there, luckily there are shell garages dotted around my area so I tend to stick with them and I get about 450-475 a tank (10-12,000 a year annual mileage) I have plenty of motorways where I am so I tend to spend a lot of time cruising at 70 with cruise control on. 

i have been using the cruise control a bit on motorways as well

when we went to bristol from hayle in cornwall...about 180 miles...A30 then M5 recently we sat in the slow lane at 60 and chatted a bit...

mrs crow remarked how pleasant is was to be able to look at the scenery

we then joined the happy campers in the middle lane at 70...and i now know why they all get in long convoys at 70

no one to pass no one passes you...and all you have to do is check your oppo in front for distance

not too close and not too big a gap...wonderful!!

the numbers came up quite high as well...we returned a 56 for the tank...not all motorway

i have to practice more to get in and out of the CC when braking or speeding up

but what an adventure..

cheers

geof

• Like 1

13 hours ago, mrcrow said:

i have been using the cruise control a bit on motorways as well

when we went to bristol from hayle in cornwall...about 180 miles...A30 then M5 recently we sat in the slow lane at 60 and chatted a bit...

mrs crow remarked how pleasant is was to be able to look at the scenery

we then joined the happy campers in the middle lane at 70...and i now know why they all get in long convoys at 70

no one to pass no one passes you...and all you have to do is check your oppo in front for distance

not too close and not too big a gap...wonderful!!

the numbers came up quite high as well...we returned a 56 for the tank...not all motorway

i have to practice more to get in and out of the CC when braking or speeding up

but what an adventure..

cheers

geof

First car I have owned with CC but its something I have used more often than not and really makes motorway driving easier!

6 hours ago, JGrindel said:

First car I have owned with CC but its something I have used more often than not and really makes motorway driving easier!

ACE!

eases the ankle just need to be aware where the brake and throttle are for adjustments 

cheers

geof

ooooh...you are ahead of me there JG..i read this in the handbook but didnt really take it in

i will have to use that in future for what you just say.

thanks for that helpful practical observation

i know i can read all about it...:)

but how do you set off on a journey relative to using the CC

if you stop for a snack...we skoda drivers never really stop much for diesel...

do you have to start all over again setting the speed

i thought yes but if i can store a speed and then resume that would be handy...

my computer is still showing at 450 miles left in the tank..and the needle has dropped down on the petrol gauge a bit

where is all this leading to... i wonder...

cheers

geof

• 3 months later...

further to the above and much later

i have used two tankfuls of the shell V

the engine is so sweet and getting 60mpg on 30 mile trips travelling at 40-50 max..windy roads

is keeping me interested

dont forget to put the clocks back

cheers

geof

• Like 1

8 hours ago, mrcrow said:

further to the above and much later

i have used two tankfuls of the shell V

the engine is so sweet and getting 60mpg on 30 mile trips travelling at 40-50 max..windy roads

is keeping me interested

dont forget to put the clocks back

cheers

geof

Good to hear of your mpg readings!! I get an average of 52-53mpg on my 30 mile commute sitting at 69mph on cruise using shell!! Fuely is giving me an average of 50mpg over all which I am very happy with!

19 hours ago, JGrindel said:

Good to hear of your mpg readings!! I get an average of 52-53mpg on my 30 mile commute sitting at 69mph on cruise using shell!! Fuely is giving me an average of 50mpg over all which I am very happy with!

Good!

i have yet to see if the points one gets using a shell card are worth something as well

i prefer cash or discount on diesel...

have you a card and have you had any gifts etc?

i dont do a lot of mileage so a tank will last me around a month...!!

cheers

geof

21 minutes ago, mrcrow said:

Good!

i have yet to see if the points one gets using a shell card are worth something as well

i prefer cash or discount on diesel...

have you a card and have you had any gifts etc?

i dont do a lot of mileage so a tank will last me around a month...!!

cheers

geof

I do have a Shell card which at the moment I have 700 odd points (500 points equals £2.50 off) 

I do travel around a fair amount, I got back from wales today after attending this years WRC in Powys and drove a total of 540 miles and after filling up I managed 56.5Mpg, all of the drive was on shell fuel. I am however remapped so the drive did include some fun on the welsh roads!! 

My partner doesnt drive much either on her diesel (Mini countryman 1.6tdi) and her tank lasts nearly 3 weeks sometimes!!

Use normal diesel and throw a bottle of Cataclean diesel additive in every three months. You can usually get it for about £13-£15 quid. You will spend more then that on higher spec fuel but this will clean the whole fuel system, including DPF.

• Like 1