Petrol v Diesel used values

BillN_33

The 1,2 Petrol versions seem to be holding their used values better than the 110bhp and even the higher bhp diesels

are buyers being scared away by all this "diesel" chat?

I'm looking at buying another, (used) Yeti and initially was 100% diesel

are used diesel values going to fall even more in the next 12 months

Edited by BillN_33

Which country or countries do you mean that the 1.2TSI versions are holding their used value better than TDI's,is it in the UK?

What are you using to see how they are holding value, Parkers, Autotrader, Glass's type guides or Asking Prices at Dealership or private ads online.

Asking prices are not buying prices or what people have to pay.

Diesel serves a purpose. - long hot runs, high mileage and towing in particular.

Petrol is definitely better suited to short, town runs.

However the tide has turned against diesels in general, I suspect.

2 minutes ago, Awayoffski said:

Which country or countries do you mean that the 1.2TSI versions are holding their used value better than TDI's,is it in the UK?

What are you using to see how they are holding value, Parkers, Autotrader, Glass's type guides or Asking Prices at Dealership or private ads online.

Asking prices are not buying prices or what people have to pay.

I have been looking at the prices on Autotrader UK as I am looking for a car for the UK - most are dealer cars

2 minutes ago, Ryeman said:

Diesel serves a purpose. - long hot runs, high mileage and towing in particular.

Petrol is definitely better suited to short, town runs.

However the tide has turned against diesels in general, I suspect.

that seems to be the case with Skoda

although if you say look at BMW 320 Touring, (Estates) - the Diesel versions are the ones to go for and are good money

I am tempted with a higher mileage BM 320D with Xdrive

Edited by BillN_33

3 minutes ago, BillN_33 said:

although if you say look at BMW 320 Touring, (Estates) - the Diesel versions are the ones to go for and are good money

It might be easy to buy but in a few years disposing of it might be quite different.

According to those that say 'The Yeti will never be bettered',  there should be an increasing demand on used Euro 6 Emission Petrol's and Diesels.

With the last versions manufactured and unlike Euro 5's less chance of a TDI that has had 'The Fix', or a 1.8 or 1.2 TSI with a dodgy Timing Chain, Turbo or the other issues that some have been having but in increasing numbers.

(But then bargains might be had because people are being careful and avoiding them because of these worries.)

So a nice Euro 6 1.2, 1.4 TSI or a TDI with SCR might be a vehicle that will not be a depreciating disaster when the last of the vehicles already in Stock unregistered are all sold.

19 minutes ago, Ryeman said:

It might be easy to buy but in a few years disposing of it might be quite different.

are there the same diesel "problems" throughout the VAG range - i.e. the Audi A4 Avant 2,0 Diesel?

Just now, BillN_33 said:

are there the same diesel "problems" throughout the VAG range - i.e. the Audi A4 Avant 2,0 Diesel?

As far as the general public are concerned, diesels are all the same.

Enthusiasts are different.

As anecdotal evidence, I sold my elegance CR170 (2010) last October for £9600,privately.

I found it back up for sale for £8200 at a Citroen dealer last month.

Doing a little more research found the chap I sold it too trying to sell it back in march/April time.

Looks like he had to PX it in the end and I expect(but don't know) he got around the £7k mark for it.

I wanted to get out of the diesel market as doing around 5k a year was obviously storing up trouble for myself if I'd kept it and you can only see one way diesel was going to go so jumped ship quickly.

Edited by carisbrook

36 minutes ago, carisbrook said:

As anecdotal evidence, I sold my elegance CR170 (2010) last October for £9600,privately.

I found it back up for sale for £8200 at a Citroen dealer last month.

Doing a little more research found the chap I sold it too trying to sell it back in march/April time.

Looks like he had to PX it in the end and I expect(but don't know) he got around the £7k mark for it.

I wanted to get out of the diesel market as doing around 5k a year was obviously storing up trouble for myself if I'd kept it and you can only see one way diesel was going to go so jumped ship quickly.

It is strange how this "anti" diesel opinion has spread in the UK, I've asked a couple of friends and they have said - "you don't want to buy another diesel" - they have no knowledge of cars other than what they have heard ......... discuss diesel with a Frenchman and he has an opposite opinion - I have a 2009 SAAB Aero petrol which I would think pollutes more than my latest 110bhp Yeti diesel ........... and I think even at a low mileage I would still chose the 110bhp diesel over the same bhp petrol - at that level of performance I still prefer the diesel - so I think, even with all the current perceptions, (which I am sure are technically true), I'll opt for a 140/170 "old" diesel rather than the 1,2 petrol - Just in passing I only see a very few 1,4 Petrols for sale used

Edited by BillN_33

1 hour ago, BillN_33 said:

Basically the same engines so I would have thought so.

10 minutes ago, BillN_33 said:

It is strange how this "anti" diesel opinion has spread in the UK, I've asked a couple of friends and they have said - "you don't want to buy another diesel" - they have no knowledge of cars other than what they have heard ......... discuss diesel with a Frenchman and he has an opposite opinion - I have a 2009 SAAB Aero petrol which I would think pollutes more than my latest 110bhp Yeti diesel ........... and I think even at a low mileage I would still chose the 110bhp diesel over the same bhp petrol - at that level of performance I still prefer the diesel - so I think, even with all the current perceptions, (which I am sure are technically true), I'll opt for a 140/170 "old" diesel rather than the 1,2 petrol - Just in passing I only see a very few 1,4 Petrols for sale used

You only have to look at how folks choose to vote. Generally ill-informed, as they are on so many matters.

We are all guilty of this on some subjects, depends on whether we are interested or directly affected by it.

I only have to listen to some of the "discussions" on cars in the office, usually when someone is looking to replace and have to smile at the lack of knowledge and I'm not talking in-depth, just general.

Whilst a lot of the population are interested in cars, the vast majority are not and so it's unsurprising they don't understand the issues. It's just a means of transport to most and they are easily influenced by those with an opinion. And why VWG are getting away with as much as they are with regards to the "fix" etc.

Edited by VAGCF

has anyone checked that VAG have not used a "defeat" device to reduce the CO2 emissions of their petrol engines or have CO2 emissions now been put on the "back burner"

Guest FurryFriend

I drove diesel cars, vans, trucks and boats for more years than I care to think back on. Mostly on company fuel accounts which suited the jobs. 

But for my own private car, I choose petrol every time.  I hate the smell of pump diesel. 

Quite simply for me, it comes down to personal choice. I don't need to understand, or even want to know about the ins and outs of all the technicalities surrounding the fuels. It's not 'lack of knowledge' or ignorance, it's choice.

Being influenced by others is not something I bother with when buying a car. My money, my choice. 

Edited by FurryFriend

VAG used 'Implausible / Irregular' test results to get Co2 g/km test results on various Euro 6 Diesels and Petrols as they had to admit late 2015 early 2016 after they were caught on the Euro 5 blatant cheating.

Like many caught lying they were not sure what else might be discovered so just put their hands up on something else but were unsure just what would come out in the wash, then when it does not seem as bad as first admitted they make out just an error.

So the VW Group said that many more might have been 'mistakes' and after Re-testing had to revise Test Results and revise the Co2 g/km & even buy back some vehicles, suspend sales etc of some VW's, Audi's & SEAT's but no Skoda's.  (some sales leases were suspended for a short while until the all clear was given.)

It all got lost in the Media NoX cheating reports of the Defeat Devices but basically VW Group had been cheating and called it errors, as in they made a mistake and were caught.

http://autocar.co.uk/car-news/industry/vw-emissions-scandal-nine-vw-vehicles-have-false-co2-ratings 

Edited by Awayoffski

I reckon I will keep my Diesel Yeti and just fly a Pirate Flag,

I would need at least a 1.4 to change to petrol

• Like 2

6 hours ago, BillN_33 said:

We recently sold our three year old 1 series with 1.6 turbo petrol. Looking at replacing it with another BMW we got a few quotes from Sytners.

The finance side determines the Future Value of the vehicles on PCP, they are predicting what the vehicle will be worth in three years in the future market place. For a three year PCP on a 1 Series the petrol versions are now holding their money better than the diesels.

For the 3 series the retained value is much closer and model dependent but even if the retained value as a percentage is the same you still loose more on the diesel as it costs more in the first place.

Lee

• Like 1