Ride of SE v SE--L on different tyres

Does anyone have experience of the difference in ride quality of the Fabia SE on its 185/60-15 tyres and the SE-L on 215/45-16 tyres?  Thinking of a one year old Fabia 1.2TSi (110) as a replacement for my wife's 2010 Clio 1.2TCE (which is on 195/50-16 tyres) and has a reasonable ride.

The lack of a CD-player in the Fabia is an annoyance for my wife and I don't fancy having to transfer almost 200 CDs to USB stick or SD card.  The similar Seat Ibiza FR does have a CD player but overall I prefer the Fabia.

Not exactly but...   I used to have a Mk1 Fabia 1.9tdi on 185/60r15 tyres (IIRC) and found the ride quality generally OK (although it suffered from bad understeer, probably because the heavy lump in a small car made it very nose-heavy).   Followed that with a Rapid 1.6tdi on 185/60r15 tyres, ride quality generally OK.

I now have a Seat Toledo (Rapid clone) 1.2tsi on the 215/45r16 tyres and find the ride quality b***dy awful (separate thread refers).   Some opine that this is due to the fact that the tyres are Dunlop Sportmaxx (rather than the tyre size).   This may well be right and I did even consider replacing all 4 tyres in the hope of making the thing less of a bone shaker (but eventually rejected the idea as it might just have been a waste of ~£400).

What is a certainty is that if I find myself considering buying another vw group car, and it has the 215/45r 16 tyres, I'll be wanting an extended test drive and be driving it over some rough road surfaces (not difficult to find around here...).   I believe that the Fabia Mk3 has a more modern chassis/suspension set-up than the 'Rapedo' and the ride quality on the lower profile tyres may be OK;   but I think that you are right to be cautious and would recommend a thorough test drive of an SE-L, especially if it has the Sportmaxx boots.

12 hours ago, simon1304 said:

Not exactly but...   I used to have a Mk1 Fabia 1.9tdi on 185/60r15 tyres (IIRC) and found the ride quality generally OK (although it suffered from bad understeer, probably because the heavy lump in a small car made it very nose-heavy).   Followed that with a Rapid 1.6tdi on 185/60r15 tyres, ride quality generally OK.

I now have a Seat Toledo (Rapid clone) 1.2tsi on the 215/45r16 tyres and find the ride quality b***dy awful (separate thread refers).   Some opine that this is due to the fact that the tyres are Dunlop Sportmaxx (rather than the tyre size).   This may well be right and I did even consider replacing all 4 tyres in the hope of making the thing less of a bone shaker (but eventually rejected the idea as it might just have been a waste of ~£400).

What is a certainty is that if I find myself considering buying another vw group car, and it has the 215/45r 16 tyres, I'll be wanting an extended test drive and be driving it over some rough road surfaces (not difficult to find around here...).   I believe that the Fabia Mk3 has a more modern chassis/suspension set-up than the 'Rapedo' and the ride quality on the lower profile tyres may be OK;   but I think that you are right to be cautious and would recommend a thorough test drive of an SE-L, especially if it has the Sportmaxx boots.

Thanks for your reply.  I plan to have a test drive this afternoon.  Why Skoda, and other brands, insist on fitting such wide low profile tyres on relatively low powered and light cars is beyond me - just for looks?

My 1250kg and 160hp Honda Civic was on 205/55-16 tyres and those tyres were more than adequate.  My 1400kg Octavia vRS 170hp has 225/40-18 tyres and even that is better on its winter 225/45-17s.

Couldn't agree more.   The 215/45r16s on the Fabia/Rapedo are, IMHO, completely unnecessary.   Not only that, they are relatively expensive (compared to 185/60r15s) and the choice is limited, e.g. no Michelin Crossclimates or Goodyear Vector Gen2s available in that size (which, given where some of my family live, I would like to be able to fit).

Have been chatting with local Skoda dealer recently (as I'm thinking of changing to an auto);   the Fabia was on the radar.   The SE has the 185/60r15s but misses out on too many bits and pieces of kit that I wouldn't want to give up.   The SEL has said bits and pieces but comes with 215/45r16s.   I did ask if they would supply an SEL with the smaller wheels but the answer was a firm negative (unless I bought the aditional wheels/tyres - of course!).

As things stand, then, the Fabia is not on the radar anymore.   I'd be interested to know what you think after your test drive though...?

Got a set of winter wheels on the 15" clad with the 185 tires. Firestone winter-something as I remember.

Main difference is that they run QUIET compared to the 16" 215 Bridgestones. Tracking noticeable a tad lesser but not disturbing at all.

Edited by pfaff

philbes, Mk2 Fabia Monte Carlo and vRS got 205/40 R 17 tyres while A1's, Polo's & Ibiza with no more power got 215/40 R 17 tyres. 

Then reviewers and journalists made a big deal of the improved handling when all New 3rd generation Fabia were being driven with 215/40 R17's.

So it is not like Skoda have been at it for a long time and the choice was there not to have 215/40 R 17's fitted.

The crying shame is that Skoda do think Show and not much go is important, but then they find the buyers turning out the cars that look like warm hatches that are anything but.

Edited by Awayoffski

It's always difficult to apportion ride comfort between tyre size vs tyre brand, and of course alloy wheels vs steel wheels. My Aussie spec Fabio came with 185\65\15 steel wheels shod with Nexen tyres (they're a South Korean tyre). I have to say the combination isn't great, but my gut feeling is that it's the (Nexen) brand letting the side down, more so than the tyre size or rim material. I'll give a more definative opinion when I replace the tyres, in about 50,000km. :-) 

On ‎02‎/‎07‎/‎2017 at 13:04, philbes said:

Does anyone have experience of the difference in ride quality of the Fabia SE on its 185/60-15 tyres and the SE-L on 215/45-16 tyres?  Thinking of a one year old Fabia 1.2TSi (110) as a replacement for my wife's 2010 Clio 1.2TCE (which is on 195/50-16 tyres) and has a reasonable ride.

The lack of a CD-player in the Fabia is an annoyance for my wife and I don't fancy having to transfer almost 200 CDs to USB stick or SD card.  The similar Seat Ibiza FR does have a CD player but overall I prefer the Fabia.

Well yesterday I had a test drive in a 2015 Fabia 1.2TSi (110) SE-L.  On the 215/45-16 tyres the ride seemed reasonable to me - certainly better than my Octavia vRS on its 225/40-18s.  I drove the Fabia on a range of roads including dual-carriageway at 70(!), A-roads and narrow lanes.  I stupidly did not check the brand of tyre fitted.  In general I liked the car.

My next step is to have a test drive in a SE model with the 185/60-15 tyres.  I do like the higher spec. of the SE-L.  However, when new the difference between the two specs is around £800, but for 1 year old used cars dealers seem to price the SE-L nearer £1,000 more than the SE.  A £500-600 premium would seem more reasonable.

They price them, ie have Asking Prices, and book prices, that is not the same as 'Need to pay to buy them prices' when they are desperate to shift used cars, 

and as more Lease & Fleet Fabia are getting returned and as the 67 plates are becoming available and the 1.0TSI's Skoda Main Dealers will get real on Pre-Loved car prices. ie Used Cars.

Also have a good look here at the prices. Fabia's go for circa 20% discount:

https://broadspeed.com/new_cars/Skoda/Fabia/Choose_Number_Of_Doors/Hatchback/

Make sure your wife has a good drive, I would think the Fabia will be harder riding than the Clio, French cars are generally a softer set up and ride.

Are you dealing with Winner's or Blade?

2 hours ago, glosrich said:

Also have a good look here at the prices. Fabia's go for circa 20% discount:

https://broadspeed.com/new_cars/Skoda/Fabia/Choose_Number_Of_Doors/Hatchback/

Make sure your wife has a good drive, I would think the Fabia will be harder riding than the Clio, French cars are generally a softer set up and ride.

Are you dealing with Winner's or Blade?

Blade is my nearest Skoda dealer but I will travel (well, 60 miles or so) to get a better deal.
Re. new Fabia - 1.2TSi no longer available - now 1.0TSi.

Ride of the Fabia and our Clio (2010 and 39K miles) didn't seem much different. 

Now also looking at VW Polos as they are not as expensive as I had imagined.  Very few with the 1.2TSi (110) engine which seems to be only available in the SEL version - SE/Match only available with 90 engine.  Wife likes the fact that the Polos have a CD player!