Looking after vrs brake calipers

I just use a washing up brush, when I do the wheels I just give the calliper a scrub at the same time.  No issues 3 years / 47k miles later.

my rims have a ceramic sealant on them but calipers just get a wash with an old tooth brush and washing up brush as part of the (roughly monthly) car wash.  fine after 3 years here also.

On 05/07/2017 at 16:05, neiln said:

my rims have a ceramic sealant on them but calipers just get a wash with an old tooth brush and washing up brush as part of the (roughly monthly) car wash.  fine after 3 years here also.

On 05/07/2017 at 16:05, neiln said:

I'm going to use wonder wheels sealant on rims this weekend, should I do the callipers as well? I woundered if wheel cleaner would do something to the paint. I also worrry about it marking my tarmac drive. Thanks for the advice guys...

1 hour ago, p5stokes said:

I'm going to use wonder wheels sealant on rims this weekend, should I do the callipers as well? I woundered if wheel cleaner would do something to the paint. I also worrry about it marking my tarmac drive. Thanks for the advice guys...

You should do the calipers too. 

Dilute your wonder wheels 50/50 with water. Summertime, it's usually just brake dust and the road grime isn't to bad. Wonder wheels neat in the winter although some say it's too abrasive/chemically!

Try Mucoff, again 50/50 during the summer, supposedly less aggressive to wheels/paint.

This brush works well getting into most places of the caliper through the holes in the wheels. Make sure you get the one exactly like the photos as it has the rubber edge protection to stop you scratching the rims. They do a cheaper version without!

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Vikan-Heavy-Duty-Car-Wash-Cleaning-Brush-Soft-Bristles-Hand-Rubber-Buffer-524652-/261760887980

Small soft brush and some diluted wheel cleaner to remove any brake dust. I use one of these to get at mine with some diluted Bilberry wheel cleaner in a spray bottle:

https://www.shopnshine.co.uk/valet-pro-detailing-brush-small?gclid=CjwKEAjw4vzKBRCt9Zmg8f2blgESJADN5fDgvgkJKhlfXZimL3NjJ5TcCZazOFo7HuCLgwsAjA1LYRoCKNDw_wcB

If you take the wheels off, it's a good time to clean them up and apply some sealant and it should make future cleans easier as the brake dust won't stick as much

2 hours ago, ahenners said:

Small soft brush and some diluted wheel cleaner to remove any brake dust. I use one of these to get at mine with some diluted Bilberry wheel cleaner in a spray bottle:

https://www.shopnshine.co.uk/valet-pro-detailing-brush-small?gclid=CjwKEAjw4vzKBRCt9Zmg8f2blgESJADN5fDgvgkJKhlfXZimL3NjJ5TcCZazOFo7HuCLgwsAjA1LYRoCKNDw_wcB

If you take the wheels off, it's a good time to clean them up and apply some sealant and it should make future cleans easier as the brake dust won't stick as much

Thanks ahenners,much appreciated....

Mine are fine after three-and-a-half years. All I do is sponge them with soapy water whenever washing the car, and give them a thorough clean when I swap summer/winter wheels. They still look as good as new, unlike my alloys which get chewed-up whenever the Missus tries to park the car anywhere near a kerb.

Edited by Orville

I don't use wheel cleaner, even muc-off can be nasty to some stuff.  the rims have a ceramic sealant and this gets topped up with a squirt of sonax bsd from time to time.  usual monthly wash when I do the car is just with the car shampoo, and old wash mitt and the brushes to get to the back of the rims and the caliper.  the wheels get a clean, and de-iron when swapped (summer/winter) but are never heavily soiled.  when swapping the backs will get a squirt/wipe with sonax too so dirt really does n't stick.  No need for aggressive wheel cleaners if the wheels are kept clean regularly.