New Octavia owner - MY15 frustrations

Hello all

I had to cancel my order for a FL Octavia VRS due to the finances (gutted) but I have now got a 2015 Octavia VRS estate. It was so hard keeping on top of all the options and changes to the technology, but I now realise that I've ended up with a MY15 (registered May 2015), with Amundsen + Sat Nav but with MIB1. It would appear that this car was built only weeks too early to get the MIB2.

Whilst it's not the end of the world, as the tech is far superior to anything I've had before, the system does appear sluggish performing certain actions (Voice and Sat Nav although I've just updated my Sat Nav so will see if that's improved). And of course, I'm missing out on the ability to mirror link or Smartlink my phone.

Having trawled the forum and Google I can't find anything recent only speculation from when the MY16 first came out, but IS IT POSSIBLE TO RETROFIT MIB2, to get the quicker system and mirror link etc and What will it cost me? Will a dealer do this?

I have a 2016 MIBI11 and to be honest its not much better. It freezes its sluggish and in this day and age voice recognition should be better. Look at amazons Echo and dot they perform almost flawlessly . In my opinion its a lash up of a head unit but does the job. DAB in my area is almost non existent. Why dont they use a proper aerial not build it into the rear screen.

I highly doubt dealers will be able to do things out of ordinary. You can order one via part number through the dealer, but when asked to fit it, they will look at you in horror as though you've asked the moon!

Even asking for a simple software update on the car is met with such resistance from dealers. These dinosaurs are only really good for warranty issues on the mechanical parts. Even ACC/AEB radar seems to confuse them.

Unless you buy a Tesla, I wouldn't expect any car systems to work smoothly. It's the age old problem hardware manufacturers can't do software. Sony TV for example, great display but shockingly bad software. Only reason Samsung phones are popular because they stopped doing their own system and use adapted software from Google. Same reason why phone mirroring is so popular, even though same features can all be achieved via Bluetooth.

I would go for aftermarket Android or something, with CAN bus (proprietary for O3 must be obtained). Should be fine upgrade and much better then any factory fitted system.

Something like:

10-2-Quad-Core-Android-6-0-Car-Radio-fon

I think it is better investment then go for MIB2 which is not intended for your car at all. Who knows if it will work properly, while these CAN bus system should work well. Inform yourself via internet and find out which system suits fine.

Welcome Nuggiebok, fellow Gloucestershire person here.

No you cant retrofit MIB 2, best you can hope for is check with a Skoda dealer if a software update is available for it, or go the aftermarket route as Nizda suggests.

If you look on settings screen it shows the software version it is running, t hen have a google to see if a later one is available. The actual update is a dealer only process though.

• 4 weeks later...

So after a few more weeks of ownership and regular use, the MIB 1 is VERY frustrating indeed. A few problems im having:

1)cancelling route guidance on the sat nav sometimes results in the map thinking I'm in a foreign country, looks like Germany from the place names. It's happened twice now (I've only cancelled route guidance a few times) and both times the map went to the same place

i have downloaded and installed the new map data 2017.

2) I play my music from an SD card. I usually have it shuffling all tracks. Almost every time I get in the car, shuffle is turned off and so it ends up playing the songs from whatever album the last song was in. Or, it stays on shuffle and shuffles the album the last song was in. This is annoying having to re point to what I want it to play.

3) sat nav is VERY slow to get started. I haven't timed it but it feels like a good couple of minutes whereas music starts instantaneously.

4) traffic updates are useless - often out of date. As is the route guidance itself - following the quickest route doesn't always go the way I know is the quickest.

There are a few other niggles but they slip my mind right now. Perhaps I'd better get saving for the Pioneer system?! 

37 minutes ago, nuggiebok said:

4) traffic updates are useless - often out of date.

You can't blame the sat nav for that - it uses TMC broadcasts, which are the cause of the problem.

I remember the TMC data for the main road south of Chartres in France being over 1 YEAR out of date a few years ago...

Maybe not, but my other half has a Seat Leon 2015 with extremely similar insides yet his seems to manage it far more efficiently than my nav or Google Maps on my phone for example