Windscreen replacement problem

Due to a cracked screen had a replacement carried out by Autoglass.

No problem with the technician, on time and very quick and ready to drive away after a short time for the bonding to cure.

It was not a genuine Skoda VW replacement. No idea where it was manufactured.

The problem is distortion at the bottom 2-5 inches from the base of the screen.

I managed to get a warranty change over with Autoglass but after fitting can still see distortion at base of the screen.

Its not quite as obvious as the first replaced screen.  And could cause problems when going uphill when its disturbing.     

But  this certainly was not on the original screen.

I wonder if anyone else has had this unwanted feature with Autoglass supplied screens. I expect they source the screens from 

the cheapest possible manufacturer. After all they are dealing with thousands in the course of the year. And our insurance companies are picking up the

expected inflated costs, which will in turn be passed back to us with increased premiums.

On 7/9/2017 at 14:08, Awayoffski said:

Down to you to demand then that a OEM replacement is fitted if what has been used is inferior & that can be seen due to distortion.

Contact the insure to say the Autoglass item is not acceptable.

You cannot place a demand if you agreed to a proposal which does not allow OE parts.

OP - check your policy and see what the wording is (found either in the Key Facts or the Schedule). This is what you agreed to before inception. Some insurers will allow OE parts for cars less than three years old, or if there is warranty on the vehicle (this argument is strengthened if there are electrical devices fitted to the screen). 

A couple of links where this is explained:

http://www.glasstecpaul.com/manufacturer-warranty-windscreens/

and

http://www.glasstecpaul.com/motor-insurance-windscreen-cover/

HTH

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Awayoffski said:

^^^ How does an obviously inferior item which it must be if you can see distortion pass muster, 

& why did Autoglass replace the replaced one, then the 2nd one turns out to be as poorly produced.

Aftermarket glass 'meets' the safety criteria. It's not the same as a genuine part and is cheaper to manufacture (also by greater volume). Insurance companies are good to *take* money when there's no trouble, but they don't like to *give* it when there is; big glass companies, or joined up subcon networks want the majority volume of an insco's work, and the net result is a lower invoice value per claim. In order to service the contract and retain some profit at the end of the fiscal year, the supplier will be keen to fit cheaper glass...

Most people don't see the quality issue, and thus the industry band wagon rolls on. 

On 08/07/2017 at 09:29, jeleoto said:

Due to a cracked screen had a replacement carried out by Autoglass.

No problem with the technician, on time and very quick and ready to drive away after a short time for the bonding to cure.

It was not a genuine Skoda VW replacement. No idea where it was manufactured.

The problem is distortion at the bottom 2-5 inches from the base of the screen.

I managed to get a warranty change over with Autoglass but after fitting can still see distortion at base of the screen.

Its not quite as obvious as the first replaced screen.  And could cause problems when going uphill when its disturbing.     

But  this certainly was not on the original screen.

I wonder if anyone else has had this unwanted feature with Autoglass supplied screens. I expect they source the screens from 

the cheapest possible manufacturer. After all they are dealing with thousands in the course of the year. And our insurance companies are picking up the

expected inflated costs, which will in turn be passed back to us with increased premiums.

I have exactly the same issue with my Superb windscreen replaced a couple of weeks ago by Autoglass. Past involvement with Autoglass for warranty issues or lack of satisfaction has proved pointless. I am now too old to waste any more of my life on what is becoming a culture "build down to a price" instead of "up to a quality". Strangly the same day I also had them replace the windscreen on our other car (Suzuki) as that went bang the same day as the Superb's one did. That one is perfect.

May sound a daft question,but are we not allowed to go to an approved Skoda dealer to have a genuine screen fitted on insurance?

Edited by RickW

2 hours ago, RickW said:

May sound a daft question,but are we not allowed to go to an approved Skoda dealer to have a genuine screen fitted on insurance?

You can go where you like but if you check your insurance you will probably find if you don't use their specified supplier the excess is larger.

19 minutes ago, peter3197 said:

You can go where you like but if you check your insurance you will probably find if you don't use their specified supplier the excess is larger.

Not true with most policies.

Inscos are getting away with it. There is a requirement [for an insco or broker] to take reasonable steps to ensure a customer is given appropriate information about a policy in good time and in a comprehensible form so that the customer can make an informed decision about the arrangements proposed.

http://www.glasstecpaul.com/motor-insurance-windscreen-cover/