Exhaust dilemma

I know I have to make the decision, but I am undecided. There is surface rust on my original exhaust, which is to be expected at the cars age. Now, eventually it will wear out, so should I renew now, or wait until it fails? I was thinking about having a stainless steel one made up and fitted. I don't want a noisy one, not at my age, but one that looks good and maybe has a nice tone without being intrusive inside the car. My good local independent garage manager has suggested a really good exhaust place that can make one up in front of you, they are in Northampton. He has dealt with them himself and recommends them. I asked him to get their address over this weekend. So, do I spend the money on something that does not really need replacing straight away, or spend it in a couple of years time when it does? Oh the dilemma!!

Ask your self a couple of questions.

Can they drop everything else they"re doing when when your existing one fails and you need it immediately?

Will you be able to get to them without cancelling your plans?

Will it be cheaper then?

Will you still be intending to keep the car?

I think the answer really is that if you can afford it now, then go for it. Why not spoil yourself if thats what you want. Why wait and put it on later for somebody else"s benefit?

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, stevfire2 said:

Ask your self a couple of questions.

Can they drop everything else they"re doing when when your existing one fails and you need it immediately?

Will you be able to get to them without cancelling your plans?

Will it be cheaper then?

Will you still be intending to keep the car?

I think the answer really is that if you can afford it now, then go for it. Why not spoil yourself if thats what you want. Why wait and put it on later for somebody else"s benefit?

Yes stevfire2, you have certainly put some good points forward. I do intend to keep the car for some years yet and I would like to get the maximum benefit from a stainless steel exhaust. I am swayed towards doing it, once I find out the price.  

My wife and I have owned 5 MK1 and MK2 Octavia's for many years, all of which have not required replacement exhausts in the time we have owned them.

The standard exhaust appears to last in excess of 10 years, surface rust there may be but they are still sound.

Who sees the surface rust usually ?

If you have surplus money in these financial challenging times and wish to change a perfectly serviceable exhaust due to surface rust then go ahead. 

Personally I would wait until it shows positive signs of failing then change it.

13 minutes ago, jong123 said:

My wife and I have owned 5 MK1 and MK2 Octavia's for many years, all of which have not required replacement exhausts in the time we have owned them.

The standard exhaust appears to last in excess of 10 years, surface rust there may be but they are still sound.

Who sees the surface rust usually ?

If you have surplus money in these financial challenging times and wish to change a perfectly serviceable exhaust due to surface rust then go ahead. 

Personally I would wait until it shows positive signs of failing then change it.

I fully understand what you are saying. Trouble is, my head says stick with the original exhaust, but my heart says change it for something that will out last the life of the car and give a better sound without being too noisy.