Skoda Yeti Problems

danjelzig

My 1st  Yeti, late 2010 2wd 110hp , bought by me April 2011, an ex demonstrator spent all its life here in Finistere, about 0.75km from the atlantic edge, never garaged not often washed, never had any exterior traces of zinc inclusion blisters etc and that was in salty rain etc My second yeti of 2014 on a 63 plate has been treated in the same manner, its a Mk1 Adventure, has no signs of zinc probs, think that dispels others claims re the blistering probs and needing garaging etc!

3 yetis since 2010 in my case, never garaged and no rust or other paint problems so please consider that people often post about problems but fewer post to report their cars are still OK. I haven't the time or memory to tell you how many cars i've owned since 1970

I have been running cars since 1989. Ok not as long as some members but long enough for me to have had rusty cars and think I could spot them.

When I took mine in for the zinc inclusion issue, I thought it was only on 1 door. I had two blisters on one door, and a tiny imperfection on another which I was concerned about but was not convinced was a rust spot.

When the bodywork guy went over the car, he pointed out tiny (and I mean tiny) marks on every door. To the naked eye you probably would not see them. If you did see them you'd think it was a teeny imperfection in the paint and nothing more. But under a magnifying glass you could see bubbling and the very early forming of another blister. Yet you simply do not find the same problems anywhere else on the car.

So when I say you probably have blooms but haven't noticed them, I'm not being disparaging - I'm just saying you have to literally get right up close to the door with a strong lens and scrutinise it at very close measure. I only noticed mine at 3 years, but when you see how tiny these things start before becoming visible, it was obvious it had been developing for many months before they had grown to the point where I had detected them.

I would bet a fair wager that armed with a strong lens, you will find every yeti over 24 months old (unless it's been a garage queen) probably has some evidence of this happening on the lower doors. Every Yeti in the dealership had this. I cannot believe some out there have "got away with it".