Creaking Noise 1.6 TDI Diesel Saloon

Dogtanian1234

I was wondering if anyone has had a problem with a creaking noise coming from axle/suspension when passengers or the driver are entering or leaving the car, seems to be worse when the car is parked on a hill. Checked the springs and they look very solid so don't think it's that and it has just passed its MOT with no advisories. The car is only 4 years old with 55,000 miles on the clock not sure if it's build quality or something else.

Well got the car back today and the dealership advised the creaking noise is because the brake pads have just been recently changed but the noise should be gone when the pads have been bed in properly. Apparently when the handbrake is applied this causes the creaking sound but when the handbrake is off the sound disappears.

• 2 weeks later...
On 21/07/2017 at 22:18, Dogtanian1234 said:

Well got the car back today and the dealership advised the creaking noise is because the brake pads have just been recently changed but the noise should be gone when the pads have been bed in properly. Apparently when the handbrake is applied this causes the creaking sound but when the handbrake is off the sound disappears.

Ha, I don't believe that for a minute... This forum is full of rapids with creaking noises.... Mine has one sounding like the front left suspension... The door seals creak (remidied by pfgummifledge - not sure how to spell it!) And I have a rattle from the drivers seatbelt plastic cover, the one right next to my ear!...

I think most of us agree that the cars are built to a cost from the parts bin but they still offer great value and relative comfort with a huge boot :) even with these issues I still love our rapid and we're on our second one...I'd only change this one for a 7 seater (Audi Q7 or something like that) or maybe a sports car but then I'd be having my mid life crisis! 

11 minutes ago, JonBRapid said:

Ha, I don't believe that for a minute... This forum is full of rapids with creaking noises.... Mine has one sounding like the front left suspension... The door seals creak (remidied by pfgummifledge - not sure how to spell it!) And I have a rattle from the drivers seatbelt plastic cover, the one right next to my ear!...

I think most of us agree that the cars are built to a cost from the parts bin but they still offer great value and relative comfort with a huge boot :) even with these issues I still love our rapid and we're on our second one...I'd only change this one for a 7 seater (Audi Q7 or something like that) or maybe a sports car but then I'd be having my mid life crisis! 

I was suspicious as well when I got the car back and thought the dealers might be pulling a fast one but once I got it back the noise dissapears if the handbrake the off and left in gear so it is definitely the rear brake pads like they said. Also had it also checked by a mechanic afterwards for piece of mind and he confirmed the same thing cheap pads and because they are just brand new was the cause.