steering

This could be start of one potencial big problem!!

Ok, lets start!! So my friend bought Fiat 500(I know right :D) and he call me asking me if I want to drive and feel the car!!

Im a petrolhead and he didnt need to say twice, so we agree to drive!

And now comes interesting part...Fiat 500 has 2 drive modes:

1)City( steering wheel is so light that it can be steered(I dont belive this word exist-sorry for my bloody bad english) with just one finger and

2)I dont know how to call it but steering wheel is harder(a little bit tough)...

And my steering wheel is so hard that its almost imposible to steer!! Like it hasnt got steering pump.

It doesnt leak, it doesnt sound bad(servo pump-just when its full right or left-is this even normal?), so does anyone know what can be wrong?

I would like to steer with just one finger, yeaaa it would be nice....just kidding :)

I know on our cars steering wheels are harder than on small franch and italians but it is abnormal.

So folks pls help me!! How's hard are your steering wheels?? xD

Can I check what is bad?

Ooo yeah, me who does like big cars more than his family was thriilled with 500 Fiat(Ficolino hihihiih), what a great little car for fun in town!!

Edited by MilanM

You simply get used to softness of steering very quickly.

It’s a sort of philosophy behind degree of servo force some manufactures put on steering.

Recently removed accessory belt on my 1.9 tdi and went to test drive - servo was off and the steering is so stiff you can barely move the wheels.

You can always inspect belt tension and other accessories but I think it's just the way VW group design things. Winter tires and reduced pressure also contribute.

Steering is not super smooth in city but it's not annoying. On the other side, on motorway I think driver get a better pace.

• Like 1

@MilanM - Start by checking the PAS fluid level. If this is low you get less (or no) assistance. Also, whilst this may be hard to believe, the steering is almost always heavier if you have well-worn front tyres.

Oh and I'll bet that your Superb has wider tyres that your friend's 500. That will make a difference too.

• Like 1

So what to say, you are both right.

Yesterday I was at service and I trust that man who said, car underneath is acctualy in good order, its tyres that are bad.

In fact soo bad that he said to me if you have money buy them immediatly.

I would agree with Ken and it sound pretty much unbelivable but that how it is about warned tyres and hardness of steering wheel . Yes my Sup have 17'' summer tyres so could someone recomend good tyres(I dont mind if the price is high). PS. Be advice I have winter tyres on other 16" sets.

Ps.Also yesterday my friend drove me in his Peugot 407 and it is pretty much comfortable than Sup, but thats price we must pay for driving such a beaty!! Thats and not soo easy on steering wheel:)

Not forgetting Milan's engine probably weigh's similar to a FIAT 500.  I had the same engine in mine, but never felt the steering was too heavy.  Tyres and tyre pressures will always have a noticeable effect.

I still miss my Superb! :crying:

Gaz

• Sad 1

7 hours ago, Rabarbaras said:

Hey I wanted to ask what could be wrong, when I steer full to the left or right I get a little Squeking noise. The steering fluid is full, does it have samething to do with the pump?

Most likely in your case just VW feature. If it's intermittent than ok, else could be the sign of alternator pulley gone bad (you could got a vibration too).

Good advice would be to almost never turn the full lock. This will prolong life of steering rack.

Edited by Speedy46

To short answer your q, yes it is normal to squal when its full lock left or right..

Some kind of update on my problem:

Im thinking of rotation of front and rear tires because front ones are in much worse shape, and when back ones gone for good to replace all of them.

So whats your toughts about that?

• 1 month later...

No ratchet alternator pulley on a V6. Pump can make noise at maximum turn due to pressure, but belt should not, if it does, check the belt, belt tensioner, rollers and alternator bearings as well as the pump.

Edited by dieselV6
  • Like 1

I dont know, I was yesterday at my mechanic and he said it is normal for VAG cars especially passat b5.5 to make sound when it is full locked, so for now I will be quit and wait if something brake, but she visle around when I bought it.