European Roadside Assistance

Off to France in September, so I'm trying to find out what cover is available in Europe. 

Reading the Skoda Roadside Assistance handbook, it says that if you break down on a French motorway, they cannot arrange for assistance to be sent to you. You need to be towed off the motorway, then call them to attend and repair your car. What isn't clear is whether they will reimburse the cost of recovery. Anyone know?

• 1 month later...

Sorry, cannot answer about reimbursement of the initial tow charge off the motorway however I do know that only the official autoroute towing company can recover you  from the autoroute.

Having just returned from France I looked into this before I went as a worked colleague warned me about this. I don;t think you can get any money back for the tow off the motorway as this is insisted on by the companies that manage the french motorways - it is something you 'accept' by using their motorways.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, my two year old Superb broke down just South of Lyon about 6 weeks ago on one of the toll roads. The Skoda breakdown cover paid for the tow - a very frustrating removal from the motorway to a village in the middle of nowhere to be told that it was lunch time for the next two hours so they could not do anything. It was only after they then looked at the car and confirmed that there was nothing they could do (after lunch) that Skoda would take any further action. Not a great start to my holiday!

Car was returned to Yorkshire by the Skoda recovery firm, paid for again by the breakdown cover.

Hope you do not need the service!
I have been told today that  my car should now have been fixed (the third time I have been told that) so fingers crossed.

I have been impressed with the Skoda breakdown service in general - just wished I had not needed to use it as often as I have.

Hi

The breakdown service people spoke to the garage directly and sorted it out. The only question the tow person  asked me was whether I had run out of fuel. Afterwards I realised this is probably because a breakdown company would not pay in that circumstance.

The problem is with the fuel electrics. The latest fix is to replace the fuse box, as apparently there was a dodgey connector! Fingers crossed when I pick it up later in the week.

Edited by magnifigeek