Sat Nav - Postcode Search?

Paulq

Took delivery of my Yeti today and am very happy with it indeed - handles really well and an extended drive home from collecting it was very enjoyable.  I even enjoyed cleaning it when I got it home :)

I have one question which I hope you good folks can help with.  Mine is the SE L with Nav and I can't seem to find how to get the nav to accept a post code search for routing.  Does it exist or is it limited to town and street name?

Thank you.

It exists and works but you have to find it- it comes up after you find a box down in the left hand corner- if i could describe it better i would!

21 hours ago, Paulq said:

Took delivery of my Yeti today and am very happy with it indeed - handles really well and an extended drive home from collecting it was very enjoyable.  I even enjoyed cleaning it when I got it home :)

I have one question which I hope you good folks can help with.  Mine is the SE L with Nav and I can't seem to find how to get the nav to accept a post code search for routing.  Does it exist or is it limited to town and street name?

Thank you.

I too have been wondering how you do this after getting really frustrated the other day 

4 hours ago, pee81 said:

I too have been wondering how you do this after getting really frustrated the other day 

Looks like I did you a favour too then :)

• Like 1

• 3 months later...
4 hours ago, Hillmanrally said:

I also have a 17 Yeti, I only get part postcode then "does not exist"

you refer to a p--- button in bottom left all I can see is a faint "world" icon

Its a virtual button on the screen.
When inputting a new destination touch to select City then that virtual button "Ptcd" appears at bottom left of screen.

I have found a lot of genuine postcodes are not in the sat nav when trying to find places along open roads, rather than specific streets with houses thete.

EG trying to find a bridge where the road crosses a canal for work. I can get the postcode from our work map system, but it sometimes is not available in the sat nav

That's interesting, I thought it was only dwellings/offices/shops/other occupied buildings etc. that had postcodes? Learn something new every day.

Part of what we manage at work are quite large garage sites, not aware that they have postcodes (wouldn't know where to look them up if they did) so we just use that for the nearest house.

Not looked at the Yeti sat nav for that purpose, but if it takes map references that would be a better way to go. I've used postcodes in the country sometimes and you can be a long way from where you want to be, but I guess that as the name suggests it's not intended for great accuracy but for mail delivery. 

3 hours ago, VAGCF said:

... if it takes map references that would be a better way to go. I've used postcodes in the country sometimes and you can be a long way from where you want to be... 

AFAIK there aren't any realistic sat-navs that accept GB OS map references.  In the near term, the development of 'what3words' has come a long way in a very short time; there's now a working mobile app.  Mercedes have just included it in their sat-nav but it will probably take a while for it to trickle down to us. 

Yes, I thought my Garmin might accept map references but it doesn't. You can enter them when planning a route on the PC but not directly into the unit itself.

I guess for that type of thing you need a GPS. Also using map references isn't as quick and user friendly as using  a sat nav which for most folks does the job fine.

On 25/11/2017 at 18:13, VAGCF said:

Not looked at the Yeti sat nav for that purpose, but if it takes map references that would be a better way to go. I've used postcodes in the country sometimes and you can be a long way from where you want to be, but I guess that as the name suggests it's not intended for great accuracy but for mail delivery.

For postcodes that are troublesome on the Amundsen and most sat-navs you could use GPS coordinates.
Easy to get them from here: http://www.mapcoordinates.net/en

Had a quick look at mine this morning and I can't see anywhere to enter GPS co-ordinates (which is what I meant rather than map references) though I didn't explore everything. Have got the latest Amundsen.

Edited by VAGCF

1 hour ago, VAGCF said:

Had a quick look at mine this morning and I can't see anywhere to enter GPS co-ordinates (which is what I meant rather than map references) though I didn't explore everything. Have got the latest Amundsen.

New Destination
Options
On Map.