Columbus icons facelift

Hi folks, 

Was comparing mt columbus touch screen to one in my brothers car today. He has coloured icons like attached and also has an icon for air conditioning. 

My icons are black with plain text writing and I don't have the air conditioning icon at all. See attached for pictures of his. Am I missing a setting or software update? 

Thanks, 

Mick 

IMAG1473.jpg

IMAG1472.jpg

Edited by Micks_address

In the manual - from the pictures, it looks like "Grid" display is colour, and "Horizontal" display is in mono .

To set : (from manual:)

To display the overview of Infotainment menus, press the MENU sensor field. To set the display mode, press the button MENU sensor field and then tap the

function surface  SETTINGS Screen Menu:.
Select the Grid display » Fig. 173 or Horizont. display » Fig. 174 option.

Select Grid there.  See if that works (page 130 in the manual.) 

54 minutes ago, Dithane said:

In the manual - from the pictures, it looks like "Grid" display is colour, and "Horizontal" display is in mono .

To set : (from manual:)

To display the overview of Infotainment menus, press the MENU sensor field. To set the display mode, press the button MENU sensor field and then tap the

function surface  SETTINGS Screen Menu:.
Select the Grid display » Fig. 173 or Horizont. display » Fig. 174 option.

Select Grid there.  See if that works (page 130 in the manual.) 

thank you. I will try after work. im curious as to why he has an air conditioning icon on his setup and I dont

p.58 - there seems to be a Personalisation section in Settings. The air-con setting looks like it's there.

Have fun !!  (Don't have one - but some other FL owner should be able to help more.)

• Like 1

Apologies. I mislead in my initial post. If I press Menu - Settings - Screen and at the top under "Menu" I have the options of Grid or List. Selecting grid gives me colour images and list gives the black and white carousel. 

IMG_3159.JPG

IMG_3160.JPG

4 hours ago, Micks_address said:

thanks.. I should really read the manual!

You're going to read the manual? - wimp.  :biggrin:

All I can say is, "You lucky bar stewards!"  

I'm slumming it with a 2014 Columbus.......

......which I love btw because it's soooooo much better than my 2010 Columbus! 

2 hours ago, SC03OTT said:

Apologies. I mislead in my initial post. If I press Menu - Settings - Screen and at the top under "Menu" I have the options of Grid or List. Selecting grid gives me colour images and list gives the black and white carousel. 

IMG_3159.JPG

IMG_3160.JPG

Dont think you have columbus as I have no physical buttons at all? 

I cant see the option  under screen settings.. I'll post pictures in a while 

47 minutes ago, Micks_address said:

Dont think you have columbus as I have no physical buttons at all? 

I cant see the option  under screen settings.. I'll post pictures in a while 

Good god. You're right. I'm well off with this one. As you were :blush:

@Micks_address  -- The manual was here : http://www.skoda-auto.com/en/mini-apps/owners-manuals/pages/octavia.aspx

.. And they have the infotainment and the car detail, all in one manual now. Used be separate Manuals. So much of the car is run through the infotainment now - it's all mashed together!  

And for yourself and @SC03OTT .. manual says many of the features common across Columbus, Amundsen, Bolero. Looks like you have the Bolero, SC03OTT.

The Personalisation stuff starts on  p.58 - main info is on p59 & 60. That looks like where the Air-con setting might be hiding.

The Colour Grid / B-W Horizontal setting is on p.130.

12 hours ago, Dithane said:

@Micks_address  -- The manual was here : http://www.skoda-auto.com/en/mini-apps/owners-manuals/pages/octavia.aspx

.. And they have the infotainment and the car detail, all in one manual now. Used be separate Manuals. So much of the car is run through the infotainment now - it's all mashed together!  

And for yourself and @SC03OTT .. manual says many of the features common across Columbus, Amundsen, Bolero. Looks like you have the Bolero, SC03OTT.

The Personalisation stuff starts on  p.58 - main info is on p59 & 60. That looks like where the Air-con setting might be hiding.

The Colour Grid / B-W Horizontal setting is on p.130.

I think my issue is that personalization hasn't been enabled on my car... I don't see an option in the menu's to enable it.. ive emailed dealer to see if they know how to

ok so interestingly enough my dealer has replied on this. He said my car was a week 20 build, cars from week 22 have the colour icons and there is no software update available for my unit.. seems strange that the hardware changed between week 20 and 22 and that it cant be applied to my unit... if the hardware is the same you would have thought software might do it.

Mmm ... yep, it is surprising (though not impossible, I guess)  that any Week 22 changes would be made to the FL - having just emerged off the line, a few weeks before.

Dealers are not hugely up to muster with the detail stuff on any of the cars (nor indeed are they really that interested), and that answer sounds like a convenient clutching at straws. I call Alternative Facts!

Keep eye on forums here and someone may have an answer. 

And ..  can you compare with your brother-in-law's car to see what software versions the two units show. ( To determine the software version, tap the MENU sensor field and then the  "the cogs icon" System information.)  

[EDIT - correction to earlier post - @SC03OTT - that's an Amundsen in his car, not a Bolero - missed the NAV button ! ]

Edited by Dithane

19 minutes ago, Dithane said:

Mmm ... yep, it is surprising (though not impossible, I guess)  that any Week 22 changes would be made to the FL - having just emerged off the line, a few weeks before.

Dealers are not hugely up to muster with the detail stuff on any of the cars (nor indeed are they really that interested), and that answer sounds like a convenient clutching at straws. I call Alternative Facts!

Keep eye on forums here and someone may have an answer. 

And ..  can you compare with your brother-in-law's car to see what software versions the two units show. ( To determine the software version, tap the MENU sensor field and then the  "the cogs icon" System information.)  

[EDIT - correction to earlier post - @SC03OTT - that's an Amundsen in his car, not a Bolero - missed the NAV button ! ]

Yes they are different hardware and software versions... his is h54 mine is h50, they both can do pretty much the same thing so im sure mine can be software updated... maybe just need to wait for an update to become available

IMAG1474.jpg

IMAG1478.jpg

Mmm - OK .. well, updates are referred to in p.134 of the manual.  Oh, and manual is dated 05.2017 on last page. So you must have a very early build FL.

I missed out on Smartlink (Apple Carplay/Android Auto), as it didn't work on the early Fabia III - they only fixed it the week mine was built! I didn't order it because the people on the forum here were having probs with it. And at the time, they were charging serious money for the Bolero with Mirrorlink (which didn't work).

Now they're standard on the SEL. Grrrr!!! 

Ciaoo!

in fairness im not missing much.. the colour icon do look nice.. I also do have gesture control of some sort as on the nav sceen if I bring my finger close to the screen the menu pops up.. id say its very likely can be software updated. I doubt they changed yhe physical hardware... although maybe they did..

• Like 1

Just now, Micks_address said:

in fairness im not missing much.. the colour icon do look nice.. I also do have gesture control of some sort as on the nav sceen if I bring my finger close to the screen the menu pops up.. id say its very likely can be software updated. I doubt they changed yhe physical hardware... although maybe they did..

also I notice my brothers navigation says 2017/2018

mine just says 2017... I think here was a navigation update in june.. which im guessing my car doesn't have...

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, vrsage said:

Any updates on this one guys? 

Keen to to learn more and see if the icons can be changed or not. 

Well I was told if you were post week 22 build you get the new icons. I'm doubt the hardware changed much so Id be confident a software update would do it. Depends then on frequency of updates. I think mine probably could be due a July update as maps are updated end of June?

• 2 months later...