Is the 1.4 TSI 150 enough for the Kodiaq and family of 4? (no towing planned)

1 hour ago, Awayoffski said:

Jacro,

we will never know the length of the journeys in the Diesel or Petrol engine cars unless you tell us, so how many miles usually on a drive and is this in or out of town?

& just you or with passengers / weight?

Does the TDI give 40mpg when being used on short commuting in town type journeys?

Yes

29 minutes ago, Awayoffski said:

Amazeballs! 

So 400 miles of just town use would just need only 10 gallons.  Wunderbah.

Town + motorway. I almost exclusively use ACC for all acceleration which I believe helps.

Edited by bigboss

Sorry i was replying to Jacro on the 40 mpg achieved with town driving in a 150ps TDI Kodiak.

As to Combined economy, that requires a combination of Urban & Extra Urban, if it is mostly Urban then not really a 'Combined figure'. 

If someone says town driving then that is 'Urban'. 

40 mpg Urban is pretty good in a Mid Size SUV, almost makes it as good as a small city car used in a city or town.

As we know those official figures the manufacturer publish, they are obviously not only related to what Skoda gives the Authorities, they are related to a vehicle in a temperature controlled building on a rolling road going no place, 

with a light driver, no passengers and no relation to the real world.

After September we will see what happens in real world tests, maybe.

http://skoda.co.uk/pages/fuel-consumption-statement.aspx 

Edited by Awayoffski

The mpg is going to vary considerably, although I have a petrol DSG Yeti I will give some examples,

clear A roads 44-47 mpg

normal commute 36-40 mpg

school holiday commute (less traffic) 39-42 mpg

driving in London when congested 31-37 mpg

So basically the worst option uses over half as much fuel again as ideal condition.

A colleague at work has a VW diesel and says on 5 mile winter commutes (including the crawl for Walton bridge) gets only 31 mpg, but gets nearer 50mpg on long trips, so sounds like diesels have even bigger variation depending on conditions.

If you drive in urban traffic and are heavy footed at each traffic light not exactly going to save much with a diesel.  Possibly going to have to do 50,000 miles + to recover the extra initial cost.   Do you really think the residuals for diesels are going to be strong in 2020s with the current series of bad PR.  

The market has changed, I think the latest July car sales figures have diesels down over 20% on a year ago.  People realising how strong the new generation of petrols are, and if you are really lucky good chance the brand new variable geometry 1.5 petrol will be substituted for current 1.4 before any order is built.

Back to the point. I reckon the original poster should ge the diesel if doing largeish miles. And also consider two of the biggest factors in any car purchase 1. Enjoyment. After driving both the diesel wins. Effortless power delivery and loads of torque without the need to rev so hard. 

2. Depreciation. The diesel will hold its value better than the petrol even with the negativity diesels are getting. That's why the Audi Q5 d was the least depreciating car over the last 3 years holding an eye watering 76% of its value. 

Jacro,  eye watering indeed,

enough to bring a tear to the glass eye of a Skoda Used car Salesperson.
just a small point, Audi Dealerships asking prices on used cars is not the same as Audi Dealership selling prices on used cars.

what they get in cash / money after it sits a while waiting for a buyer.

Really according to you, or something you read, an  Audi Q5 from 2014 has only lost 24% of the purchase price when someone that bought one has sold it, or just traded in.

Cash money, not Audi / VW Lease type residuals where they bought it and it goes to an Audi Dealership to be sold used....

http://autoexpress.co.uk/audi/q5

http://myaudiq5.com/index.php/topic/1791-residual-values 

Edited by Awayoffski

Was a survey done by the independent or guardian. Regardless of  that or other info my advice is sound. My brother in law who has the petrol is kicking himself for his mistake. 

7 minutes ago, Jacro said:

Was a survey done by the independent or guardian. Regardless of  that or other info my advice is sound. My brother in law who has the petrol is kicking himself for his mistake. 

1) Audi Q5 isn't representative of all Diesel cars. Even petrol Ferraris hold on to their value very well. In fact, there are many petrol cars in that same top 10 survey.

2) If you're on PCP, depreciation isn't an issue.

3) If your commute is a lot of urban, then Diesel is worse due to DPF, emissions and worse economy. Paris, Madrid, Athens and Mexico City are banning all Diesels by 2025.

4) Your brother in law obviously didn't do his homework well. People need to choose cars and engine according to driving styles, type of commute and annual mileage.

Diesel is advisable for a lot of people but certainly isn't the only sensible option. In many cases, petrol is more sensible.

Edited by bigboss
  • Like 1

24 minutes ago, Jacro said:

My brother in law who has the petrol is kicking himself for his mistake. 

And He will be laughing on the other side of his face if keeping the car for any length of tim,e as he wont have to pay a fortune for a new DPF, additional expenses on adblue and more for his fuel, that's before anything the government may decide to implement.

There are least as many people using diesel when its not suitable for their needs (because they are hung up better MPG figures)  as people that do actually benefit from running a diesel.

Horses for courses.

Edited by Mr Grump

13 hours ago, bigboss said:

2) If you're on PCP, depreciation isn't an issue.

3) If your commute is a lot of urban, then Diesel is worse due to DPF, emissions and worse economy. Paris, Madrid, Athens and Mexico City are banning all Diesels by 2025.

4) Your brother in law obviously didn't do his homework well. People need to choose cars and engine according to driving styles, type of commute and annual mileage.

Diesel is advisable for a lot of people but certainly isn't the only sensible option. In many cases, petrol is more sensible.

Probably taking PCP deal and probably looking to buy the car at end of term so depreciation is of little concern.

Work commute is about 20 minutes, mostly urban (and 0-60 is faster in the petrol other than the top end diesel I believe, Speed to 70 is less of a concern).

Annual mileage is usually < 10k miles, so would probably take something like 8-10 years to make savings with diesel fuel to make it worth while, and that's if daily drive was long enough to get the max benefit from its economy vs petrol.

Diesel is probably best for a majority of drivers but not everyone.

5 minutes ago, Zapirian said:

Probably taking PCP deal and probably looking to buy the car at end of term so depreciation is of little concern.

Work commute is about 20 minutes, mostly urban (and 0-60 is faster in the petrol other than the top end diesel I believe, Speed to 70 is less of a concern).

Annual mileage is usually < 10k miles, so would probably take something like 8-10 years to make savings with diesel fuel to make it worth while, and that's if daily drive was long enough to get the max benefit from its economy vs petrol.

Diesel is probably best for a majority of drivers but not everyone.

Agree that Petrol without doubt is the right option for you. You won't be pulling trailers, your mileage is low and drive is mostly urban. 

4 minutes ago, bigboss said:

Agree that Petrol without doubt is the right option for you. You won't be pulling trailers, your mileage is low and drive is mostly urban. 

Totally. Many will just buy the "better" diesel without consideration of how they'll be using it.

• Like 1

I test drove the 1.4tsi (150) with a manual gearbox and was impressed. OK, it wss only me and the dealer in the car but it had a lot of kick when accelerating. But then I'm used to the 1.6TDI (110) in my Octy GL3 so anything would have more kick than that. I don't tend to need a lot of power and I don't do the mileage for diesel, so I've made the switch. It'll be my first petrol car for about 10 years. I've gone for it with DSG for a more relaxed driving experience, with the optional paddles for when I want to take over the gears. 

• Like 1

Have to say I have the 1.4TSi (150) DSG and never found the car to be wanting even with 6 people in it (4 adults and 2 kids) or 5 large adults. It will never get sports car performance but if I wanted that I would have gone for something else.

• Like 1

I think you might be right, in 3 years time a Euro 6 TDI will be in as much demand as a 3 year old used SUV as a euro 5 TDI is now and the depreciation will be high. eg, Even at much cheapness they will be going to auction and not worth very much.

The TDI's will have depreciated by £2.500 or more than the petrols.

Who will want to own a 2017 TDI / SCR in 2022?

bargepole.jpg

Edited by Awayoffski