Bluetooth audio lag while using 12v socket

I've been using the blutooth audio streaming in my Octy with Bolero and it's been working fine, now I've bought a lumbar cushion with massage function from ebay (great on long journeys) that I connect to the 12v socket near the handbrake.

The problem is when I have the massage cushion on the audio streaming gets very laggy and cuts a lot.

Any idea what might be causing this?

Interference from the motor on massage cushion? This can be through the air or radiating from or along the power cable.

Try moving the phone away from the cushion.

Does it stop when phone is not charging?

Do you only get the problem when phone is charging? Then interference is coming through the phone cable.

Is the charger a good quality one? A branded charger such as a Tomtom one is good choice, they incorporate more filtering than a cheapo.

Edited by CCTaylor

Must be interference, cheap transformers hooked up to 12v cigarette sockets are notorious for it so it may be the transformer used in the cigarette socket plug of the eBay cushion.

I use a quality branded 12v to 2x 5V USB charger in mine and regularly charge my phone via it, whilst also steaming Bluetooth audio at the same time. No issues with interference.

Thanks both for your response!

It happens even when phone is not charging so it must be the cheap socket plug that causes the issue.. Luckily everything else seems fine in the car electronics so I'm using Aux instead of BT to get around this.

And I still recommend the lumbar cushion for those who suffers from back pain on long journeys :)

There's quite a lot on the forum about poor dab reception that appears to be linked to cheap / poor quality 12V to 5V DC USB power adapters. This appears to be similar.

The units should be CE marked and not cause undue interference, how many of the units on sale are actually tested and compliant seems to be a different story.

The adapters will have a switching regulator inside to "chop up" the DC to reduce the voltage, this however happens at quite a high frequency and without adequate filtering lots of radio frequency (RF) noise can be generated and conducted through the vehicle electrics or radiated from the wiring - the amount will depend on the design and the load (what's plugged in).

My advice is simple, if you get an issue remove the adapter and see if the fault disappears, if it does try another. Trying to sort out / filter the interference on such a low cost item isn't worth it. There are devices that can be added to more expensive items but you need to know what you are doing and even then it's a bit of a black art.