coil wiring advice

Hi guys, after alot of messing around trying to chase an intermittent open circuit code on cylinder 4 I think I have a dodgy pin/wire on the connector, so ordered a new connector with wires and insulated inline connectors. My question is, does connecting the 4 wires with inline connectors affect anything rather than being wire to wire. My plan was to connect them with the connectors to see if the fault goes, then if it does solder them with proper heat shrink. Also does anybody know the part number of audi tt coil conduit, or a decent after market heat shield for the wiring. Help and advice really appreciated 

Got the plug and wires connected and all seems fine, no code coming back after a hard drive and a steady drive. Got the car right up to temp and think all is good no codes coming back after several scans.....but the engine seems to misfire between 2000 and 2700rpm, no codes but I can definitely feel it, on driving it seems fine and boosts well and pulls like it should, but sat as I go through the Rev range it is defo missing between this rev band. Any clues were my next fix will start. Getting a bit tedious now.

Thanks for that andy68, that's what I was looking for before the replacement plug. Forgot all about awesomegti . Any one on here done this replacement before, or anyone got a link from a golf site on whats inlovled

Easiest option is to splice it in around the coolant sensor area, replacing complete loom is time consuming. Solder the joints and heat shrink and insulate, take your time and allow a couple of hours. Was  couple of threads knocking about on Audisport and UKMKIV's.

On Saturday, August 19, 2017 at 14:30, andy68 said:

Easiest option is to splice it in around the coolant sensor area, replacing complete loom is time consuming. Solder the joints and heat shrink and insulate, take your time and allow a couple of hours. Was  couple of threads knocking about on Audisport and UKMKIV's.

I am thinking of getting two 8 pin plugs and joining them that way, as solder does react to heat and vibration in an engine bay, so I am told by an auto electrician??!! Anyway I think that's the way I am going. Just been outside eyeing up if it's possible. And if there is a problem down the line I will only have two coils per plug on the loom to deal with. This is all theory at the min lol.

Looking at it though it doesn't seem straight forward as I am thinking as there are wires that are the same colour. So trying to match wires from the top to the bottom might get a bit tricky. Anybody got a wiring diagram just for the coil packs, or ignition or even engine bay. I could possible work the rest out.

Coil pack 1 :

Pin 1 Black/purple, 12V, commoned to all other pin 1s in loom, and connected to ECU pin121, and pin 1 of a black two-pin connector.

Pin 2 Brown, earth, commoned to all other pin 2s and connected to a common earth wire in the loom.

Pin 3 Purple/black, to ECU pin 102

Pin 4 Brown/yellow, earth, commoned with all other pin4s to an earth point near the coils.

Coil pack 2 :

Pin 1 Black/purple, 12V, commoned to all other pin 1s in loom, and connected to ECU pin121, and pin 1 of a black two-pin connector, origin: ECU relay.

Pin 2 Brown, earth, commoned to all other pin 2s and connected to a common earth wire in the loom.

Pin 3 Black/yellow, to ECU pin 95

Pin 4 Brown/yellow, earth, commoned with all other pin4s to an earth point near the coils.

Coil pack 3:

Pin 1 Black/purple, 12V, commoned to all other pin 1s in loom, and connected to ECU pin121, and pin 1 of a black two-pin connector.

Pin 3 Black/brown, to ECU pin 103

Coil pack 4 :

Pin 3 Black/purple, to ECU pin 94

So with one exception, where wires are the same colour, they are all connected together, so it doesn't really matter which goes to which when cutting/splicing.

The exception is coil pack 4: pins 1 and 3, which are same colour, but pin 3 is a much thinner wire, so should be easy to identify. All pin 3s are 0.35mm² wire, all other wires 1.5mm²

Coil pack 1 is timing belt end.

Edited by Wino
  • Like 1

That brilliant Wino thank you for the help. Wiring loom coming tomorrow so I can see what that's like colour wise. Wanted to order a conduate for the top of the cam cover were the wiring goes along the cam cover and into the coil packs but can't seem to find any, spoke to awesome gti and they said they only do it for the 2.0 not the 1.8t. Has anyone made anything or used anot her make part to prevent all the heat on the wiring. What are other people using please.

Skidmoose,

Is this the sort of thing you are after? 

DSC_0170_zpse05loldb.jpg

You'll see I run 2.0 tfsi coil packs which needs a spacer or clamps as they are taller than conventional 1.8t coil packs.  This allows space to lift the loom off the cam cover and to fit the loom cover.   I bought this on eBay and *think* it was for a 2.0l tfsi engine but does fit the AUQ engine.   Maybe there is a part number I can see for you tomorrow.

Because I run a tubular manifold that sticks up somewhat I made a heat shield too out of a bit of stainless steel.  Check out Yellow peril 2 thread in Octavia build projects. 

• Like 1

Just more reliable and look pretty!  Unless you had new coils under the service campaign and even then if that was several years ago, if your going to replace then the 2.0 l ones are good for reliability.   You will need to buy extra items like the spacer of clamps, otherwise they plug into the existing loom connectors.