TSI whining noise

Of recent I've been driving with the windows down and the stereo off, enjoying the Milltek. I've started to notice a whining noise much the same as described in this thread on this scirocco forum. 

http://www.sciroccocentral.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=22130

His video, noise heard above 2k. 

Can TSI owners confirm this is normal and I'm just being hyper paranoid? :blush:

23 hours ago, Baileydog said:

Of recent I've been driving with the windows down and the stereo off, enjoying the Milltek. I've started to notice a whining noise much the same as described in this thread on this scirocco forum. 

http://www.sciroccocentral.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=22130

His video, noise heard above 2k. 

Can TSI owners confirm this is normal and I'm just being hyper paranoid? :blush:

18 hours ago, planehazza said:

My mk2 does this and I've just put it down to an aging gearbox. Hasn't bothered me enough to have it fixed, as it won't exactly be cheap to refurb/replace...

To be honest mines has a whine when cold, but once warmed up it's not there so doesn't bother me. Think it's just a TSi thing.

41 minutes ago, Baileydog said:

Well it's doing my head in so l book it in Monday. :blink:

Could I be cheeky and ask if you can let me know what it is?  Mines in currently for a knackered timing chain cover seal, and I'm freaking out it's the head gasket that is what's truly leaking.  Why would the chain cover leak? There's no pressure in there except for perhaps air displacement from the chains whizzing around...

5 hours ago, Baileydog said:

Noise can be better heard behind the NSF wheel so could be aux belt related. What's down there that's likely to make the noise?

Won't be aux belt related, the aux belt is on the o/s not the n/s.

No issues found, the garage took the belt off and the noise was still there. Told could be a 'TSI thing'.

Fears of chain problems but the garage did not indicate an issue from this area. Should the noise worsen, told to bring it in with haste.

Next step would be to find a car with the same engine for a comparison, National meet perhaps. :biggrin: