Another Octavia VRS Mk1

Skoda_Saint

So old Forge TIP fitted, better than factory, catch can, all the deletes sorted, new rocker cover (and gasket as it was already leaking hence the mess), new standard DV as my baileys one was leaking. Blue silicon needs replacing soon but that was the only one available that we had to fit there, but it will most definitely be replaced soon. 

Jobs to do replace brake fluid as seems to be to much travel on the pedal, fuel filter and throttle body cleaned to be completed next time. 

Theirs probably a few other things I'll do to add onto that but that is another list LOL. 

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Another small job done today, clean out the throttle body. It wasn't hugely dirty but their was some so it was definitely worthwhile doing IMO. Car now seems to idle a little better and find out when I next drive it if the pickup has been positively affected as well. 

Note to whoever is doing one next, I'm mechanically basic so didn't know any better, is to put all four bolts of the TB in at once as I did it with two to start with and the last one did not want to go in again for love or money. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
8 minutes ago, TrevorB33 said:

Moved onto 1.8t’s now :) it’s a slippery slope, you still got the Fabia too?

Unfortunately not, ended up having a suspected cracked piston and after all the money put into it decided not to invest anymore. If I rebuilt the engine was going to do it properly, then I'd LSD it and go for over 300bhp. They, Narco, promptly sold it to someone, insert swear word instead, who even prompter wrote it off. With 6 pots they managed to hit something head on..... and they didn't even know what wheels were on the car when they tried to break it for parts..... Some people just shouldn't have nice cars. So another white Fabia is dead. :( 

Depending on where I'm working next I may get rid of this and go back to a diesel, I've been looking at the Leon Mk1 FR+. I can take some of the good bits I've fitted, and not fitted, and transfer them across easily enough. And I've a spare set of 312s for the front.... sheesh that modding bug is hard to shift. LOL. 

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

36 minutes ago, Skoda_Saint said:

Unfortunately not, ended up having a suspected cracked piston and after all the money put into it decided not to invest anymore. If I rebuilt the engine was going to do it properly, then I'd LSD it and go for over 300bhp. They, Narco, promptly sold it to someone, insert swear word instead, who even prompter wrote it off. With 6 pots they managed to hit something head on..... and they didn't even know what wheels were on the car when they tried to break it for parts..... Some people just shouldn't have nice cars. So another white Fabia is dead. :( 

Depending on where I'm working next I may get rid of this and go back to a diesel, I've been looking at the Leon Mk1 FR+. I can take some of the good bits I've fitted, and not fitted, and transfer them across easily enough. And I've a spare set of 312s for the front.... sheesh that modding bug is hard to shift. LOL. 

That’s a shame, the old girl did well to last, cheap cars now Leon’s, I don’t think I could do another mk1 octy I must have had 8 or 9 lol 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

• 3 weeks later...

Well after a lovely day watching the BTCC @ Silverstone my car decided to have it's first breakdown in my ownership. I heard a knocking noise coming out of a roundabout so I slowed and pulled over for a look see. Nothing was visibly wrong and a check back and forth up a layby seemed to suggest that the noise may have just been a trapped stone that was now gone. A mile up the road the noise returned and I decided to call the recovery service out as I didn't think it was safe to proceed. A VERY long story then occurred with the appalling service from the breakdown company and my car was finally back home. I then took her down to my friendly mechanic who diagnosed the n/s/f drive shaft was fubarred and wasn't fit to drive. 

Upon the work being carried out they also replaced the o/s/f wheel bearing and o/s/f track rod end. With a 4 wheel alignment also being required it was an expensive failure but just normal wear and tear that these cars are bound to have from time to time.

She still seems like a quick car and next job I think is a brake bleed as the pedal travels a touch too far IMO. 

• Sad 1

• 1 month later...

Had a couple of issues with the dreaded locking problems of the mk4 chassis so I decided to replace the drivers door module, touch wood everything seems to be much better now! 

Now onto something I've been doing from time to time, still not complete... but getting there...

IMG_6239.JPG

IMG_6240.JPG

IMG_6241.JPG

IMG_6242.JPG

Looking good I think and with the red switches, suits the car very well indeed! 

Edited by Skoda_Saint
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Skoda_Saint said:

Nope I fabric dyed them Charlie, good stuff and after I'm finished the front seats I'll most likely have some leftover as spare. 

I meant the plastic part. The bottom one looks really glossy

54 minutes ago, Dark_Hero said:

I meant the plastic part. The bottom one looks really glossy

Ahh no worries, and nope I'd not long taken off the masking tape and wiped down the overspill marks. So was probably just a little damp.

Edited by Skoda_Saint
Update
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, Paul thornton said:

Was always tempted to dye my seat centres / cards black but never had the balls to do it as they were mint.

Why Skoda went through that phase of white fabric interiors I'll never know.

Yes I think all of us owners wondered about that, especially as the black carpet looks so good in them afterwards. Let alone white centres of seats and door cards were bound to get dirty as anyone will know who has ever owned anything whatsoever that was white. 

That's understandable a mint car and interior are quite rare nowadays. As I was going the red and black theme, I pondered the Leon black leather seats for quite a while, but as this is a cheap runaround I decided to do something in keeping with that theme. 

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...

Had the brake pad warning light come on, quick check around and noticed o/s/r pad very low and n/s/r not so low. So dreaded, and common, sticky calliper diagnosed. So with new pads in hand took everything off and attempted to free it up with no success unfortunately. So a new calliper was quickly sourced locally for reasonable money although it's silver, for now, it sorted the issue and both it and new rear pads fitted up.

I think I'm going to attempt, or get friendly valeter, to wet vac the front seats and driver door card before finishing off the colour dye on them.

Then at some point in the new year I'll probably look to get rid of it as it's not the most friendly mpg wise on the commute run into London every day. I may even get a Citigo as that'll be a little bit better on the go juice and tax.

• Sad 1

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

More updates. Passenger door luck finally gave up the ghost and had to be forced open, luckily had the part and this is now working perfectly thanks to my local tame mechanic.

Now passed 175k so clocking up now I need to sort near side rear door lock mechanism as that doesn't open anymore off the fob. Once that's done I'll have a car that opens all the doors at once!

Rear N/S brake calliper needs replacing I think too and as I do so I may paint the rears red, as they'd have both been replaced. Hopefully look a little better than the current silver the new callipers come in.

• Like 1

On ‎15‎/‎07‎/‎2018 at 07:37, Skoda_Saint said:

Small update, sort of LOL. So I wanted my deletes done and as I don't have the experience, knowledge or all the tools to do so I decided to use Bowders (Mark) from the forums. Definitely a worthwhile trip to do so if you're like me and we found, fixed some, problems with the car that I didn't know about. 

Some photos, LOL, to follow....

IMG_6048.JPG

IMG_6050.JPG

IMG_6051.JPG

IMG_6052.JPG

IMG_6053.JPG

IMG_6054.JPG

IMG_6055.JPG

IMG_6056.JPG

IMG_6057.JPG

IMG_6058.JPG

IMG_6059.JPG

IMG_6060.JPG

IMG_6061.JPG

IMG_6062.JPG

IMG_6063.JPG

IMG_6064.JPG

IMG_6065.JPG

Where is mark bowders based ? I could do with his help :)

• Like 1

Another small job done today, N/S rear passenger door control module replaced! So I now have a car that locks and unlocks all four doors at once!!! :D

Also new fuel filter put on and a S2000 air filter, so induction noise is a little better with a little more evident engine noise included. Air box still kept and see if I can live with the additional noise on a daily basis, if not it'll go back on.

I still have to route an additional cold air from the bumper that'll be tricky, but worth it for the increased air flow. At worse I may butcher an air box just to shield the filter from the heat a little bit better than nothing at all.

• Like 1