Facelift how do i remove grill

vollansjames

8 hours ago, vollansjames said:

Ive ordered a monte carlo grill surround for my facelift yeti off superskoda. Does anyone know how i remove the old grill. Do i have to take off the bumper?

I'd be interested in this too.

I did this on mine - the grill is not difficult to remove - IIRC a few bolts and it pops out - I had no guide but on opening the bonnet it was pretty easy to figure out what to undo to pop it out. No need to remove the bumper.

That takes 5 mins and is *really easy*.

The next stage is separating the chrome surround from the grill so you can replace with the black one. This is an utter PITA and took me best part of an hour involving about 7 hands, various screwdrivers, knives and other flat implements as effectively there are about 20 clips that you need to release and you have to pretty much release them all simultaneously otherwise as you release one, another will re-clip. It's very frustrating and ended up with me snapping the old chrome grill in various places to remove it.

Once that's done, pushing on the new black grill is literally seconds and then bolting it back in the car a matter of minutes - again *really easy*.

Edited by 137699

Just got an idea !

I've not done this job but do you think when you release each clip carefully insert pieces of card or something between the grill and chrome surround to prevent it from re-clipping.

first you have to remove the top black plastic cover (ITEM 6 = 4 plastic rivets (ITEM 15 - lever up the inner circular disc and pull it up then th whole thing comes out the metal hole ) and 2 torx bolts (ITEM 16)

front.thumb.png.1b2f2ac85d1284537e844bdacf5d99fb.png

20170815_113656_resized.thumb.jpg.8f24776315d11a940376a95fc62025d7.jpg

after that, you can now see how the grille bit is clipped in - good luck, doesn't look easy to unclip it all without any breakages.

let us all know how you get on and any tips that may be useful

:sweat:

• 2 weeks later...

Just done mine ..... the two clips in the top corners attaching the grill to the front bodywork are the most awkward bit. I used shims made from a plastic chinese meal container about 1x2 cm in size. Lever the clips back with a small screwdriver slide in the shim to prevent it locking back in, repeat until it pops apart.. fit to new surround and back on car. 1/2 hour job...  ( ok and 3 hours planing )