Low profile tyres more likely to have punctures?

newskoda

My current car is the Fabia vRS mk1. Have owned it for 9 years and done about 130k miles. In that time i've only ever had two punctures. Rewind prior to owning my vRS I had cars which had low profile tyres (204/45/17) and in the space of about 6 years had to deal with 5 punctures, one of which ended up buckling the alloy.

I have read that having low profile tyres does indeed result in higher risk of punctures. would you briskodians agree with that or not?

if i were to buy myself another car which ideally must be a bit quicker than my vRS mk1 but still have good economy and not have silly at risk tyres then what would you nice folkes suggest please?

@newskoda - I could see the actual sidewall height having an effect on the likelihood of sidewall holes, and a wider tyre sweeps more of the road, so is more likely to pick up a nail or a piece of glass but I wouldn't be able to put numbers on it.