Back wiper not working

ugly bug

Hi, we have just bought a 08 plate 1.2 htp skoda fabia, we have got it home and found during last nights heavy rain, that whilst pushing the stalk backwards did produce the cleaning wash to clean the window, the actual back windscreen wiper does not work. I have looked at the nut holding it on and that seems tight enough and I have removed the fuse panel to see if there is anything obvious to note. I did read on here about fuse 15, but in my fuse board there are quite a few of them. Would anyone have any suggestions regarding what might be causing the back wiper to be faulty, or could anyone tell me what fuse 15 would relate to the wiper please?(pictures or diagrams)  I don't want to take it to the garage if I can help it in case it is something easily fixed.  Also this engine is very noisy, almost like diesel, much noisier than my beloved skoda fabia classic 01 plate 1.4, has anyone else found that? Otherwise it is a very nice car, seems to work fine, has passed its mot and had a service.

Thanks very much.

Hey

There's a couple of technical bulletins for rear wash/wipe systems on Mk2 Fabias.

One relates to damaged rear door harness wiring and another to wiper motors by Satrema.

Cabin fuse 40 should be for the rear wiper.

I'd check to see if your motor is one by the flagged manufacturer and if not, check the door harness for any obvious signs of damage. If nothing comes from those checks, check the voltages and grounds at the wiper motor. Moving further up the circuit if and as necessary.

Regards

• Like 1

thanks very much, I shall find the thread and have a look. We bought the car from a dealership so hope that its not a recall, again thanks for letting me know, ill try to find out about that as well. Have a good day.

Just a couple of comments:- "fuse 15"  if someone has said that they mean the fuse position that is listed as being position 15, not any fuses with "15" written on top of them as that is just that fuses current rating - and as you have discovered, there can be more than one 15 amp fuses in a fuse box.  Next, you should not necessarily expect that any emergant problems with a certain wiper motor manufacturer or damage happening to the wiring due to bad design/assembly/etc would always or ever be listed as a recall, these technical bulletins are only intended to assist repair actions and normally most important when it is happening during the manufacturer's warranty period - ie to control/limit/standardise dealer spend on these issues.

Edited by rum4mo
  • Like 1

Thanks for your reply. I have spoken to the garage where we bought it from and they are happy and confident that it will be easily sorted. I was just thinking that if it was an easy problem then i could fix it rather than taking the car back, however, we did only purchase it a few days ago and it does have a 3 month warranty, so i guess i would be "silly" to get it fixed locally or try to do it myself when they will book it in and sort the issues out. Thanks for your responses.

Yes annoying to need to return the car for repair, but it should be the best way to sort this out. Why garages don't check all these functions before sale beats me, just laziness really.

maybe they hope that you will get it repaired locally. There are a couple of issues with it that you wouldn't really notice until you drive it properly but if they can sort whilst we wait it will be a great little car. It replaced a lovely very reliable 17 year old funky mk1 Skoda which never gave me any bother, so i am hoping for much of the same.