hlankine

1.2 TSI Turbo carbon deposits

hlankine    1

Hello all,

While changing my DSG oil I had the air box and intake hose off and I happened to look into the turbo compressor wheel. I took photos of it, see below. At first I thought the compressor vanes were chipped along the leading edge but they are fine, just really dirty. It seems from the photo that there are a lot of carbon deposits all around the low pressure side. This leads me to think that there might be deposits elsewhere too. This engine (Yeti, 2010, 1.2 TSI, DSG, driven 167 000 km) has given me no other symptoms than slightly worse fuel economy.

What should I do? Obviously if it's something that I could do myself I'd be happy to.

Thanks,

Henri

WP_20170911_13_13_05_Pro.jpg

hlankine    1

Here's a close up of the deposits. They seem like copper or brass as well as some scaly dark grey layers. Any ideas?

Henri

Closeup_compressor.thumb.jpg.c604cd5805b6ba4ed41704b821127099.jpg

hlankine    1

So, after reading through VW and Audi SSP:s on the 1.2 TSI engine, I gather that the oil can possibly come only from the crankcase/cylinder head breather system. The system has a hose coming from the cylinder head to the compressor side of the turbo. The gases flow whereever there is the smallest pressure, in this case just before the compressor.

So the deposits are not burned on because this is the cold side of the turbo. The mess must be oil from the crankcase breather system and I'll check to see if some brake cleaner takes it off.

Headinawayoffski    9,446

Just out of interest why were you changing the oil in the DSG?

I take this is a DQ200 that has no Service Schedule and filled for life, other than the Service Campaign where the VW Group changed the Synthetic Oil for Mineral because of internal corrosion.

hlankine    1

Hi,

Yes, this is the DQ200 and it has had it's oil changed to mineral. That was 60 000 km ago and there is no way mineral oil can last much longer than that so I changed it. It shouldn't hurt it anyway. The change process was as easy or easier than engine oil change so I think I'll change the oil in the future too.

What surprised me though is the condition of the old oil. I expected to see sludgy and thick, syrupy oil coming out but the oil looked as good as the new oil I poured in. That makes me wonder if I really needed to change the oil after all. I learned a new skill, though...

Henri

• Thanks 1

Good that someone has changed the mineral oil and can report on it, and it is not VW / Skoda or one of their dealerships / employees.

Only the oil concerned with the MCU that you changed.

No it does not need changing.

http://skoda.co.nz/news/dsg-service-campaign 

The mineral oil filled when these cars were fitted with new MCU's is not getting replaced.

Or the mineral oil in the millions of other DQ200 in the World Wide recall now with mineral oil in.

But if VW Group find it does because they put in MIneral after the Factory Oil was Synthetic there will need to be another World Wide Recall on DSG up to 2012, even 2013 to Service and renew the Mineral Oil.

Maybe even a Recall in Europe and not just a Voluntary Service Campaign. 34F7

The DQ200 DSG from 2012 on that should have Mineral Oil in have no Service Schedule / Guidelines to change the Oil, 

just some DSG from some plant built 2013-2015 need Service Campaign 34H5 to do a software update.

Time will tell if VW have it right with Mineral Oil and the lifetime longevity of it, 

or the Software that they are creating as a patch....

Edited by Headinawayoffski

hlankine    1

Hi,

Glad to be of help! =)

I'm afraid I didn't quite follow on what you meant with changing the MCU. As far as I'm aware the Mechatronics unit has not been changed on my car, just the mineral oil and the new software. I can't remember the service campaign number off the top of my head. Did they switch to mineral oil at the factory then as well or did they make changes to the gearbox so they could use synthetic oil?

Henri

There were proper preventative measures  carried out some places because it was deemed safety critical in some World Regions which meant having a World Wide Recall or the likes of a proper Service Campaign as in New Zealand where there were fewer vehicles to do 

these had New MCU's fitted, and Extended Warranties.

http://skoda.co.nz/news/dsg-service-campaign 

In the European Home market VW Group get away without compulsory Recalls and do Voluntary 'Much Cheapness' Service Campaigns, 

and tell owner / keepers very little.

As to the early DQ200 it seems as though Skoda / VW had a bit of a loss of memory on which had Synthetic and which had Mineral, 

and as from 2012/2013 who knows, because there were owners of 2014-2015 cars still getting DSG Service Campaign 34F5 done, 

and others 34H5

Good that you are sorted & fault free.

There must be millions of vehicles around the world having done high miles with DQ200 DSG with mineral oil since the World Wide Recall and Service Campaigns and them paying for it, 

never heard of any TPI or change in Service Schedule Guidelines advising this Mineral OIl will need replacing.

Edited by Headinawayoffski

hlankine    1

Oh ok, thanks for the clarification. With this oil change experience, I really think I'll keep driving a lot more than 60k before the next oil change.

Henri