Autostop Query

Aeolus

First few days after getting my Kodiaq SE 5seat 1.4 TSI 150 PS 4x4 DSG the Autostop was cutting in when stopped at traffic lights etc. Today it wasn't doing it at all. Checked manual, switched off aircon etc - no joy. Went into car menu and it shows status as Autostop being on. No icon showing in instrument cluster screen. Any ideas anyone?

I had an issue like this with my first Skoda, a Fabia back in 2011. It turned out to be caused by a faulty sensor that was reporting that the bonnet was open. It's probably worth getting a dealer to look at it if the problem persists. 

It doesn't always come on on either of my 2 Skodas. It depends on the battery condition at the time. Short trips and all electrics on and mine will stop for a bit to let the battery charge up. Probably just normal.

Mine doesn't always switch off every time - as mentioned above I think it is down to battery condition etc as well as the length of time since start (I notice it doesn't do it at all for the first part of my journeys.

The Autostop will check through quite a few things before allowing the engine to stop.  On some cars, it won't stop if, for example:

The engine is not yet up to temp

The battery is not showing a full charge

There is an unusually high electrical load

There is an unusually high aircon demand

Your front wheels are turned significantly (so it "thinks" you're waiting to make a manoeuvre)

Your flashers are on (ditto)

You have just been nudging forward slightly in a queue

You are not on level ground (so may need the brakes/steering to be powered up)

I wouldn't worry too much until you KNOW that it should have cut out and regularly doesn't.

As above, there are many reasons why it won't cut out.

For some among us, the first thing after starting up is to de-activate the engine cut out - again for various reasons, logical or otherwise.