Accident

12 hours ago, firefox2 said:

I had a similar accident last February the car was fixed in about two weeks  the damage looks the same as mine.

To this day I still get calls asking if I have claimed my free pot of monies that was sett aside for me.

Even though there was no injuries and I tell them this on the phone they still keep calling so get ready for that.

I had a bump three years ago, told my insurers but didn't end up claiming as the damage was so slight that a good buffing got it all out. I get two to three calls a week telling me about this mythical pot of money that has been set aside for me. One company tried to get me to claim for injury, when I said I wasn't interested as I was fine and no-one was injured, she put me onto her manager who insisted that anything more than a 5mph impact is bound to cause injury and could see why I didn't want to claim for it!!! I am normally very polite but at this stage I told her to do one and that she was the reason why premiums are so extortionate these days.

10 minutes ago, finnster01 said:

I had a bump three years ago, told my insurers but didn't end up claiming as the damage was so slight that a good buffing got it all out. I get two to three calls a week telling me about this mythical pot of money that has been set aside for me. One company tried to get me to claim for injury, when I said I wasn't interested as I was fine and no-one was injured, she put me onto her manager who insisted that anything more than a 5mph impact is bound to cause injury and could see why I didn't want to claim for it!!! I am normally very polite but at this stage I told her to do one and that she was the reason why premiums are so extortionate these days.

What is interesting is HOW they get hold of your details.

I had a serious accedent a few years ago and was in such a bad state when I talked to the police I gave some inaccurate details. Went back the next day and corrected them. Got the same type of call as you did but the details they  had about the accident were the same inaccurate details I had given the police! Only the police had these inaccurate details, for less than 24hrs. Someone has access to their computer system or one of the police employees is selling details of accident victims - the police don't want to know - the vast majority of the police seem to have no training in computer security

It was my insurers   - Admiral - they were the only persons I notified - I have a list as long as your arm of blocked calls on my phone from these companies, problem is they just keep changing their number!

Just got my Courtesy car - Its a bloody Vauxhall Mokka X - I hate it and want my baby back!!!!!

Just now, finnster01 said:

It was my insurers   - Admiral - they were the only persons I notified - I have a list as long as your arm of blocked calls on my phone from these companies, problem is they just keep changing their number!

Just got my Courtesy car - Its a bloody Vauxhall Mokka X - I hate it and want my baby back!!!!!

Admaral is either hacked then or a rouge employee selling data.

Took me ages to get rid of my calls - over a year. Used to play along with them if I had time, until they realised I was just messing with them.

The police were not involved in my accident it must have been my insurance company that gave my details over.

I have had at least four different companies call me saying to claim. This one time I was told if I don't claim the pot of cash,it would be split up between the directors of the company. They said you must have had a little discomfort after the accident.

Just now, firefox2 said:

The police were not involved in my accident it must have been my insurance company that gave my details over.

I have had at least four different companies call me saying to claim. This one time I was told if I don't claim the pot of cash,it would be split up between the directors of the company. They said you must have had a little discomfort after the accident.

I told the one caller that he could have the money - he went nuts! They can get prety verbally abusive if they realise you are on to them

I got a recording of one time when they forgot to put the phone down, the conversation they were having after was very useful to the police. I am pretty sure they eventually managed to get the call scammers.

It is usually the insurance company selling your details to the ambulance chasers. The practice was highlighted years ago but nothing has really been done. 

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/personalfinance/insurance/motorinsurance/8615501/Dirty-secret-of-car-insurers-selling-accident-victims-details-to-no-win-no-fee-lawyers.html

@S00perb if the police had passed or sold your details on you should have reported it the ICO as that is a serious breach of Data Protection. 

1 minute ago, CWARD said:

@S00perb if the police had passed or sold your details on you should have reported it the ICO as that is a serious breach of Data Protection. 

I have done this and more - but the police refuse to admit they were the only ones with those details. Very hard to prove unfortunately.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, YellowAges said:

I'm guessing that CWARD was "jesting"  ;)

From my own experience so far on BRISKODA, everyone's a friendly bunch!

Plenty of sarcasm was intended but went completely over his head :rolleyes:

I'm still getting them from an accident last August. Sounds to be pretty standard spiel. Speed of impact..blah...blah.. must have  caused injury..blah...blah. we have some compensation for you. I just reply, 'thank you very much please send it on', and then put the phone down. I've tried blocking numbers ignoring them, But they always come back with a different number. The best fun I have is when they ask for me, I say hang on I'll get him for you and then just leave the phone open. 9 minutes is the record that someone hung on for. :D.

1 minute ago, Bignij said:

I'm still getting them from an accident last August. Sounds to be pretty standard spiel. Speed of impact..blah...blah.. must have  caused injury..blah...blah. we have some compensation for you. I just reply, 'thank you very much please send it on', and then put the phone down. I've tried blocking numbers ignoring them, But they always come back with a different number. The best fun I have is when they ask for me, I say hang on I'll get him for you and then just leave the phone open. 9 minutes is the record that someone hung on for. :D.

If you have the time:

"Yes, it was terrible, can you make a list of the injuries?" Then quote all Latin and crap stuff to them '6 metatarsals hynaxed" etc - "you got that spelt right?"

At the end - "my head was ripped right off"

<phone slams down>

A whistle by the phone is a good deterrent - but DON'T use it on the wrong person