One of those days - door light upgrade, map upgrade and battery failure :(

lawe

Well postie came yesterday with some bits for my Superb.

I ordered replacement door lights as I noticed the drivers door one was missing.

I'm sure it was there when I bought the car 2 weeks back but either it dropped or it was not there and old age is kicking in!!

Well could not find an OEM replacement and did see some LED replacements and then I saw the projector ones, £12.98 off ebay and delivered in two days.

Picture attached and have to say quite nice and a good fit. Something different.

So next bit was the map upgrade for the Columbus. Only upgrading as I like things updated and a just incase the mobile throws a wobble.

Now all was going well until warning bongs started, airbag failure etc. Yep the battery was sucked dry.  Thankfully the map upgrade was done before the lack of juice.

Now I have the car for 2 weeks and going through the paperwork, I think the battery is the original one with 4 years service. I think I'm glad it has shown to be failing now and not into the winter months.

Quick run to the cupboard and on with the battery charger.

Sat down with a cuppa and a trawl the the forum to see what batteries have been quoted. Looked at various settled down to Bosch S5 but delivery not available until Monday and still around £112 even with carparts4less discount.

Bit more digging and I seen someone quoted Varta. Bingo. Varta E44 with a higher CCA than the original so will be handy for the cold mornings.

Tayna got my money https://www.tayna.co.uk/E44-Varta-Silver-Dynamic-Car-Battery-P7726.html

Decent price and if you sign up to a the mailing list you get 10% off your first order.

Being delivered tomorrow  so will see how we get on after the early shift Saturday.

20170914_203411.jpg

20170914_175219.jpg

The factory batteries are a weak point - if its 4 years old then a lot of people here would say it has done better than many. The Varta has been recommended by numerous other owners too so I'd say you made the right choice.  

• Thanks 1

The battery in my MkII was the original after nearly 5 years when it was written off in an accident.  The battery had worked fine up to then and I'd never charged it externally.

It's been repaired and is back on the road now, but I don't know if the battery survived a couple of months not being used or charged.