UK price list live!

keiroha

The below "extras" are what the Karoq SEL has over the 2015 Yeti SEL that I have. Price is hard to compare as the engines are different but it looks like £2k extra for the below.

• 18" Braga alloy wheels
  • Amundsen satellite navigation with 8" touchscreen display with maps Europe, SD card, voice control and integrated Wi-fi
  • Chrome package
  • Chrome roof rails
  • Colour multifunction trip computer
  • Front and rear parking sensors
  • Full LED headlights with adaptive front light system and LED daytime running lights (Bi Xenon on the Yeti)
  • Infotainment Online 1 year
  • Keyless entry and start/stop
  • LED cornering front fog lights
  • Rear LED lights (high functionality)
  • Rear view camera
  • Smartlink+

It's missing leather seats but it's equally unclear whether the leather seats are an paid option. The Yeti had the choice of leather and Alcantara at no extra cost if my memory serves me correctly.

Thanks for that.

I have a 2015 SE L as well and as I said that will probably be my spec. level again. I bought mine from stock and it had most of the extras I wanted i.e.  sat nav and front and rear sensors.

Will be a pity if we have to pay additionally for leather but otherwise I'm happy with the price difference over the Yeti.

But given that in the Edition spec. it says that it comes with leather as standard would imply that the SE L doesn't. 

Edited by VAGCF

22 hours ago, BossFox said:

That's quite common to be fair, with Skoda's choice to be more mainstream now.

Both the current Fabia and Octavia were noticably more expensive than the previous version.

Some people buy into the Skoda brand and some jump ship to get what Skoda used to be elsewhere, a good car for a budget price.

I agree with you, but the fact that the Karoq will cost considerably more than the Seat version of the same car - which is built on the same production line - is quite bewildering. 

Skoda have traditionally represented the value proposition in VAG's mass market portfolio, supposedly fitting in under Seat (standard), VW (quality standard) and Audi (premium). The seperation between the Skoda and Seat brands has always felt somewhat vague to me though, and I'm sure I'm not the only one.

Nevertheless, in 2014 Martin Winterkorn said "We must ensure precise distinctions are made between the brands, that the brands interact well and that everyone finds their corner." So what has happened? Is this an anomaly, or is VAG flipping the two brands?

Skoda have long out-competed Seat in terms of sales numbers and profitability. Are we seeing VAG responding to that by moving Skoda further upmarket? The Fabia and Octavia still cost less than their Seat equivalents for the entry level versions, so I doubt that's the answer. The more I think about it, the more it feels like a  bungle. 

And it's still too expensive. Grumble, grumble, grumble ;)

I agree with you about the confusion, particularly with the positioning of Skoda and SEAT.

They both have some good looking models, in fact with some of the latest offerings being better looking than some Audis of which I've had a few.

One or the other should serve the cheaper, value for money end of the market (Skoda) and the other serve the sportier, younger end of the market. I just don't see the point of them having such similar vehicles like the Karoq and Ateca.

When I come to change the Yeti, as well as the Karoq, I shall be looking at the Tiguan and Q3 but not the Ateca. Maybe if there was no Karoq I would.

Surely the advantage of having four marques in the group is that you can have clear divisions appealing to different market segments?

But perhaps I'm over simplifying things?

I think Skoda have been positioned as a 'more for your money' brand rather than budget/value, and has been for a while, as these topics keep coming up when a car is replaced.

The Octavia is larger than the focus/golf as is the superb. The citigo and fabia are around the same size as the equivalents so it's more about cost and spec there.

The bottom karoq might be more expensive than the built in the same factory Ateca, but what do you get for your money that's different as a differentiator? That might make the karoq a better option even if it is slightly more expensive.

9 hours ago, roo said:

I think Skoda have been positioned as a 'more for your money' brand rather than budget/value, and has been for a while, as these topics keep coming up when a car is replaced.

The Octavia is larger than the focus/golf as is the superb. The citigo and fabia are around the same size as the equivalents so it's more about cost and spec there.

The bottom karoq might be more expensive than the built in the same factory Ateca, but what do you get for your money that's different as a differentiator? That might make the karoq a better option even if it is slightly more expensive.

Agreed on both points. Skoda are generally positioned as a value proposition rather than cheap per se. However, the fit and finish of models like the Fabia and Rapid are nowhere near as good as many rivals. I had a Rapid and it had much to commend it, but in the end the acres of rattly hard plastic served as a pretty clear reminder that I wasn't driving a VW or even a Vauxhall.

In terms of value, there is no doubt that the basic Karoq appears to be better equipped than the basic Ateca. The thing is though, there is no 'S' trim available for the Karoq, whereas there is for Ateca. I thought it might be a quirk unique to the UK, but the cheapest Karoq available in the Czech Republic is 529,900 (c. £17,979) czk, while the cheapest Ateca is just 481,900 czk (c. £16,350). 

In the other model ranges, the prices ascend through the brands:

Skoda Fabia

Seat Ibiza

VW Polo

Audi A1

Skoda Octavia

Seat Leon

VW Golf

Audi A3

but the small SUV lineup is now:

Seat Ateca

Skoda Karoq

VW Tiguan

Audi Q3

So much for every brand finding its corner. Maybe there is one brand too many in VAG's mass market lineup?

The other interesting thing is that Skoda no longer has a model in the sub-£20k crossover sector. The Mokka and Juke are smaller and cheaper, while the Kia Sportage can be had for over £2k less than the Karoq. Even the Qashqai is over £1500 cheaper. These are all top-20 models in the UK and Skoda should have these models in their sights if they want to hit their ambitious growth targets. 

Surely you can only compare 'like for like' when talking prices when having exactly the same spec - be it engine, transmission or equipment.

I thought Seat was the 'young/sporty' marque in the VAG line up with Skoda being 'value for money'?

Regarding the size, there should be a Skoda version of the Arona coming soon to fill the 'smaller' SUV position.

One is now actively saving up for a Karoq vRS e (or at least a SportLine)..... 

Just compared the similarly specced Ateca FR 2.0 TDI 4Drive 150 PS 6-speed manual £28,915 and the Karoq SE L 2.0 TDI 150PS 4x4 £28,350 (inc. Met paint).

A proportionally similar price difference occurs when you price out the Xcellence vs Edition models ie Seat more expensive. 

What Skoda don't seem to be doing is an S spec Karoq (yet!) hence the cheap £18,340 Seat S vs £20,875 Karoq SE.

Not entirely sure why folks are saying the Karoq is more expensive! Will be able to price up more accurately tomorrow when/if the configurator gets updated :)

So Skoda UK updates its website this afternoon with finance offers from 3rd October to 3rd January and the Karoq has a £2000 deposit contribution.

So already discounting them, why don't they simply charge less, I really don't get this fad of adding amount to the price then offering it as a discount.  Do people really not see through this and think they can't afford a small deposit but I can pay £10k in instalments over next 2-4 years.  

In my eyes if you cannot afford to put up at least £1000, probably shouldn't be considering a £20000+ car on PCP as never going to be able to pay the balloon payment.  If can't afford the balloon (so will never buy it), should use cheaper PCH rather than PCP

link to new full price list (including the options)

http://www.skoda.co.uk/SiteCollectionDocuments/downloads/brochures/karoq_pricing_specs.pdf

Edited by SurreyJohn

To encourage people to buy on PCP and, hopefully, lock them into buying another Skoda as the replacement at the end of the PCP  ( or before).

On ‎01‎/‎10‎/‎2017 at 20:52, aerofurb said:

Surely you can only compare 'like for like' when talking prices when having exactly the same spec - be it engine, transmission or equipment.

I thought Seat was the 'young/sporty' marque in the VAG line up with Skoda being 'value for money'?

Regarding the size, there should be a Skoda version of the Arona coming soon to fill the 'smaller' SUV position.

One is now actively saving up for a Karoq vRS e (or at least a SportLine)..... 

That's part of the confusion for me.

I read also that they may offer a Sportline in the future but why would you?

I would have thought if that is what you wanted you'd be in a position to be considering the Tiguan etc?

Too much overlap with Audi and VW and they are in danger of devaluing their premium brands.

21 hours ago, SurreyJohn said:

So Skoda UK updates its website this afternoon with finance offers from 3rd October to 3rd January and the Karoq has a £2000 deposit contribution.

So already discounting them, why don't they simply charge less, I really don't get this fad of adding amount to the price then offering it as a discount.  Do people really not see through this and think they can't afford a small deposit but I can pay £10k in instalments over next 2-4 years.  

In my eyes if you cannot afford to put up at least £1000, probably shouldn't be considering a £20000+ car on PCP as never going to be able to pay the balloon payment.  If can't afford the balloon (so will never buy it), should use cheaper PCH rather than PCP

link to new full price list (including the options)

http://www.skoda.co.uk/SiteCollectionDocuments/downloads/brochures/karoq_pricing_specs.pdf

Karoq with a £2000 deposit contribution ? do you mean the Kodiaq.

7 minutes ago, philipashby said:

...42 weeks and 35000 miles :)

if you have the money to buy take up the £1,500 offer then pay off in full before 14 days.

15 hours ago, bripat said:

if you have the money to buy take up the £1,500 offer then pay off in full before 14 days.

I did something similar with my previous Yeti and only paid about £20 interest. 

If you think £1500 is good you should see the Mercedes website.

Dealer contributions of £5,000+  on C class estates.

Pay that off after a month or so and you have a new Merc for about £25/27K.

That looks tempting.

Colin

1 hour ago, eribaMotters said:

If you think £1500 is good you should see the Mercedes website.

Dealer contributions of £5,000+  on C class estates.

Pay that off after a month or so and you have a new Merc for about £25/27K.

That looks tempting.

Colin

I'd be curious what the small print says...

20 hours ago, bripat said:

Yes, it's good if you can do that.

The £1500 isn't so good given the interest rate. With the Yeti I got a £500 offer plus 0% and managed to get some more off the price as well.

5 hours ago, VAGCF said:

Yes, it's good if you can do that.

The £1500 isn't so good given the interest rate. With the Yeti I got a £500 offer plus 0% and managed to get some more off the price as well.

0% is worth its weight in gold. After a civilised haggle, I paid £400 deposit for my Yeti SE and £195 a month for 42 months. I haven't seen a car in the same class for less ever since.

These days most manufacturers seem provide a generous deposit contribution, but then claw it back with high interest rates. Don't forget that with PCP, interest is charged on the entire OTR price and not just the chunk you are paying for .

£5k deposit contribution on a Merc C Class Estate is phenomenal, but you'll pay over £3k in interest alone based on their 48 month PCP example. Audi have got an offer on the Q5 on their website. £0 deposit contribution and 6% interest. On the representative example, you'll pay around £7k in interest alone over 48 months and you won't get to keep the car at the end unless you find another £22k at the end. Who would pay that much just for the privilege of not being let out of side turnings for four years? 

I didn't know you paid interest for PCP on the whole price! How can they get away with that. You'd have thought it was in breach of financial regulations?

Real sharp practice, as is the interest rate given the current base rate. No wonder they are so keen for you to take up their finance.

Not that it worried me with the Yeti. But when looking at changing and the resultant figures I may well lose interest. Excuse the pun! 

Edited by VAGCF

1 hour ago, VAGCF said:

I didn't know you paid interest for PCP on the whole price! How can they get away with that. You'd have thought it was in breach of financial regulations?

Real sharp practice, as is the interest rate given the current base rate. No wonder they are so keen for you to take up their finance.

Not that it worried me with the Yeti. But when looking at changing and the resultant figures I may well lose interest. Excuse the pun! 

Interest rates are everything. That generous deposit contribution could be worth nothing by the time your interest payments are taken into account. The total price payable is the only sure way to know if you're getting a decent deal or not. My favourite bit at the dealers is when you say 'Hmmm, the monthly payments are a bit high for me' and they just reduce them by £50 a month and then add the exact same amount onto the deposit instead!

Funnily enough, my Skoda dealer told me that car finance stops being such good value once the interest rate rises above 3% or so. That's easy to say when most of your cars are available on a generous 0% rate, but what do you do when your new model has the same or higher interest rate as its major competitors? I'm starting to think the cheap car PCP boom is coming to an end.