1.2 Tsi 110HP Cold Start Sound Engine cod: CYVB

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xRZDNlb0dlg

Is this sound normal? The sound is from first start if the temperature is above 12 grades celsius. The rpm is 1200 and the car vibrates odly a bit for 7-10 times. After 45 seconds it's stops and works perfectly. A have odly micro vibrations on idle at trafic stops from time to time but are mirco vibrations. The car is Skoda Octavia 3 may 2016 23.000km, enigne code CYVB 110hp this belt camshaft. The dealer told me that this is preheating catalytic converter. Can anyone help me. If i put my hand on the fuel pump high pressure line I can feel the fuel goes like tic..tic..tic..tic like a beep and not continues. I am not and enginire or mecanic so don't shot me, I just want me car to last long.

Yes, I think it is normal, especially if you have had your car serviced at a Skoda dealer.

I have a 2016 SEAT with the same engine.   It didn't do this when new but has been doing it, in certain (warmer) ambient temperature conditions, since it was serviced earlier this year (at the supplying  SEAT dealer).    I haven't had a straight answer from the dealer but it appears that they applied a software update during the service (without asking my permission).

From what I have been able to find out, under certain ambient conditions, the sofware update is designed to get the cat up to operating temperature more quickly than would otherwise be the case (to reduce emissions).   To achieve this the idle revs are boosted and the ignition timing retarded;   effect lasts around 45 secs as you have found.    As I understand it, it is OK to drive off when this is happening - except that the car drives like a dog because the ignition is so far retarded.

I think that what you describe about the high pressure fuel pump is normal.

My Sept 2015 Octavia 1.2 110 does this also, for about 30-40 secs, then quietens down to a normal idle. 

My dealer also said its normal, just to check the oil is topped up regularly.

It doesn't sound very good, especially if you start up outside someones house whilst saying goodbye, my Dad has joked about my rattly old Skoda...

The fast tickover for 40 seconds before dropping is as should be, 

shaking is not, but can happen in higher ambient temps when the Airbox is hot and the air in it.

If the shaking is too much then see if there is a Software update for your vehicle that the Dealership should be applying.

(Maybe try a different fuel from the one you are buying, instead of 95 ron fuel try a tank of Super Unleaded and see if the behaviour is the same.)

It happens on 1.0, 1.2 & 1.4 & 1.8TSI's  & likely the fast tickover is the same on 2.0TSI's, it is really just the same as a 'Choke' was and an Automatic Choke

but not just necessary with cold engines.

Shuddering or shaking is not right though,  so if it seems too much other than the faster tickover

have the dealership employee go start a TSI car in their sales or demonstrator fleet and see if it shakes / shudders or vibrates.

Edited by Headinawayoffski

44 minutes ago, Headinawayoffski said:

It happens on 1.0, 1.2 & 1.4 & 1.8TSI's  & likely the fast tickover is the same on 2.0TSI's, it is really just the same as a 'Choke' was and an Automatic Choke

but not just necessary with cold engines.

Shuddering or shaking is not right though,  so if it seems too much other than the faster tickover

have the dealership employee go start a TSI car in their sales or demonstrator fleet and see if it shakes / shudders or vibrates.

The shaking is the same even if i pun 95 fuel or 100 premium fuel. The idea is that if I stay out of the car I can smell unburn fuel. is like misfire, but i have no errors.

I went to Audi and they told me that the car is Ok and has no problems and they show me a info from VW in witch said that the engine does this simptoms for 45 minutes. It's a catalystic preheating program. All of this happens beacause of the software. Onoficial they told me that this is for poluation emisions to be small as i heard that they have also problems with the emisions on petrol engines.

• 6 months later...