Soaked drivers footwell...where to go next?

Hi all

Appreciate this is topic that has been covered a few times, but I’m after some advice on where to go next.

I discovered a saturated drivers footwell recently so booked in with Skoda.

The car isn’t a few weeks outside manufacturer warranty but has 2 years extended manufacturer warranty.

They’ve investigated a leaking air con drain pipe...not the problem.

They’ve had a hose on it all day from outside at various angles...no water ingress.

Now I’m being told that the next step is to strip the interior AT MY COST.

I’ve told them to go away and sort out their own warranty, but they’re fairly adamant it’ll be at my cost.

Thoughts?

Cheers

Alex

1 hour ago, alexbuck said:

Hi all

Appreciate this is topic that has been covered a few times, but I’m after some advice on where to go next.

I discovered a saturated drivers footwell recently so booked in with Skoda.

The car isn’t a few weeks outside manufacturer warranty but has 2 years extended manufacturer warranty.

They’ve investigated a leaking air con drain pipe...not the problem.

They’ve had a hose on it all day from outside at various angles...no water ingress.

Now I’m being told that the next step is to strip the interior AT MY COST.

I’ve told them to go away and sort out their own warranty, but they’re fairly adamant it’ll be at my cost.

Thoughts?

Cheers

Alex

I've had similar issues with trying to get a couple of issues sorted under the approved used warranty. Dealer has acknowledged there is a fault but for it to be found, I would need to pay their hourly rate. It's frustrating being told you have to pay for stuff when you have an active warranty which supposedly covers "all components".

Based on what the dealer was telling me, it sounds as though Skoda allocate a certain amount of time for the dealer to diagnose issues. If the dealer hasn't found the issue within that time, then they refuse to continue without handing over money to cover it. Doesn't say that anywhere in the warranty terms though...

Perhaps try someone higher at the dealer, or get onto Skoda UK customer services. Good luck though you shouldn't be paying yourself.

Edited by ahenners
  • Like 1

Hmm. This is extended "from new" manufacturer warranty. I wonder if different.

Either way, they have "proved" that it's not coming in from the outside, so by definition must be coming from somewhere else (inside).

I just don't understand how they can possibly even try to claim that the customer needs to fund labour to find an issue with the car when there is warranty! The chap I spoke to today told me that I may need to collect my car while the claim is "sorted out"...or, mate, I keep your 500 mile brand new £20k car and you keep my 22k mile 3 year old £15k car until you sort it.

The garage has gone off to raise a car with Skoda UK - I wait to hear back tomorrow.

If it turns out to be a flat "no" from SUK, I'll be demanding a copy of the extended warranty terms and conditions.

Suspect I'll end up talking with SUK directly.

It may be administered or underwritten by a different company compared to the used one - I haven't seen the terms of the extended one. Ultimately though the bottom line is the same. Dealer can't find cause of issue, tells customer to cough up, despite having warranty which should cover it.

Fingers crossed you won't need to, but I'd get the terms and take it up with Skoda directly. Be prepared for a battle.

Don't give up. A warranty is, or should be, just that. It says "all components" so insist. 

Just because they can't find the cause of the problem easily doesn't mean they can suddenly abdicate responsibility. 

It's just another example of the motor trade taking the **** out of Joe Public.

Just look at Gap Insurance offered at £399 when the same policy can be had for £85, or exterior / interior paint / unholstery protection for £299 that is, in reality, a kid slapping on £25-worth of product. 

They take us for muppets every day. 

Good luck with it buddy - fight for what you deserve.  

• Like 1

Oh make no mistake, I’m far from giving up!

Where the terms and conditions of th warranty don’t detail this cap in the number of hours, it’s open to arguing.

Its an interesting debate, all the same. “So, a ŠKODA main dealer, the experts in their own product, can’t find what the issue is so want the customer to fund further investigation, even though the car is in warranty? And after I pay you what you say, and you still don’t find an issue, then what?”

I’m absolutely convinced it’s not water coming in from outside...it’s something inside the car that’s leaking. Unless there’s a split weld somewhere or similar. Which is cause for a bigger argument!

They say they’ve ruled out the aircon drain, but I’m not sure.

UPDATE

Skoda Warranty have approved further investigation (specifically to completely strip the interior of the car, seats carpet and sound deadening). The Service Manager agrees with me that it's not water coming in from outside.

Watch this space!

@themanwithnoaim is correct. Originally looked at the A/C drain / breather but was not the issue - albeit I have a persistent coolant leak that cannot be diagnosed. 

The issue I had was on a missing spot weld in the front bulk head area (car built in early Sep 13 - there were a couple of others with the same issue at the time); if you look underneath the black plastic trim grilles just below where the front wiper arm is attached to the motor on the drivers side, you will see where 'wet joint' compound has been used to seal the bulkhead - this was the approx point of ingress.

Unfortunately, you cannot see where it is entering the cabin until interior and dashboard are removed!

My car took 6 weeks to establish the fault, so you do not want to be footing the labour bill!!! In terms of repair I ensured that the underlay for the vehicle was replaced, and that it was fully logged with SUK in case any corrosion occurred to floorpan / any electrical components under the cabin carpet.  Suffice to say I haven't paid for a service yet on my car.

If OP sends me a PM I will provide my chassis no so that dealer can look at the case file for my car as reference.

Some others have had a leaking panoramic roof which may be another area to check.

Edited by Black_Sheep
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, alexbuck said:

Well, despite the promise of a phone call today with an update, nothing.

I’m supposed to be returning their courtesy car tomorrow, but not if they don’t call me!

@Black_Sheep, will PM you. Thank you.

Ask for your case to be escalated to the executive office in Sheffield if they are failing to return your calls...

If they refuse, a letter or email to CEO of SUK will usually get things moving...

Only thing to consider is that the law states your contract is with the organisation that sold you the product not the brand.

Cool, seems like a result. Just why the hell this seems to be a common issue on Octavia's.

On mine during the drain tube fix they nudge fuse box. No clue how they did it, but it was slightly dislocated and started producing rattling on the left turns. Skoda service took 2 weeks to figure out where the noise was coming from :)