Warning to dog owners

S00perb

I would expect lots of owners to train their dogs to leave the post alone, or to fit an internal post basket (we've done both) and not to automatically expect someone else to foot the bill for their lack of control over their pets.

• Like 4

Why fit a post  basket if you've trained your dog to leave the post alone? 

Bottom line is they shouldn't have sent out the chocolate in the way they did. Much easier and ecologically friendlier if they had sent it out as a text/app code, that way you get footfall in their shops, which has fallen recently against competition from Lidl and Aldi. . 

1 hour ago, Fin69 said:

Why fit a post  basket if you've trained your dog to leave the post alone? 

Not at the same time, or with the same dog.

Edited by BJM

A spokesperson said: “We’re extremely sorry for the distress this has caused. We know chocolate is unsafe for pets to eat and that’s why we had measures in place to safeguard against pet owners receiving this promotion. We are urgently investigating what went wrong.”

Explaining this further to HuffPost UK they said they had actually excluded pet owners from the mailing list - they based this information on what customers had previously bought.

SO they KNEW it was a bad idea and decided to go ahead with flawed mitigation! Idiots. Just because you don't buy pet food from them doesn't mean you don't have a pet.

They are footing the vet bills.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, BJM said:

I would expect lots of owners to train their dogs to leave the post alone, or to fit an internal post basket (we've done both) and not to automatically expect someone else to foot the bill for their lack of control over their pets.

My first thoughts were 'or train your dog not to touch the post', but in fairness that takes time.

Some folk can't even train their kids, never mind their animals, Lol. (actually it's not funny really, some folks lack of control and teaching / even self control).

On 29/09/2017 at 09:18, Aspman said:

Plenty of dogs won't touch the mail normally but different when packages of food are being pushed through your door.

I can put food on the floor near my friends dog and he won't touch it till I say he can - when no one is there - that is a different ball game

His dog also likes tea - and he won't touch it till you stir it first!

• Like 1

Perhaps, you need a better class of Postman. I had an A4 envelope not delivered, as dog was in house, and making a lot of nasty noises to Postman. The item was too large to put in the  postbox on wall, and with noise dog was making, RM bloke decided that dog could destroy envelope. Trouble is that I've let dog meet postman, and al she wants is a tummy rub.

10 hours ago, VWD said:

Perhaps, you need a better class of Postman. I had an A4 envelope not delivered, as dog was in house, and making a lot of nasty noises to Postman. The item was too large to put in the  postbox on wall, and with noise dog was making, RM bloke decided that dog could destroy envelope. Trouble is that I've let dog meet postman, and al she wants is a tummy rub.

Maybe with all them nasty noises RM bloke was more worried about your dog eating his fingers, than her eating your post, Lol.

Not really as my dog has met RM bloke outside and she just makes a fuss . Apart from that , he did think of putting it in letterbox on door, but was concerned that dog could get end of letter furtherest from his fingers and damage that. Envelope did say "do not bend" ,which to him indicated that it contained photos of photo stuff.

Nice olde worlde posty.

Edited by VWD

^^^ My reply was just a bit of a leg pull, albeit true.

Hopefully without this turning into a silly arguement, Your dog would not associate post being put through the letterbox with someone she knows and trusts on the other end of it.

Fair enough If you do not think that is true, but i am sure your postman will. Them knowing each other face to face has nothing to do with it, or how nice the postman is. 

When dogs are making nasty noises, they are warning whatever it is that is bothering them of their presence and to go away. People get bitten when they ignore these nasty noises, lip curls and cautious stillness.

• Like 1

Then, you've never met a Puppy farm dog that has come into a house. She is writing cheques , she will never honour. Her behaviour is to let us know of an intruder to her , and not attack. She's basically a four legged doorbell.

Bite- she caught a cat after a noisy chase . Cat shot under a car ,thinking it was safe, but not from madam. She turned it over, but didn't attack the neck. She just stood back and let cat roll over and run. To her, the chase is more important. BITE- she's more interested in biting treats than dogs/cats vermin etc.