Superb 2.0 TSi DSG Fuel Consumption

BobT

13 minutes ago, edbostan said:

A good looking car. May offend BMW owners but Skodas are looking better than the current crop of BMWs and certainly Mercedes. Trouble is the popularity of Skoda is pushing up prices.

True to a certain extent but price increases within Skoda/VAG's own supply chain mean the prices are passed on to the customer.   

VAG also won't be selling on technology and services as cheaply to Skoda now either.  Skoda are a 'serious threat' to the more premium brands in the group.  VAG will be looking to minimise competition as much as possible. 

• Like 1

I used an mpg app. The top image is the incomplete form, followed by my Superb, then my old Octavia. I paid 120.9 for diesel and my first petrol fill up was 116.7.

Screenshot_20180308-133028.png

Screenshot_20180308-133041.png

Screenshot_20180308-133242.png

So, I've done a few extra miles including around 150 motorway miles and my mpg is going up decently. I'm going getting the 40-45 mpg yet some people have reported on the motorway, but according to the car I got 36.7 on the return leg. 

It still appears my car is reporting its mpg much lower than actual mpg. On my last refuel I had 45 miles range left, since then I've done 254 miles and I've got 265 miles left. So, altogether I'm on track for 564 miles from the 66 litre tank. 

The car is now telling me its long term mpg is 31, but online calculators are saying nearly 39.

I'll hold off on any fresh posts now as this is probably getting boring as hell for you guys, but I thought I'd give a quick update on the improvements I'd noticed. 

Screenshot_20180311-183113.png

Screenshot_20180311-182403.png

Screenshot_20180311-182411.png

Screenshot_20180311-185209.png

Edited by TomW80

@TomW80

Not sure what I'm reading there but you seem to be overcomplicating things.

The onboard computers on newer cars tend to be reasonably accurate, certainly far closer than your seeming 31 to 39 mpg variance.

1) The difference could be the fuel entry app is working from a zero odo reading and working with the fuel you have bought and entered. You may not have accounted for the fuel that came with the car.

2) You mentioned the "long term" displayed consumption - be aware that the long-term (and trip, and since refuel) can be reset manually (accidentally?) and even if not it resets automatically at 99hours or 9999miles, whichever comes first, which is always 99 hours unless you do a lot of very high speed autobahn trips.

3) The distance to empty is just an estimate based on recent fuel consumption and what the fuel gauge shows, and fuel gauges are themselves just indications of what is in the tank. So if the fuel gauge got stuck (unlikely) then your distance to empty would show hundreds of miles while the tank was actually empty.

I tend to just check the onboard computer accuracy when I refill by just looking at the 'since refuel' average and comparing against the refill quantity and distance travelled. Helps if you have a standard refill routine, mine is to put in 2 litres after the click shutoff.

The 'since refuel' average resets to zero once you start the engine after refuel.

It is so many years since a Gallon was sold in the UK or the price of a Gallon shown on a filling station pump or sign.

Just know how many miles you do after filling up and how many litres you need to fill up again. The mileometer is pretty accurate.

After 2 or 3 tank fillings you should know pretty much how many miles to the litre you get from a full or part tank.

Back to Summer formulation fuel in the filling stations in a few weeks time.

46 minutes ago, Gerrycan said:

@TomW80

Not sure what I'm reading there but you seem to be overcomplicating things.

The onboard computers on newer cars tend to be reasonably accurate, certainly far closer than your seeming 31 to 39 mpg variance.

1) The difference could be the fuel entry app is working from a zero odo reading and working with the fuel you have bought and entered. You may not have accounted for the fuel that came with the car.

2) You mentioned the "long term" displayed consumption - be aware that the long-term (and trip, and since refuel) can be reset manually (accidentally?) and even if not it resets automatically at 99hours or 9999miles, whichever comes first, which is always 99 hours unless you do a lot of very high speed autobahn trips.

3) The distance to empty is just an estimate based on recent fuel consumption and what the fuel gauge shows, and fuel gauges are themselves just indications of what is in the tank. So if the fuel gauge got stuck (unlikely) then your distance to empty would show hundreds of miles while the tank was actually empty.

I tend to just check the onboard computer accuracy when I refill by just looking at the 'since refuel' average and comparing against the refill quantity and distance travelled. Helps if you have a standard refill routine, mine is to put in 2 litres after the click shutoff.

The 'since refuel' average resets to zero once you start the engine after refuel.

I'm aware of these factors and the figures are just estimates. In my first tank I did 405 miles, so by the time it worked out I had 45 mile range left when I refueled it should've been reasonably accurate. For my current and second tank I've got rolling figures which are fluctuating based on usage. The figures I posted yesterday were after a drive from Manchester to Cumbria and back, so my mpg and therefore range went up, but based on those figures at that time I had 45 miles left when I refueled and with the mileage I'd done and what I had left I was on target for 564 miles. I appreciate this is extrapolated but it's still a big difference between what the car and the calculations are telling me. I even checked on different online calculators, but the figures remained the same. The bottom line is I'm getting decent mileage out of a full tank, which is improving.

43 minutes ago, AwaoffSki said:

It is so many years since a Gallon was sold in the UK or the price of a Gallon shown on a filling station pump or sign.

Just know how many miles you do after filling up and how many litres you need to fill up again. The mileometer is pretty accurate.

After 2 or 3 tank fillings you should know pretty much how many miles to the litre you get from a full or part tank.

Back to Summer formulation fuel in the filling stations in a few weeks time.

Yep, that's what I'm looking to suss out - how my miles my first few refuels get me by tank. Based on the litres I refueled with I know roughly how much is left in the 66 litres tank, although I appreciate a bit more can be squeezed in.

My first tank was 450 miles and it looks like I'm on track for at least 500 from my current tank. 

37 minutes ago, facet edge said:

The only really accurate way is to keep a note of how much fuel you put in and then do a calculation after around 5,000 miles. This will iron out any local fluctuations.

You're probably right, but I'll have lost interest by then :biggrin:

Part of the fun of a new car is getting to know it, but once the novelty has warn off I'll just get on with it :)

• Haha 1

• 2 years later...

Since I bought my Superb Sportline Plus last December it has consumed 500.08 litres of 99 octane unleaded at a cost of £625.40 and covered 4,251 miles for an overall 38.65mpg. Since the stage 1 map in early February it is using less fuel as the best when standard was 45.9mpg yet the best with 360bhp has been 48.6mpg. Current tank projection is 680 miles and maxidot (which always under reads in my car) shows car averaging 42.8mpg after 355 miles with 325 miles of fuel left (just under half a tank left).:happy: