Best mods for day to day driving - steering + handling

Hello. So I have had my Octavia Mk II VRS for almost a year now & am relatively happy with it. However, the more I drive it, the more flaws I find. Mainly the steering + handling. In fact, it is the only things I find flawed about the Mk II. The steering feel can be vague at times, & it seems there is a deadzone when driven straight. 

Now I know there are hundreds of threads discussing WALKs, RARBs, Poly bushes etc... But I find there are too many opinions which mods are best for which purpose. So I wanted to ask, which mods are best to improve both steering feel & handling for normal road use only?

This is what I was considering. Get the WALK & Bushes:

- WALK - heard it adjusts caster which can make the steering heavier which is for me is a big plus so it gives the impression of improved feel. Someone said it is only noticeable when doing track days, so if this is true then it would be no good to me but I want to know from someone who does have this fitted to their Octavia for normal road driving. 

- Poly or Audi TT Bushes - read this can improve how direct steering can be. Maybe this will minimize the deadzone too. Also will need wishbones or control arms.

Was also considering a RARB, which I have learnt can make the car more planted on corners, but this I want to make a last decision. 

So what would you recommend for heavier & more precise steering? I know trying to get steering feel on these cars like the hydraulic only ones is nigh on impossible due to the electric systems in place, so I will not expect miracles on this aspect. Just for the steering to be more planted on straights & more precise when taking slight turns left & right. I don't need super planted cornering as this does not bother me, well not yet anyway. Btw, I have done an alignment done which has improved things & have Goodyear Asymmetric 3s all round (which I suspect is too soft for this car which seems to also affect the handling, tyre pressures are fine when I checked). All help is appreciated. 

Edited by sleeper77

Although I've got a  mk1 octy - I fitted an adjustable RARB and it's honestly made the car SO much better handling especially as far as roundabouts are concerned. 

Before fitting it - the car felt too floaty when turning and I had to keep the speed right the way down or it'd feel unsafe. 

I'll leave it to others as I'm sure the mk2 has different characteristics, but just my 2p (and very happy ones at that).

Free mod.

Reduce the steering assistance.  

There is 'The Factory Setting', there is 'more assistance' (disability assistance setting) so check for less assistance.

Re 'Tyre pressures are fine when i checked'.  

Check often as weather / conditions change, and maybe try trial and error to see what a few psi make.

Free if you have a Tyre Gauge and means of inflation, other wise, 20-50 pence a time.

Edited by Headinawayoffski

Thanks for the replies & help guys.

I cannot adjust the assistance on mine, as it is the facelift version. When I had my Fabia Mk II, I adjusted the steering weight with VCDS, but on my Octavia when I tried it is not available. Also nothing on the Maxidot system.

Once thing I noted. Yesterday it was raining & warmer than today, but the steering felt firmer. Today it was colder & dry, but the steering felt lighter. Is there a reason for this? Also I would have thought the Goodyear Asymmetric 3s would have improved steering weight, but it has not so am wondering if this is contributing to the odd steering. I will check the PSI again when the car has not bee used for some time, but this is not the first time such a sympton has happened.

I don't know if this is going to be of any help to you but being a FL owner myself, I can tell you the Whiteline RARB I had fitted makes a world of difference to the handling. So much so, the mechanic (whom I know very well) took it for a spin after fitting to test it and commented on it and mentioned the handling as a huge plus. Says it all really. 

As stated earlier, the car feels less floaty and I too felt unsafe at times. Very similar to what bspman describes even if his car is the MKI.

What's more, turning into and out of corners at a slightly higher speed myself has resulted in much more confidence whereas previous, I wouldn't have dared. Don't get me wrong, I don't drive like a **** but the whole reason for me getting this motor was to have a LOT more enjoyment than a Fiat Punto 1.2 :D

If I were you matey, start with a roll bar and make it first on your list. The rest will surely follow.

Edited by LordRaiden84

35 minutes ago, sleeper77 said:

I cannot adjust the assistance on mine, as it is the facelift version. When I had my Fabia Mk II, I adjusted the steering weight with VCDS, but on my Octavia when I tried it is not available. Also nothing on the Maxidot system.

It is possible on the FL although not using VCDS.

The steering assistance curve from a TT RS is a popular choice, think it adds a little more weight/reduced assistance. If you have a VCDS autoscan it should be easy to confirm if this is possible :)

Cheers LordRaiden84. I will look into getting a RARB as one of the first mods before doing a remap which was originally my first priority.

Thanks langers2k for confirming it is possible to change the assistance. I will do an autoscan tomorrow & post the result.

I also saw this on a thread you posted..." I tried the TT RS for a while but changed back to 69 as I didn't feel it made a significant difference to my normal drive."    Maybe its not worth doing afterall?

@sleeper77 - There was a difference but it didn't add much to my commute. It's a non vRS with 120k+ on stock suspension/arbs running 16's. I cover 100+ miles a day on straight NSL roads or stuck in traffic so it's hardly the recipe for an exciting drive ;)

It's a popular enough change over in Russia and given it's free (or a few beer tokens) it might help towards your target!

Cheers for the further information.

Ok, I tried the autoscan with VCDS Lite today but I think my cheap cable from Amazon cannot find the modules required. Did with the Fabia but this time no dice. It has only found one which was for the DSG gerarbox. Nothing else. But I will have to find out where I could get the assistance changed if I cannot do this myself.

I also might go back & get the alignment done again if it is still vague. Steering is also a bit more twitchier, not a lot, but when I first had the car it was heavier & more stable/planted at motorway speeds.

The RARB is very tempting to install once the warranty runs out. Heard more good things about this when doing more searches online.

Edited by sleeper77

What I'd do (in no particular order):

1)  Make sure all the bushes (front and rear) and the top mounts are still in good condition (you need a good base to start from).

2) Replace the console bushes with non-voided Audi S3 bushes (the aftermarket ones are cheap).

3) Do the VCDS electronic steering mod (if possible).  Also, remove the electric connectors to the steering rack and clean any corrosion off them.

4) Redrill the rear sway bar so that the lever arm is shorter.  You should be able to get about 30mm out of it.  This is a free mod if you DIY.

5) Tyre pressures around 36-38psi

6) Audi S3 alloy lower control arms.

7) Lighter rims (you can pull 3-5kg per corner with decent rims)

8) Decent dampers (I like Koni Sport on full soft)

9) A good 4 wheel alignment by a good technician, not just a green-zone monkey.

10) Stickier tyres (the Goodyear F1A3 are great but you can do better if you are willing to sacrifice mileage / noise)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, brad1.8T said:

1)  Make sure all the bushes (front and rear) and the top mounts are still in good condition (you need a good base to start from).

2) Replace the console bushes with non-voided Audi S3 bushes (the aftermarket ones are cheap).

3) Do the VCDS electronic steering mod (if possible).  Also, remove the electric connectors to the steering rack and clean any corrosion off them.

4) Redrill the rear sway bar so that the lever arm is shorter.  You should be able to get about 30mm out of it.  This is a free mod if you DIY.

5) Tyre pressures around 36-38psi

6) Audi S3 alloy lower control arms.

7) Lighter rims (you can pull 3-5kg per corner with decent rims)

8) Decent dampers (I like Koni Sport on full soft)

9) A good 4 wheel alignment by a good technician, not just a green-zone monkey.

10) Stickier tyres (the Goodyear F1A3 are great but you can do better if you are willing to sacrifice mileage / noise)

Excellent Brad. Many thanks. I always see that you put good information on these forums & glad you posted here. Reference your advice...

1. MOT was done recently by dealer & they did not point out anything about bushes & mounts needing replacing. But I could always get a 2nd opinion.

2. Looking into getting this done when warranty runs out.

3. Going to have to find someone nearby for VCDS.

4. Might go for a Whiteline, Eibach, etc.. rear swaybar but what you say is also an option

5. Tried different pressures & lower seems better for firmer steering

6. Again, like 2 I am looking into getting these fitted.

7. Read from others the improvement they can bring, will have to do more research

8. Same thing as 7.

9. Going round in circles, this car just seems to throw off everyone :S

10. Tbh, I don't want to spend money on tyres again having just installed the AS3s, but I would not mind recommendations. Although the AS3s have made the ride more comfortable, they have shown the flaws in the mediocre drivetrain because of the softer compound. It was difficult to notice this with the harder budget tyres I had previously.

Edited by sleeper77

OP did you make any progress with your steering deadzone etc.  I have std MK11 VRS TDI with AS2's and I too notice this deadness in the steering in straight ahead position on motorways and was wondering if solid console bushes would improve things.

The main problem though seems to be the inability of suspension to cope with the bumps and unevenness of British motorways and I notice as a passenger it feels  worse as no steering wheel to hold.

I have to say having driven an Impreza WR1 for many years prior to the Skoda if I could get the same planted feel for fast mway I'd be a lot happier.

19 hours ago, boneman said:

OP did you make any progress with your steering deadzone etc.  I have std MK11 VRS TDI with AS2's and I too notice this deadness in the steering in straight ahead position on motorways and was wondering if solid console bushes would improve things.

The main problem though seems to be the inability of suspension to cope with the bumps and unevenness of British motorways and I notice as a passenger it feels  worse as no steering wheel to hold.

I have to say having driven an Impreza WR1 for many years prior to the Skoda if I could get the same planted feel for fast mway I'd be a lot happier.

Hey man do you mind elaborating and kindly explaining what you mean when referring to steering 'dead zone' as you and Sleeper77 speak of. I have the same model (minus DSG) and I do a fair bit of motorway miles. I have a RARB fitted but still don't know if I have this dead zone thingy and I'm not experienced enough to tell. What exactly am I looking for or feeling if you like? Sorry if I sound thick.

Is this a commonality with the VRS? Is the steering supposed to be more responsive compared to it's equivalent rivals?

On 15/10/2017 at 23:51, boneman said:

Not yet, but looking into it. I want to get a RARB installed first before the uprated bushes (decided to get some TT ones). The only thing stopping me getting the RARB is my car insurance. When I had the Fabia, I wanted a RARB installed so I called my insurance company (the guy on the phone thought I was on about an anti-rollcage. Had to explain to him again :blink:), & he replied they could not insure the car. Hopefully this time I can get the RARB installed with no hiccups from my insurers, will call tomorrow. 

Just to add about steering deadzone, from my experience it seems to be an issue with cars that suffer from understeer, worse if it has electrical assistance. I drove a Fabia Mk 3 a while back & the overly assisted + light steering made the straight ahead position very vague. My old Fabia Mk II had more weight to the steering (I changed it via VCDS), & although it generally improved, again striaight ahead felt numb. I recently drove an almost new Nissan Qashqai, & although that had no deadzone & the steering felt more direct than all the Skodas I have driven, again driving straight was very numb because of how overly assisted the steering is. 

I think the suspension is ok & normal for what the car is. The main issue imo is the 18" Skoda OEM alloys which are too big & heavy causing jittery steering. Also the uprated bushes may help for more firmness & stability. 

The only previous performance car I owned prior to the Octavia was a 1997 Honda Prelude. It was stock, & the handling was better than the Octavia. I think one reason was the double wishbones the Prelude had, something I learnt much later. 

LordRaiden84

Hey man do you mind elaborating and kindly explaining what you mean when referring to steering 'dead zone' as you and Sleeper77 speak of. I have the same model (minus DSG) and I do a fair bit of motorway miles. I have a RARB fitted but still don't know if I have this dead zone thingy and I'm not experienced enough to tell. What exactly am I looking for or feeling if you like? Sorry if I sound thick.

Is this a commonality with the VRS? Is the steering supposed to be more responsive compared to it's equivalent rivals?

The best way to find out or test for deadzone is the following from my experience. Find a nice straight road with nobody about. 20 mph is enough for this test. Move the steering slightly left & then slightly right. If there is no change in the car moving either direction, then the steering has a deadzone (zone or area of no movement input). 

It is common with the VRS & other Skodas from all the ones I have driven. This is why there seems to be a good number of Skoda owners modifying their cars with RARBs & better bushes for eg, to improve the drivetrain & make the car more direct as it should be. 

Just to update even though I made a post on the tyres zone. I just got Michelin Pilot Sport 4s fitted to the front. They still need plenty if time to settle, but already noticed how they are more direct & precise over the Goodyear Asymmetric 3s. So at last an improvement in handling. Mods & other stuff time will come for sure.

• 3 weeks later...

A question if I may. I was thinking of getting the Audi TT bushes fitted. Can they be fitted with the standard Octavia parts already in place, or will I need to get the lower control arms fitted too that go with the TT bushes?

2 hours ago, sleeper77 said:

A question if I may. I was thinking of getting the Audi TT bushes fitted. Can they be fitted with the standard Octavia parts already in place, or will I need to get the lower control arms fitted too that go with the TT bushes?

TT bushes will press straight into the Octavia Console housing and are compatible with the standard steel Octavia lower control arms

• Thanks 1

18 hours ago, brad1.8T said:

TT bushes will press straight into the Octavia Console housing and are compatible with the standard steel Octavia lower control arms

Thanks Brad. Wanted to check as having the uprated bushes would be enough for me. 

On 10/10/2017 at 02:38, brad1.8T said:

Has anyone done a tutorial for drilling the rear sway bar?

12 hours ago, Awesam said:

Has anyone done a tutorial for drilling the rear sway bar?

I did.  It's simply remove the bar, mark out the spot (about 35mm back - it needs to be flat enough for the fastener to sit square), centre punch, pilot drill and finish drill.  The bar is only mild steel.

Photos a FUBAR and I can't edit the original post.  Here they are again.

th_IMAG0336_zpsm8ynfolx.jpg

th_IMAG0337_zpsckiritxy.jpg

Another update on this thread. 

I still want to get the Audi TT bushes installed, & have called my insurance company to see how it affects my cover. However, like the last time I called enquiring about a mod they still don't know what I am talking about. I have tried to be as straightforward as possible without going technical. I told them this would be classed as part of a suspension change which at least they cottoned on to. They told me to call during office hours as this would be referred to the underwriters department. Should have a chance tomorrow when I am not so busy. 

Reference the Michelin PS4s, they are settling in quite well & continue to be more direct than the Goodyear AS3s. I still have not yet encountered wheelspin even in wet weather. The AS3s would wheelspin in dry weather & with non-spirited driving. Still got the AS3s on the rears which are fine so will leave them there. 

2 hours ago, sleeper77 said:

Another update on this thread. 

I still want to get the Audi TT bushes installed, & have called my insurance company to see how it affects my cover. However, like the last time I called enquiring about a mod they still don't know what I am talking about. I have tried to be as straightforward as possible without going technical. I told them this would be classed as part of a suspension change which at least they cottoned on to. They told me to call during office hours as this would be referred to the underwriters department. Should have a chance tomorrow when I am not so busy. 

It doesn't affect insurance.  It's not a modification as it's a wear item.  It's no different to fitting new spark plugs, new tyres or a replacement set of dampers.  You are fitting a factory equivalent part.

I agree 100% that it is not a modification, but the reason I ask is most likely they will always find a way to back out of paying in case of a writeoff as they could view the TT bush as a "non-manufacturer stock" part. In any case if they say no, then I only have a few months left with my current provider & move to another which allows non-factory parts & mods to my insurance. 

Edited by sleeper77

On 11/21/2017 at 09:18, sleeper77 said:

I agree 100% that it is not a modification, but the reason I ask is most likely they will always find a way to back out of paying in case of a writeoff as they could view the TT bush as a "non-manufacturer stock" part. In any case if they say no, then I only have a few months left with my current provider & move to another which allows non-factory parts & mods to my insurance. 

They would have to forensically exam the vehicle to see the change.

That's why I run lots of OEM VW parts on my Octy - they blend right in.  

Golf R intercooler

Golf GTI 312mm rotors & caliper carriers (sprayed silver) with original calipers.

Audi S3 18" rims

Audi S3 alloy LCAs and console bushes

Golf GTI rear sway bar

Other stuff that I've forgotten.

• 3 weeks later...

I contacted my insurer & they said that having the non-standard bushes would be put down as a modification, therefore they cannot allow this on my policy. Also I am not prepared to take any risks by having the bushes installed with my current insurer given if something were to happen.

What I will do in a few months time is look for another insurance company that does allow mods without breaking the bank, as the only other mod I would have done is the RARB.