Car Radio from China 2 DIN

I decided to plonk for a vehicle-specific Xtrons android unit for the b5 passat/superb. I can't say I've noticed a drop in audio quality, but then I'm happy as long as its half-way decent sound. I did find out that some of my speakers are intermittedly refusing to work. (definitely the speakers or wiring, as upon checking it with the original symphony unit, same symptoms occur.) On the other hand, FM-reception is worse than it was before to the point where I don't use it

Personally, I only decided to go chinese because I like to play spotify or use satnav without going through the bother of connecting my phone every time (either bluetooth or usb). It does its job well, and doesnt look out of place like a lot of colourful single-din units. Downsides: blue channel on the rgb-lighting does not work, so limited in colour choice. The wiring adapter (included) had to be changed as the canbus in my car was 2 pins over from where xtrons had them. And last, even though it is custom fit and should hook in just like a factory double din, it is loose and I will at some point have to take the cage out and secure it with screws.

Unless you want an android headunit, I would avoid chinese ones. You get what you pay for, and quality/reliability can be a bit of pot-luck with them. If you do want android, general consensus on the relevant xda forum seems to be to go for px5 octacore units, don't bother with the px3 quadcore units as they can be sluggish

Heres a link to a headunit like the one I bought: Link

Here's some pictures. One thing I forgot to mention, in order to fit all the extra wiring you will need to remove the bar at the back which helps support the oem radio. I managed without removing the cage, but will be a lot easier with the cage removed. I imagine this would be an issue with most double-sized units, especially if you want to keep steering wheel controls.

20171008_085453.jpg

20171008_085421.jpg

• Thanks 1

The only other one I have hands-on experience with is one like this. I installed one into my wife's car, and its doing its job well.

To fit the Superb, you will need a fascia adapter like this one. These adapters are all made with branded (kenwood/pioneer/Sony etc) head-units in mind, which have a slightly smaller face than the dimensions of the actual radio. For Chinese head-units like the one I linked, you will need to enlarge the aperture to be flush with the rest of the adapter's inside. You will also need box to handle steering wheel controls if you wish to retain that functionality, I'd recommend Connects2.