Is my Yeti stealing my internets?

Nobbi1977

Did a long journey the other day with the sat nav on and I started giving me traffic warnings.

My phone was plugged in to the usb charging but I do not have smart link. Is the system using my internet off my phone or were the warnings generic and very lucky?

It must do as I get traffic warnings without listening to the radio. I think it must be on when the ignition is on even if its off if you see what I mean. I think its interesting that as soon as I turn the Satnav on it knows where I am. It doesn't have to find the satellites first like my standalone satnav did.

If the infotainment system is switched on it will receive those broadcasts.

2 hours ago, Nobbi1977 said:

Did a long journey the other day with the sat nav on and I started giving me traffic warnings.

If you press the TMC button it will give all traffic hold ups and if a route is set it will display any problems on the set route.

39 minutes ago, Smokeyjoe said:

I think its interesting that as soon as I turn the Satnav on it knows where I am. It doesn't have to find the satellites first like my standalone satnav did.

That's because it's always on in the background whenever the infotainment system is on, also from a cold start it's pretty quick getting a fix.

30 minutes ago, Urrell said:

If the infotainment system is switched on it will receive those broadcasts.

If you press the TMC button it will give all traffic hold ups and if a route is set it will display any problems on the set route.

All new to me. This is the first time I have used the sat nav anywhere that would have hold ups. The announcements were very localised, right down to the next junction. Every system I had before on the radio covered such a large area it was useless.

Good to know it comes on with the gps though as I never listen to the radio or press the TMC button

Mine will reroute around big delays, but most of the time just tells me there are obstructions on the route ahead. Not much use really as you need to know where and how long the delay is.

however on one trip back to Leeds area from Warwick area it rerouted me several times as traffic conditions changed. Indeed it took me down a route I would not have picked as I thought it went through a built up area, but actually skirted that and was a lot quicker than continuing on to the blocked road reported later on the radio.

My £89 Tom Tom with lifetime maps and traffic through my smartphone which I used previously, knew of every significant jam and was easy to use to route around hold ups. It often gave you a choice indicating at a junction that you could go a different way and save time. I think the latest sat-nav in the Kodiaq uses similar system for live traffic.

Personally though I would have thought that smart link is the way to go as it can already give you google route maps with live traffic from your phone? Surely built in sat-nav systems will soon be going the way of the 8 track, cassette and cd players? These all peaked in quality just before being superseded.

1 hour ago, kenfowler3966 said:

Personally though I would have thought that smart link is the way to go as it can already give you google route maps with live traffic from your phone? Surely built in sat-nav systems will soon be going the way of the 8 track, cassette and cd players? These all peaked in quality just before being superseded.

Surely that presumes that everyone has a Smart phone, that everyone has continuous web access and that everyone has unlimited data downloads? 
Personally none of them apply!

I still prefer my Garmin.

• Like 1

Traffic updates are really useful IF they are timely and accurate, unfortunately in my experience they can be too late to act upon.

In my opinion inbuilt sat nav is very handy but updates too difficult/ expensive after the initial contract. I prefer to use a stand alone Garmin which reroutes as necessary, but also check the diversions with a smart phone / google maps.

On 08/10/2017 at 08:46, Cumbrian28 said:

Traffic updates are really useful IF they are timely and accurate, unfortunately in my experience they can be too late to act upon.

In my opinion inbuilt sat nav is very handy but updates too difficult/ expensive after the initial contract. I prefer to use a stand alone Garmin which reroutes as necessary, but also check the diversions with a smart phone / google maps.

To be honest I do not care to much about traffic. I do not travel or commute enough for it to be an issue. I have found the built in guidance enough for me and quite like the quirky scenic route setting.

I have Co-pilot on my phone, which I have used for years, but I cannot be bothered to turn it on now

Problem I have with inbuilt Amundsen system is that it tells you there are hold-ups on the planned route but re-directs you without telling you it is doing so to avoid the hold up. You then are driving along the preplanned route when it tells you to turn off onto some road which you know is not a direct route to your destination,  you hesitate - or at least I do - so go past the junction and find yourself in a hold-up. Why can't the system tell you it is re-routing to avoid the jam?

Why have the sat-nav running directions if you don't follow them.
When it says hold-ups ahead I keep an eye on the time and distance to destination changing.

7 hours ago, kenfowler3966 said:

Mine does announce that the route has been changed due to traffic conditions.

On the occasions I ignored this and stayed on the previous route I have quickly regretted it.

How does it announce the change? That's just what I'm looking for.

10 hours ago, kenfowler3966 said:

It says so as a voice announcement.

Does it announce it just before it redirects you or much earlier? Don't remember hearing anything about redirection, just the little message box that route has delays.

1 hour ago, kenfowler3966 said:

It announces that the route has been changed due to traffic conditions. No option to stick on previous planned route

Thanks, but does it announce the change long before the route change? Or just before route change?  Can't seem to get my Amundsen to say anything about route changing.

It only changes the route when it picks up a problem via the radio data system somehow. You don't get a warning it is going to do so, it just tells you it has done so.

I often get announcements that there is a problem on the chosen route, but it only seems to divert when the problem means another route will save time.

I did a journey from Near Warwick back to near Leeds and it changed the route from the initial M1 to the A46/A1, then when going up the A46 abandoned part of the A1 and took me around the Nottingham north ring road to A610 or similar. In retrospect it was the quickest route as traffic announcements appeared on the radio about the A46 blocked in Newark and an earlier problem on the M1 near Junction 24.

It is not as intuitive as my Tom Tom which told me exact delays and where they were and gave me options to divert and how much time the diversion would save. May still go back to this assuming it works with the heated windscreen if I get fed up with the built in one. It fits happily into the dashtop box and gets live data via my phone, and more importantly tells me where the speed traps are and the exact speed I am doing.

With my Amundsen+  she does actually say that the route is being recalculated due to delays. Also if the queuing is quite close ahead, the road on the map changes colour. I also found recently that if you bring up the traffic problem list (by pressing the TMC button) and the list includes a road on your route, there is a button to remove that road from your route.

Jim