Insurance value

Coodon

Hi all

had a smash at the weekend and have been told that the insurance company are writing the car off as a total loss.:crying:

its a 65plate Rapid hatchback 1.6tdi s model with 25k & fsh on it. However the engineer has quoted me top book price of 7700 as settlement. However I am far from happy with this quote being less the settlement for finance combined with when I put the details into 2 other valuation sites I get 7700 roughly as bottom book price. The engineer said if I could quote details of other cars being similar age and spec etc for sale for more than the value quoted then he could ask for a review if not would need to go to an internal decision then if not to the ABI for decision who would go with glass's guide  the same as he used. My problem being the model for sale and age is like rocking horse droppings has anyone ever experienced arguing the value with the insurance especially as I cant find the same spec car for sale other than new in the uk!

Get the Insurers offer in writing and go from there, you need to replace like for like as a minimum.

Is the Engineers quote to the Underwriter and what is being offered?

So forget Dealerships asking prices and see what the buying price is.

Have you had a Skoda Main Dealer checking the vehicles available to see if they can get a vehicle to the spec you need.

Plenty ex lease / fleet cars will be getting returned at 2 years old and maybe there will be something available around the country.

Sorry to hear that, do your research as well as what is for sale now, what has already sold recently - that should get the list a bit larger.

I know it doesn't help you now, but in future always buy GAP insurance. They pay you the gap between what your insurance pays and an actual replacement - it isn't much cost at all and I know from experience they pay up

Thats the problem I cant find any for sale second hand so how can 3 comparison sites glass. parkers and honest john all vary as much if the ABI use Glass am I pretty much stuffed as I just cant get other cars the same spec as mine for sale for comparison rarity usually means more value!

• 3 weeks later...

Glasses is trade price is it not or based on auction prices so going to be a lot lower than parkers or HJ will show.

Books of Fiction but bottom book is always good to show and then offer a bit more or less or what ever when buying.

The only price that matters is what someone buying will pay if you are selling, or if buying how low the seller will go.

People trading are getting lazy and check what they can get if they punt to WBAC or others and offer less, or some the same or more, 

no hard rules, and as always it is a buyers market, loads of used cars everywhere.