Strange engine sound

Yes guys,

I too have this issue, and its 2016 skoda octavia vrs, The dealer said all is ok, nothing to worry about and that its normal. First they changed the tensioner and timing belt, but didnt help. After that they said its normal.
I guess its this vacuum/oil pump. The car has 24k Miles. ANyway..like I said, skoda dealer is saying its "normal". :)

• 1 year later...

Hi guys. I got 2017 2.0 diesel vrs with 19000 miles in clock and my one is doing the same noise. This is not normal at all. I got a same experience with DM Keith skoda in Leeds. Bring down the car 3 times and they saying they don't here anything. Than fourth time saying I have Crankshaft issue and nearly kicked me out with the warranty. They don't care at all. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Peter1178 said:

Hi guys. I got 2017 2.0 diesel vrs with 19000 miles in clock and my one is doing the same noise. This is not normal at all. I got a same experience with DM Keith skoda in Leeds. Bring down the car 3 times and they saying they don't here anything. Than fourth time saying I have Crankshaft issue and nearly kicked me out with the warranty. They don't care at all. 

How can they get away with providing such terrible service? Especially whilst you have a warranty! Hope this never happens with my 1.6TDi :x

• 4 months later...

Hello to everyone! 
I bought my Octavia mk3 2014 2.0 with 150.000 km in November. When I went to check it, engine was totally cold, and sound was normal for cold engine. After test drive it was 90C heated and again no weird sounds. About less than month ago I noticed that rattle sound like is described previously in this topic, and it is always like you said between 50-80C. Not when it is totally cold, but with heating to 90C it goes away. 

I am just wonder, did any of you find some solution for this problem? As you told that changing of pump did not solve or it happened again. Also I see, someone said after +50k km it is same, but it is really annoying for listening outside for that "tak, tak, tak, tak..." :envy:

If anyone solved meanwhile please let me know.

Thanks! 

• Sad 1

Haha

I have write here a years ago for this problem:)

Nobody has this sound on yours car. But i told that this problem is on all cars 2013-2017.   

Its the vacum pump! Vhen you hear this ratling push quickley brake pedal and the sound wil change.

Skoda delalers dont care about this! 

Search for my thema octavia 3 rattling.

Edited by Skodilakrs1
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Sec8200 said:

@Skodilakrs1 we are all aware of the issue. One thing is not clear : is it dangerous?

And its not clear if new is installed will it develop the noise again..

Do you know?

As I read it here, it is same sound in future for years, and as I read, they said even with changing pump it happens again.

I am interested in how can it be solved with any solution? 

Anyway engine works perfectly, I am more than satisfied with my car...

• Like 1

On 24/10/2017 at 18:57, Nervoz said:

Hi guys,

I'm having the following issue with my 2016 2.0 TDI 4x4 DSG.

Every morning, when the engine is cold and I start it up, I hear this rattle coming from the right side of the engine. It's best heard somewhere near the right wheel, like in the video below. After a few miles, when the engine reaches 60+ degrees, the rattle goes away.

I went to the local Skoda dealer and I was told that it's a "normal" sound and I shouldn't worry about it as it could be the vacuum pump. 

I was wondering if someone else had this problem, or ever heard that noise before and if you know what could be the source.

Thank you.

Oh, I know what that is. You will find that is the timing belt playing up and 'scruping' on the pulleys. Do you also occasionally hear a rattle from under the bonnet when driving along too? It did/occasionally still does that on my 2019 Tdi Scout. No danger. You need to go to the dealer and get them to replace the belt and belt tensioner (under warranty) or get them to apply a fix which is to apply a slipping compound on one side of the timing belt which stops this from happening. 

There was a duff set of timing belts that were installed on the Octavia's between 2017 and 2020. They were slightly out of specification, slightly too wide. Its entirety pot luck on whether this effects you or not. There is probably an advisory associated with this, as my dealer West End Skoda in Edinburgh knew about this.

• Thanks 1

I am very thankful for this topic! I was worries that the DMF is on it’s way...

I knew about the engine noise from the vacuum pump when the car is cold and idle, but recently I’ve started to hear some rattling noise occasionally when running and I was thinking it’s not connected to the vacuum pump, but more likely to engine or gearbox.

When it happens that rattling can be heard at low engine speed like 1200-1300 rpm. The cars is on 115k kms and it’s fairly uncommon to be the DMF, but I thought it could be a defective clutch pack..

Anyway, I plan to change my timing belt and water pump this summer as a preventive measure, because of all those defective pumps on E288 engines :) I’ll write if something changes, but it’s unlikely.

Edited by fr1nklyn

• 3 months later...

Hi to all,

I´ve just registered to share my experience.

I have a Seat Leon ST 1.6 TDI 115hp from 2017 with 33k Miles on it.

It starts to develop this exact same noise and was thinking to replace v-belt tensioner, belt, and maybe timing belt and tensioner. The water pump is a well known common fault also, because of his electromagnetic state. I have heard that it can be replace by a normal one, and use the solenoid of the old one.

Concerning this noise, i can´t believe this is normal, but i believe based on this thread shared experiences, has mine produces this same noise on cold and it´s really bugging me.

Any news on this?

Best Regards from Portugal

Hi. I Try everything to make skoda a part replacement,  but nobody wanna reply or even try to sort this out. I replaced the oil pump on my  octavia by my self, and the noise is got better, but the real issue is the oil. I believe so many of you use Castrol oil, and for me looks like this is the issue. If you looking for the right oil, so many places offer Castrol edge or magnetic oil. I changed for Liqui moly oil and its looks like it was the rightmove. 

Best regards Peter

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Peter1178 said:

Hi. I Try everything to make skoda a part replacement,  but nobody wanna reply or even try to sort this out. I replaced the oil pump on my  octavia by my self, and the noise is got better, but the real issue is the oil. I believe so many of you use Castrol oil, and for me looks like this is the issue. If you looking for the right oil, so many places offer Castrol edge or magnetic oil. I changed for Liqui moly oil and its looks like it was the rightmove. 

Best regards Peter

That makes a lot of sense to me... I´ll explain better...

I bought my seat 5 ou 6 months ago used. I don´t know what was the oil used in the engine.

Last week i changed it to Castrol Edge titanium 5w30, and the noise got worst.

So i think it´s a problem that we must live with  it, if no problem related occur, and on the next oil change i will try other brand.

Thanks a lot for your input.

• Like 1

@Peter1178 @BATI2TA - I'm sure first tine I've heard it was after first change of oil. Not sure what was the factory one but the new one was Castrol. I've changed afterwards few times Castol and Shell..no diff. Those are only approved here by the local dealer.

Can you please shed more light?

• 4 weeks later...

Greetings to all!

I have an update!!!

I literally changed it all. Distribution kit, oil pump and belt. Using Motul Oil 5w30 with vag 507 specs.

if it was worth it? Not at all! Stay still. Don´t waste your money.

The noise continues, but far less, and goes way much sooner. I checked the old oil pump and just by turning it, it´s very noisy, especially the vacuum part.

The best option it´s to live with it. I have made peace with it. Please don´t make the same mistake, likei did.

My car now have 54.600 Km.

Regards

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

My 2015 1.6 TDI made this same noise. Once the engine warmed up it went away. I recently sold the car with 196k miles on the clock so it's not an issue. I'm a bit of OCD about noises and this one didn't bother me.

• Like 1

@BATI2TAThank you very much for the feedback!

This will save money to many of us wondering would the oil pump change fix the issue.

Much appreciated!

Edited by fr1nklyn

At least i changed the water pump also to a mechanic one. When i said Distribution kit, i meant timing belt (sorry, local usage).

It was the only thing that was worth it.

• Thanks 1