Strange engine sound

Hi guys,

I'm having the following issue with my 2016 2.0 TDI 4x4 DSG.

Every morning, when the engine is cold and I start it up, I hear this rattle coming from the right side of the engine. It's best heard somewhere near the right wheel, like in the video below. After a few miles, when the engine reaches 60+ degrees, the rattle goes away.

I went to the local Skoda dealer and I was told that it's a "normal" sound and I shouldn't worry about it as it could be the vacuum pump. 

I was wondering if someone else had this problem, or ever heard that noise before and if you know what could be the source.

Thank you.

12 minutes ago, Auric Goldfinger said:

Very strange as the dealer said " They all do it, it could be the Vacuum Pump "

The answer should be " They all do it, It is the vacuum pump "

Sounds like they don't know what it is.............seems like they arn't intrested either.

That's exactly how they said it, and I am not kidding. I've given them an example, as my friend just bought a 2017 2.0 tdi 4x4 combi, with the exact same config, and there's no rattle. Their answer was that each engine is different. (at this point I face-palmed) the conversation continued but it's pointless to carry on here as I was not winning...

Anyway, the thing is I really worry about the sound.

I've heard all kind of possibilities, the vacuum pump, oil pump, some kind of plastic that can rattle when cold.. 

32 minutes ago, Auric Goldfinger said:

Can you try a different dealer ?  Ring Skoda Customer Services in Romania, tell them whats going on and tell them about a possible ' Not Intrested Dealer "

Worth a try, keep us posted on the result

Thanks

Will do, thank you. Tomorrow I'll call another dealer and schedule an appointment with them. Hopefully they will at least try to find the source. Anyway, I'll keep you posted on my progress 

Vacuum and oil pump is one and the same unit for this engine. And yes - 90% probability it rattles. Another suspected unit is the alternator bearing.

Mine started around 10k miles. In the thread you can find few details, however please share your milage and what you were told after the second check.

Many people suffer from this, I can tell you that TDI is noisier but I've heard myself two TSIs 1.8 as well. As for your friend, just wait for it, some units are noisier some not, but all have it. The worst part is that a russian guy that I was chatting w/ win drive2.ru replaced it and guess what - after 6 months the same!

Good luck and yes this is very very disappointing **** for our new cars. Breaks the enjoyment!

Edited by TTodorov

43 minutes ago, TTodorov said:

Vacuum and oil pump is one and the same unit for this engine. And yes - 90% probability it rattles. Another suspected unit is the alternator bearing.

Mine started around 10k miles. In the thread you can find few details, however please share your milage and what you were told after the second check.

Many people suffer from this, I can tell you that TDI is noisier but I've heard myself two TSIs 1.8 as well. As for your friend, just wait for it, some units are noisier some not, but all have it. The worst part is that a russian guy that I was chatting w/ win drive2.ru replaced it and guess what - after 6 months the same!

Good luck and yes this is very very disappointing **** for our new cars. Breaks the enjoyment!

I'll call the second dealer today and schedule an appointment. Regarding the mileage, I'm currently at ~35.000 km (~22000 miles). The shame is that I treat my car better than 90% of people around me, as I always enjoy having a perfectly running/looking car.

Anyway, yesterday I contacted Skoda on Facebook, told them the story and they asked me to send them an e-mail to Skoda "HQ" describing in detail the issue and how the dealer tried solving it. They seemed very interested on how the problem was taken care of by the dealer. 

I'll keep you posted.

28 minutes ago, Nervoz said:

I'll call the second dealer today and schedule an appointment. Regarding the mileage, I'm currently at ~35.000 km (~22000 miles). The shame is that I treat my car better than 90% of people around me, as I always enjoy having a perfectly running/looking car.

Same here, this is why I feel very disappointed. Difference is, as we take care we hear that sound, the rest have it w/o taking care.

Please share details later on and how you reach higher level in Skoda HQ.

My 1.6 TDI DSG sel estate was making that very sound this morning as I started it. I got out after starting it to get something out of the boot and heard it. Could it be the oil pump on mine aslo? 

I have an obd11 and on previous scans I have seen that it said that the oil quality is poor? How accurate is the sensor in detecting the quality?

I have had issues with the dealer regards the service and interval settings in this last 12 months. I'm wondering if they have used the correct spec oil on the last service, or maybe they haven't?

It's due for a service in another 2000 miles or just over a month's time, so I will have to see what they say. It should have been set on 20,000 mile or 12 months interval, but it came up at 6 months? I did return it to the dealer and they tried to assure me that it was the long life oil and that it was set on the correct service interval.

Mine is changed earlier - 15 000 km and approximately one year after I've bought the car. Can't really say if the TO was the reason to start this noise or not ...

Which app do you use to check the quality of the oil? Is this you first oil change that is approaching, meaning you drive with the 'original' oil that came from the factory?

Honestly said I'm so frustrated and disappointed, if I knew this would have happened I wouldn't buy Skoda, specially w/ TDI engine.

Edited by TTodorov

I'm using OBDeleven I have the full set up. So I can make changes/adaptations, scan etc.

On a scan a little while ago, after the dealer reset the car's service indicator, it was saying that the engine oil was "poor quality" when I run an engine scan.

The car had a service before I bought it, then this one that I'm seriously questioning whether they used the correct spec oil? Now it is soon due to go in for another service.

My last car was a VW golf GTs 2.0 TDI that had the bkd engine and that was great upto the point it died on me. :sadsmile:

• Thanks 1

I think I have something similar but mine is not so loud.

I discovered it at 150k km (but who knows when did it start) while smoking a cigarette after work and the car was idling and warming up.

Car has done additional 50k km (now at 200k km) since I made the video and it didn't get any worse.

Mine is a 2.0 TDI with DSG.

My first thought was the dual mass flywheel because the noise is very similar (I have some experience with my earlier Golf).

Once the engine warms up the noise disappears. From memory (I am not 100% sure) the noise is not present when the engine is completely cold (below 20 degrees). So there's a temperature interval for this noise.

• Thanks 1

@aki78, it sounds the same.

Mine does it no matter the starting temperature until about 80 degrees C.

I doubt it's the oil quality (not totally excluding it as an option though) since I've put the same Castrol Long Life as the one it came with.

5 hours ago, Stonker said:

I have an obd11 and on previous scans I have seen that it said that the oil quality is poor? How accurate is the sensor in detecting the quality?

As far as I know 'poor quality oil' means that your car was set to 15k oil change interval, nothing else. Don't worry about it.

There's no oil quality sensor it's just counting the miles and days.

Are you guys not over-worrying a little?

My 2014 TSI DSG vRS makes all sorts of odd noises, mainly after I’ve turned it off, and I just figure that it’s driving beautifully, it has no warning lights, and it is regularly serviced and pampered, so I don’t worry. 

Cars are so complicated now, I just try to trust the experts. It definitely helps if you trust your dealer. If not, find a different one or an independent (after warranty). 

Good luck with your cars!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, TTodorov said:

@dunc69, I'm not sure what their interest is.Mine is to be flawless when I use it ;)

@aki78, in English how this "un-even" sound is best described. What is the best word for it?

I don’t know the correct phrase for it. Random metallic rattle? :)

Does your noise change when you press or release the clutch pedal? I have only two pedals so I can’t try it. :) I am still wondering whether it is DMF noise or not..

Thanks god it’s a company car.

6 hours ago, aki78 said:

I don’t know the correct phrase for it. Random metallic rattle? :)

Does your noise change when you press or release the clutch pedal? I have only two pedals so I can’t try it. :) I am still wondering whether it is DMF noise or not..

Thanks god it’s a company car.

Apparently the clutch press-depress is not so intuitive with DSG. I found this thread on a VW Golf forum that explains and gives examples as to what DMF failure in a DSG is like:

http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthread.php?t=5948064

• Thanks 1

@aki78, clutch pedal press and release does not change the sound.

However you can try pressing few times the brake pedal, the russian guys reported it stops for a second with this scenario.I guess because the vacuum goes to the pedal brake accelerator for awhile. Try it.

Man, you are blessed, for me it's the personal car :(

• 2 weeks later...

I've just got a comment on my youtube video:

i have also an Skoda Octavia 3 Combi from end of 2014, 2.0l diesel and i have the same noise as you have. In my case it appeared last year in december when i had 60k. Since then i was to several Skoda and VW services in 2 different countries. Initially nobody knew what do to and where the sound is coming from. I even made a similar film as you posted here and send it to Skoda in Czech Republic. After some months i received an email that the problem is confirmed by them and the noise is coming from the vaccum - oil pump which is a DUO pump for the 2.0 engines. It seems that the rotor is outside tollerance and this is why its doing this noise when the engine is cold. After the water/ engine temperature increases (around 60 deg) the noise is gone... according to Skoda this is perfectly normal and the engine runs as it should. In other words, as too many engines are being affected by this problem they refuse to do something.

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

@DaveDaveDave, yes mate there are several thread, the issue is the same ;)

@aki78, thanks mate! We all agree the pump is the cause, it's proven by replacing it, noises stop. 

How to read the rotor is outside tolerrance-disbalanced? What do you think? 

I still hold myself changing it before I decide if it will remove it permanently. If only for few months and re-appear ... don't know... not sure it will cause damage to the engine or is just the ****ty sound.

Edited by TTodorov

Hey guys. Just a short update. I e-mailed Skoda CZ on the 25th of October, and since then, I only got a reply on the 3rd of November, from one of the CS employees asking for the service papers (which I included in my first e-mail) so he can "forward" my request to the Customer Care Department. Since then, no updates. Did a follow-up, no reply. 

I started to believe that, as a colleague said in an earlier post, this case will be closed as "expected behavior". 

Will keep you updated if they will finally reply. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1