Back to Diesel

Woody37

A new Karoq ordered, a 2.0 TDI 4WD DSG in Gun Metal Grey, to replace our brilliant Yeti.

A return to diesel is a bit of a blow, but we felt 4WD was essential this time.

Why do very few manufacturers offer a Petrol 4WD Auto, apart from fire-breathing monsters?

A 1.5TSi was the one we wanted, but not even planned we were told.

There was another thread on Petrol AWD Autos and there are a a few available not just fire-breathing ones.

From VW / Audi/ Seat/ Honda, Jeep, Fiat, Suzuki, Vauxhall, Ford, Nissan, BMW/MINI, Toyota, Volvo and likely more, & there are ones that are not SUV's.

The 1.5TSI might be coming as a Hybrid AWD (electric motors driving rear wheels) soon enough, maybe as a Skoda Mini SUV or Estate

Edited by Headinawayoffski

3 hours ago, Woody37 said:

A 1.5TSi was the one we wanted, but not even planned we were told.

If my dealings with Škoda dealership staff are anything to go by, I would take most things from them with a pinch of salt. 

1.5TSi 4x4 is available in other markets, and I cannot see any reason why it cannot be available in the UK especially with 'Dieselgate' and the proposed crackdown on diesel vehicles planned by some local authorities in the not so distant future. 

We have bought on a 36 month PCP so any alarmingly unforeseen depreciation is their problem not ours (using the keys back and walk away option).

Anyway, it's a great looking car and if it's as good as the Yeti we'll be very happy indeed.

On 31/10/2017 at 21:46, Headinawayoffski said:

Which markets is the Karoq 1.5TSI DSG AWD available in or other models with the 1.5TSI DSG & AWD?

I think at least Germany or Austria, from the Autogefuhl youtube review. Happy to be corrected if I've mis-remembered.

1 hour ago, wonkyewok said:

I think at least Germany or Austria, from the Autogefuhl youtube review. Happy to be corrected if I've mis-remembered.

Yes the Autogefuhl video did say 1.5TSI DSG AWD would be available. just not when! 

VW don't produce that engine/drive configuration yet so I will be curious as to when Skoda get it!

Thomas was doing the Kodiak launch vid and talked hybrids etc and then talked straightway to the Development Engineer that was 'maybe baby sometime'.

Thomas gets lost in translation so often and VW Group wind him up.

So a Hybrid Fabia Hot Hatch maybe baby in 3 years time,  a vRS, Young, Interesting etc.

Good when and if, AWD Hybrids with small capacity engines, 24volt & Electric Motors.    Just not quite yet as the VW Group / Skoda Spin 

because really they are behind the curve on light tech.

Just now in Fat VW Vehicles first & as small as a Golf or A3 and the MPG is a bit of kidology and will not stand up to Real World Emissions / MPG testing.

Up! EV was not a success or a full EV Golf.

4 hours ago, philipashby said:

Yes the Autogefuhl video did say 1.5TSI DSG AWD would be available. just not when! 

VW don't produce that engine/drive configuration yet so I will be curious as to when Skoda get it!

26-27 minutes into this. I'd assumed he was correct, but maybe not...

6 hours ago, Headinawayoffski said:

?

Who annonnced that and where, was it the Skoda CEO, any link?

That was published on Serbian Škoda forum by our admin:

1.5 TSI 4x4 DSG week 48/2018

2.0 TDI 140 kW 4x4 DSG week 18/2018

Some kind of inside info, that's all I can say. ;)

Link to the post: http://forum.skodaforum.rs/karoq-2017/skoda-karoq-utisci-i-komentari/msg75184/#msg75184

Edited by cofi
  • Like 2

I find the whole what you can and can't have very frustrating.

As well as the Karoq 1.5 tsi I'm looking at the Tiguan and preferably the 2.0 tsi over the 1.4 tsi but it is only available in SE L and DSG which starts to make it very expensive.

Manufacturers like to try and give the impression they are giving you plenty of choice but in reality they aren't and are trying to force you into something that you don't really want.

I've had plenty of Audis and VWs in the past, both manual and auto and have always been able to choose the engine/gearbox/spec that I wanted, sadly this is no longer the case.

The upshot of this is that you start looking elsewhere (outside of VWG) when maybe you wouldn't have otherwise.

Edited by VAGCF

2 hours ago, wonkyewok said:

I'm tempted by the Peugeot 3008, but I think the front grill looks even worse than that on the Karoq, and the Autogefuhl review says the Karoq is really quiet inside which I value.

i too was tempted in the 3008 or 5008 but when I sat in drivers seat  in the 5008 (cockpit) as they call it  I could not move my left leg much it was like being on a Thomas cook flight

Many years ago I had a couple of Renaults, a 6 followed by a 16, quirky but nice. Since then they have moved on and now include technological innovations such as electrics that also go wrong, to match most other things on the car. I still think French cars are an acquired taste, and resale values reflect this belief.

If I was going to spend £30K on something French I would prefer to invest it in something with a letter box that needed rebuilding, instead of something on 4 wheels. The exceptions would however be a Citroen Avante, Pallas or H van, but now I'm dreaming and under the influence of Friday evening red wine intake.

Colin

• Haha 1

On 02/11/2017 at 19:00, cofi said:

That was published on Serbian Škoda forum by our admin:

1.5 TSI 4x4 DSG week 48/2018

2.0 TDI 140 kW 4x4 DSG week 18/2018

Some kind of inside info, that's all I can say. ;)

Link to the post: http://forum.skodaforum.rs/karoq-2017/skoda-karoq-utisci-i-komentari/msg75184/#msg75184

Build week 48/2018 effectively means from January 2019

allowing time for delivery etc for petrol 4x4

Clearly seen by Skoda as a low priority.

12 hours ago, eribaMotters said:

Many years ago I had a couple of Renaults, a 6 followed by a 16, quirky but nice. Since then they have moved on and now include technological innovations such as electrics that also go wrong, to match most other things on the car. I still think French cars are an acquired taste, and resale values reflect this belief.

If I was going to spend £30K on something French I would prefer to invest it in something with a letter box that needed rebuilding, instead of something on 4 wheels. The exceptions would however be a Citroen Avante, Pallas or H van, but now I'm dreaming and under the influence of Friday evening red wine intake.

Colin

Funnily enough my Dad had a Renault 6 and 16! I remember the big squashy sears and column change of the 16 as a kid. He also went on to have a 18 and a Fuego. Had French cars for years. Must have lost a ton of money in depreciation!