Fabia vRS mk4 to come,at last, in Hybrid form ?

I think the issues with Toyota hybrids is just how mind-numbingly dull they are to drive. If all you want is an appliance to get from A to B then they're fine. Efficient, safe, reliable, all the other things that appeal to your wallet. But absolutely no involvement. I know a Fabia is hardly up there for driving enjoyment either, but it's a hell of a lot better than a Yaris. 

On 04/11/2017 at 11:33, Kobayashi said:

Realistic options for VRS MK4:

1) More BHP than the standard version at least (15 to 25BHP)

2) Lowering springs (some nice suspension)

3) Flappy Paddles 

4) Meatier sounding exhaust (unlikely)

5) Mud flaps all round

I think all these are achievable within a reasonable budget, even #4 (which is a MUST) 

I don't like my pea shooter exhaust, they should copy the SEAT exhaust or similar and add some more grunt (less packing in the silencer)

The 1.4 150ps would be an ideal place to start......maybe even an option with a 1.8 GTI engine too dream on!:sleepy:

• Like 1

15 hours ago, James777 said:

I think all these are achievable within a reasonable budget, even #4 (which is a MUST) 

I don't like my pea shooter exhaust, they should copy the SEAT exhaust or similar and add some more grunt (less packing in the silencer)

The 1.4 150ps would be an ideal place to start......maybe even an option with a 1.8 GTI engine too dream on!:sleepy:

Basically if we buy a VRS MK4 we shouldnt have to risk driving to tuning shop to do everything (such as lowering / exhausts) that could be on to start with.

Maybe they might fit an acoustic device that sounds meatier (i read somewhere that some cars have this..) bit of  a cheapo cheat..

I can imagine in 5 years time most of the questions will be how to remove sandbagged battery and make into a non hybrid car re tuned to 200bhp :tongueout:

I am  going to stuggle with all hybrids if they need plugging in overnight & charging as i live / park on a terrace street so will have problems trying to charge it up?

Edited by Kobayashi

1.4 engine is highly unlikely as now VW moved on and it is a 1.5TSI EVO ACT with 150ps.

As to the 1.8TSI that had 192ps, that is going as well. as in all the chickens came home to roost on Implausible / Irregular Co2 g/km and now real world testing matters, and by next year that might get even more like real world for the up coming Euro 7 emissions.

Edited by Headinawayoffski

They seem to be moving to the 2.0 instead of the 1.8 TSIs. The new Tiguan in the US has a derated version of the 2.0 putting out similar figures to the 1.8 also sold in US cars, but with supposedly better fuel economy as it runs (at least partially) on a new 'Budack' cycle, not dissimilar to the Atkinson cycle. 

2.0TSI in the New Polo GTI, but euro 6 testing and in before the 1st September and the new Real World testing, 

the New Type approved vehicles being produced in the next couple of years are going to be very different in preparation for the platforms being used in Euro 7 emission vehicles.

6 hours ago, vc-10 said:

They seem to be moving to the 2.0 instead of the 1.8 TSIs. The new Tiguan in the US has a derated version of the 2.0 putting out similar figures to the 1.8 also sold in US cars, but with supposedly better fuel economy as it runs (at least partially) on a new 'Budack' cycle, not dissimilar to the Atkinson cycle. 

low 30's mpg on highway run, then you want the power that figure will get a lot worse, not exactly ground breaking but an interesting video

Mrs Torque's Toyota Yaris Hybrid is just FWD. 1.5 petrol engine, putting out a lazy 100bhp plus an electic motor adding 45 KW and a combined torque figure of 270Nm, mated to a CVT transmission. No fireball but rather fun to drive, especially balancing progress with keeping the EV light lit...and the petrol lump at rest.  There is an EV button that keeps the engine out of play until battery gets down to,about 10% of capacity, but it's more fun to refine your driving style to keep it electric for as long as possible.

It has changed my views on hybrids, hence Toyota being top of my next shopping list......that and the fact that our local Toyota dealer only seems to have one answer to any reasonable question....Yes.  Not forgetting, of course, the standard 5 years/100,000 miles warranty.

Yaris is a bit small for me so an Auris Tourer Hybrid is a distinct possibility.

Edited by alltorque
Updated info

• 6 months later...

i'm just getting my 1.0tsi 110bhp car but that engine i read they re trying to tweak to 177bhp the engineers , put hybrid on that  it'll be faster  mind you i had a suzuki swift sport 1.6 un turbo and that managed 130ish bhp not just about power it is how it handles too that thing i could throw about all day lone when needed

Which engineers VW?  Where do you hear that? 

Plenty 1.0 3 cylinder petrol car engines have 125ps - 140ps or so, eg MINI  or Ford and get taken to 160ps.  ie Fords.

136 ps with the Suzuki, but them that is not unusual for a 1.6 N/A petrol. Neither is high emissions.

Look at what 660cc turbo 3 cylinder Suzuki engines can give.  (only 80 hp in a Caterham 160, but more is possible.)

Maybe why VW bought 20% of Suzuki, to get what Suzuki & Fiat knew.

R&D & the experience, technical knowledge of Small capacity turbo and hybrids. & also electric turbo and superchargers that Suzuk / Fiati, Ford / Volvo, GM had.

(Just coincidence that the night before the VW Scandal broke Sept 2015 that Suzuki bought back their last shares.   

Coincidence the head VW USA went to head Volvo in 2010, then to GM Global,  he was of the VW Family, Stefan Jacoby...)

http://bbc.co.uk/news/business-34275917 

The hybrid / electric motors go in addition to the engine.

Ford know about small capacity turbo engines.... So do Yamaha. Volvo knew lots about Turbo & Superchargers and Ford owned Volvo before Geely did and Stafan Jacoby moved to Volvo. He worked at Mitsubishi as well....

Edited by Offski
  • Like 1

I do question the reliability of the Ford 1.0 Ecoboosts though- I've not heard good things long-term.

The problem with these small displacement engines isn't getting the power out of them, it's getting the power reliably and with good drivability. People don't want a return to 80s-style turbo engines where the lag is measured in days, and variable geometry turbochargers only go so far. Hybrid systems where the electric motor can 'torque fill' can help a lot towards this though. 

It's also worth pointing out that VAG power figures are often rather conservative. I seem to remember seeing a dyno test of the Fabia 1.2 TSI 90 getting over 100PS, I think it was some Polish magazine doing the testing.

^^^ 

Why VW designed, engineered and sold a 1.4 tsi Twincharger with the same power as a VW 4, 5 or 6 cylinder petrol 2 litre or bigger engine.

Only mistake was they penny pinched on important bits, Intake Manafold, Piston / Rings / scrapers, Injectors, software and consumables.

Chains, tensioners and the honesty were all a bit sh!te sadly.

VW / Audi built the plants to build the engines to have the Electric Turbo or Supercharger, like in Hungary and in South America,

only problem was they were for Audi Diesels first, and they built cars, now they will go 24 volt systems and water pump / alternator super chargers and other new tech but that will need to be with petrol engines.  Just they need time because they are always behind the competition stealing their ideas when they can get past patents etc, or just buy into the company with the patents.

PS

The Max Figures published are the Minimum that should be achieved when not in ideal conditions, weather, height above sea level, and on not the best fuels, so obviously in ideal conditions the power / efficiency should be better than the minimum.

Averages require high and low figures. 

Edited by Offski
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Offski said:

Which engineers VW?  Where do you hear that? 

Plenty 1.0 3 cylinder petrol car engines have 125ps - 140ps or so, eg MINI  or Ford and get taken to 160ps.  ie Fords.

136 ps with the Suzuki, but them that is not unusual for a 1.6 N/A petrol. Neither is high emissions.

Look at what 660cc turbo 3 cylinder Suzuki engines can give.  (only 80 hp in a Caterham 160, but more is possible.)

Maybe why VW bought 20% of Suzuki, to get what Suzuki & Fiat knew.

R&D & the experience, technical knowledge of Small capacity turbo and hybrids. & also electric turbo and superchargers that Suzuk / Fiati, Ford / Volvo, GM had.

(Just coincidence that the night before the VW Scandal broke Sept 2015 that Suzuki bought back their last shares.   

Coincidence the head VW USA went to head Volvo in 2010, then to GM Global,  he was of the VW Family, Stefan Jacoby...)

http://bbc.co.uk/news/business-34275917 

The hybrid / electric motors go in addition to the engine.

Ford know about small capacity turbo engines.... So do Yamaha. Volvo knew lots about Turbo & Superchargers and Ford owned Volvo before Geely did and Stafan Jacoby moved to Volvo. He worked at Mitsubishi as well....

saw it online i'd guess vw or skoda engineers  saw it when i was looking into the 1.0tsi engine as i knew little about it coming from a stage 2 audi .,

i have had 2 suzuki swift sports 1.6 standards although one lowered strut bar powerflow induction etc that seemed to fly emissions in both were high , not as bad as the audi but bad enough for a small car

r

Good on them if they are allowed to play about getting 132kw out of a 1.0TSI for vehicles they will be selling.

I read lots on what VW are up to, usually in Auto Express from some Factory Insider and an article with typo's.

Never read were they come back and say sorry that was total tosh.