Petrol or Diesel?

MickyBee

I'm just about to buy an Octavia and don't know which engine to go for.

Mainly the wife drives the car to work, pretty gently.

Once a twice a month we go for trips away to the lakes or Scotland, so it needs to cruise well on the motorway and pull up Scottish mountain roads.

I'm worried that I will have DPF problems with a diesel.

Thanks

Mick

• Like 1

Had the same decision myself recently , had been doing 18>20 k miles a year , but drooping down to circa 15 k , in an old diesel , no DPF , decided that  what with a DPF , AdBlue  and all the diesel potential issues gone for a 1.5 petrol octavia  , know the fuel consumption may go up , but decided in the long run more stress free. Friend had a Ford Kuga recently where the DPF failed and cost over 1.5k to get it fixed , rearlly think now unless doing in the range of 20k miles a year it has to be a petrol.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I have 2011 1.6 tdi Octy estate remapped to 130 BHP and 350 Nm ,  and I love how it drives , didnt have any problem with DPF , you can clean those things so its not that big of a problem . 

Averaging 45 mpg city and over 50 motorways . 

Welcome.

You are right to worry.

Diesels should be cheap because indeed there are worries and people are punting troublesome diesels because VW cheated and Euro 5 TDI's into Main Dealerships get The Fix, and that is not a good thing.

Used cars might have had The Fix, that makes it a Lottery.

You might as well get a Petrol, you know it makes sense, or buyer beware buying a Diesel used, 

and the riskiest of all is a 1.6TDI CR Euro 5 that has had The Fix, scary thoughts, but at least VW give a sort of 24 month peace of mind guarantee, 

little use if you buy a used car that runs crap and needs the Main Dealership and parts etc etc and lots of guff from employees in dealerships.

I had diesels for some time and particularly enjoyed the mpg.

In July, I took the decision to sell my excellent diesel Superb and bought a petrol car.

I soon discovered that my preoccupation with mpg was misplaced. 

Yes, my fuel usage is higher but it really does not amount to much in terms of money.

I also enjoy the benefits of a quieter, lighter car that warms up within a mile of leaving home.

The turning point for me was an unsolicited comment by a local garage owner while he was MOT testing my motorcycle.  He remarked that in terms of simplicity and costs of repair, modern diesels were a nightmare.

Petrol for me from now on. Good luck with your decision making.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

My earlier comparrison was from my 1.9 pd 130 bhp diesel which i have added 245k miles too , No DPF ,no VW fix , and easy to service . But looking at the newer diesels gave me all the added concerns , so petrol it is to be , and the 1.5 petrol gets 150 bhp , No concerns if diesel Tax and fuel price gets hammered .