BMW 330e M Sport

planehazza

Anyone driven the 330e?  Was looking at the Golf GTE on the NHS lease scheme at about £350 a month.  I've since spotted i can get a moderately spec'd 330e M Sport Shadow edition for £380 a month.  Being on the lease scheme, the car is never 'mine', but it does include Tax, Insurance, servicing, the lot...

The 530e isn't terribly more expensive, as it's on a special offer currently.  I can't seem to spec the digital dash on the 330e - is it a must have? It does look nice mind...

Is Jeremy Hunt negotiating these rates to offset the zero to 1% pay rises since 2010, for NHS employees.

Will be interesting to see Jeremy 's ministerial car  and not the bicycle leaving the house for the TV &National Press photographers.

4 minutes ago, vrskeith said:

Is Jeremy Hunt negotiating these rates to offset the zero to 1% pay rises since 2010, for NHS employees.

Will be interesting to see Jeremy 's ministerial car  and not the bicycle leaving the house for the TV &National Press photographers.

I'm just asking for advice about the car... 

Cheers ;)

I've had the 330e M Sport for a week, my boss has just taken delivery of a 530e M Sport.

The 330e is a very very nice car, swapped from a 120d M Sport and it handles a lot better but you can feel the weight in it, only manages about 250 miles to a tank so if you do loads of miles you are going to see a lot of petrol stations! Currently my favourite feature is the pre warming, tell it you are setting off at 8am and it warms and defrosts the car for you ready to set off :)

Not sure you can get a full size digital dash on the 3 series.

Depends what you are after, the 3 is going to be a bit more sporty but the 5 is the bigger better car in my opinion. 

IMG_9703.jpg

IMG_9700.jpg

Edited by DaveI
added photos
  • Like 2

You'd have to drive it really. Without xDrive it'll be pretty lively in the wet and useless on snow/ice without winters. But rwd beemers are nicer to drive than the xdrive.

I wouldn't recommend M-Sport suspension, I've got standard suspension and it's pretty decent and I wouldn't want it any harsher. If you want the option the adaptive would be best.

Spec folding seats too if you can (or even go for the estate), the boot is a decent size but the aperture is small.

No lumbar on standard seats. Electric only. No Xenon option, LED or standard.

Get the pro-nav you'll appreciate the bigger screen.

I do love my F30 it's a very good car.

Apart from diamond cut alloys, those things should be banned, but you're leasing so it doesn't matter.

If you need space the 5 series will give you a bit more. If you've bigger kids there isn't that much space in the back and car seats push kids legs further forward.

Edited by Aspman
  • Like 1

Yeah hoping to drive a 3 series, but I don't think they've any current 330is in stock; certainly no 330es. The car is the M Sport Shadow so comes with that suspension and I think the pro Nav is standard. The Adaptive suspension is very expensive option and I'm already at £384 a month for split seats, rear camera, sun screen strip, and armrest.

Well sadly diamond cut wheels does matter on a lease, more so in fact.  If I kurb them, I HAVE to fix them or face a bill at the end. If I kurbed them on a car I technically own, then it's my choice to fix or live with.

5 series looks nice, but I can only get one in black, grey, or blue in standard M Sport Spec.  Outside of that special offer, prices start at ~£430 a month which is too much.  I want my price at £380 or under.

Hows the auto box on these?

17 hours ago, DaveI said:

I've had the 330e M Sport for a week, my boss has just taken delivery of a 530e M Sport.

The 330e is a very very nice car, swapped from a 120d M Sport and it handles a lot better but you can feel the weight in it, only manages about 250 miles to a tank so if you do loads of miles you are going to see a lot of petrol stations! Currently my favourite feature is the pre warming, tell it you are setting off at 8am and it warms and defrosts the car for you ready to set off :)

Not sure you can get a full size digital dash on the 3 series.

Depends what you are after, the 3 is going to be a bit more sporty but the 5 is the bigger better car in my opinion. 

Very nice indeed! Colour looks a lot nicer in real photos too.  I think the digital dash is only an option on the 2018 M Sport II, which is either not out yet, or only out in the States.  I do ~7k a year on average (confirmed via MOT checker last night) but I'm quoting for 11k a year just so I've 'play room'.  it's 8.4p per mile over the allowance otherwise; ouch!

5 looks good, but I can't quite afford that.  Davel, would be so kind to tell me the depth of the boot in cm?  Also, if I were to not spec the folding rear seats, does the standard spec have any option for a hatch etc? In otherwords, is there any access to the cabin from the boot whatsoever without the 40/20/40 option?

Lastly, what does your reg mean? A Mass Effect fan? :D

25 minutes ago, planehazza said:

Well sadly diamond cut wheels does matter on a lease, more so in fact.  If I kurb them, I HAVE to fix them or face a bill at the end. If I kurbed them on a car I technically own, then it's my choice to fix or live with.

Diamond cut are a nightmare. You can only fix them twice. I got an official used BMW and they still wont fix under warranty claiming they've been fixed once already. They go white from the centre caps or any chip. And I mean the very slightest nick in the clearcoat, so you're basically guaranteed problems after a few months but since you're brand new you'll be able to claim under warranty. You're looking at £120-180 per wheel to lathe and the car being off the road till it's done. I didn't want them but no choice. I took the alloy insurance so I'm expecting a bad day in a car park before the ins runs out.

Auto box is a sweet as you can get. Can clunk a bit when cold 1>2, 2>3. Also can be a bit rough when your slowing down because the start-stop is quite aggressive. But warm and out of traffic it's so slick it's unreal. I never use the paddles, I might switch it to 'sport' very occasionally but mostly I leave it to the car. 330e has the 4 cylinder engine so that might be different to mine. Guy at work has a 320d and doesn't like the auto box as much as me.

• Like 1

Thanks for that :) Is it not a problem with the "engine kicking in" to give power from cold?  I'm just thinking that on a 20 miles commute, you'd spend 5-10 miles driving like a granny to warm the engine up before giving it any beans.   How do you do that on a hybrid? If then engine's cold and you plant your foot, it's starting up and revving it from cold. Is this not going to be a nightmare in the used market for people?

Its not bad just not as slick as I could do it with a clutch. Don't take as being like an old ford auto, that was like being punched in the back of the head when it changed.

It's not kick down it's just a mismatch of power and gearing at a very particular speed that happens to happen on a corner I do every morning when the car is stone cold.

The start/stop is more annoying but easy to switch off.

Auto lights are ****, auto wipers are mostly ****, seats are a PITA to get adjusted (all failings of many cars).

I'd drive a 330i if you can. I've no idea if you've driven a BMW before or not or rwd before.

Mine is the x-drive and it's great but the rwd cars are definitely nicer to drive.

[clicky click] you've a reduce boot for the battery so I'd look very carefully at it in case it's not big enough.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Aspman said:

[clicky click] you've a reduce boot for the battery so I'd look very carefully at it in case it's not big enough.

and unfortunately the 330e doesn't come in Touring flavour.

• Like 1

THanks again, good info. Just been along and they don't have a 330 in of any flavour so they're going to call me when it's in so I can have a drive.  Never driven a BMW, nor any RWD, so will have to take it easy whilst I adjust.  

The fleet guy at the branch I just visited is of the opinion that the current 2017 330e comes with folding rear seats as standard which would totally alleviate all boot concerns, however both the NHS fleet site and BMW car builder list it as an optional extra. Fingers crossed it's just the site that's outdated.

5 hours ago, planehazza said:

Very nice indeed! Colour looks a lot nicer in real photos too.  I think the digital dash is only an option on the 2018 M Sport II, which is either not out yet, or only out in the States.  I do ~7k a year on average (confirmed via MOT checker last night) but I'm quoting for 11k a year just so I've 'play room'.  it's 8.4p per mile over the allowance otherwise; ouch!

5 looks good, but I can't quite afford that.  Davel, would be so kind to tell me the depth of the boot in cm?  Also, if I were to not spec the folding rear seats, does the standard spec have any option for a hatch etc? In otherwords, is there any access to the cabin from the boot whatsoever without the 40/20/40 option?

Lastly, what does your reg mean? A Mass Effect fan? :D

Not sure of the boot depth, i'd have to google it! You do lose about 100 litres I believe due to the batteries taking up space.

Checked mine on the way home and there's no access at all with the fixed rear seats, no ski hatch.

It's a company car with a company plate :)

• Like 1

5 hours ago, planehazza said:

A colleagues wife Clio has just gone back from an NHS lease, she had badly curbed diamond cut alloys.

These costs are from memory so not gospel but he had them fixed for about £70 each and the guy who picked the car up commented that it would have only been £40 per wheel charge from the leasing company.

The Auto Boxes on these are brilliant, I had an auto in my 1 series which admittedly you could catch out if you had it in comfort and asked a bit much of it, left in sport it was brilliant. These have GPS enabled boxes apparently which scour the road ahead and will prime itself to change up or down dependant on whats coming up.

It's very easy in the 330e to catch it out if you are running in electric and then floor it, there's quite a lag from the changing down and the engine starting, general sensible driving it's spooky how un-noticible the engine starting and stopping and the gearbox changes are.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Headinawayoffski said:

I like him roadtesting just because he makes no pretence at knowing what he is doing.

Interesting car. Are they struggling to sell / lease them in the UK?

Nope, massive lead times if you want one generally, those NHS prices are very very cheap.

If I wanted to lease mine now it would be £576.00 + VAT a month! according to nationwide vehicle contracts.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, DaveI said:

Nope, massive lead times if you want one generally, those NHS prices are very very cheap.

If I wanted to lease mine now it would be £576.00 + VAT a month! according to nationwide vehicle contracts.

Fingers crossed it won't be too long through the NHS scheme; I'm led to believe they have higher priority over regular retail sales.

13 hours ago, DaveI said:

The Auto Boxes on these are brilliant, I had an auto in my 1 series which admittedly you could catch out if you had it in comfort and asked a bit much of it, left in sport it was brilliant. These have GPS enabled boxes apparently which scour the road ahead and will prime itself to change up or down dependant on whats coming up.

GPS boxes are extra (on most). I think Lady Elenor in here had one and thought it was rather good. The 8sp is as good an auto as I've ever been in.

If you've never driven a rwd before ca' canny as we say up here (take it easy). That 330e has a pile of torque and a fair bit of power. Batteries over the rear axle will help.

If it's snowy or icy basically you won't be going anywhere without winter tyres. So bare in mind if you do get snow where you live and you must be able to travel.

• Like 1

Cheers guys.  The excitement I'm starting to get tells me I think I've already made my mind up, just waiting to test drive and F30 of sorts just to make sure the pedals are comfy etc.  Can't see me having any problems though. Is it just me, or is it really hard to definitely find out spec/trim defaults?  There are so many toys I see in various videos, but I've no idea what's standard.  In particular:

- Split seats. BMW say it's an option; reviewers say it's free in PHEV versions. Guy in BMW showroom didn't know

- Preconditioning - on all F30s/330s?

- Large screen - is that a default on M Sport, or is it part of a high spec media/Nav option? Business nav is standard on M Sport I believe

Davel, this is a big ask so feel free to tell me to bugger off... As you're not too far away in Durham, if I gave you some beer tokens would I be able to pop over some time to take a look at yours?  I'm not asking to drive it or anything of course, just take a look around, as I've yet to see a 330 in the flesh.

Speccing them is hard. The prices for options and the options available all change depending what the base model you are starting with is.

Best to assume you are not getting the screen and seat by default.

'Preconditioning', don't get hung up on it. It lets you run the fans it doesn't run the AC or heating. Best think about the remote drive app is that it lets you double check you've locked the car also it lets you set the sat nav from the app too.

That can be  god send. If you've a 'Toon' accent you'll find yourself screaming at the voice recognition soon enough when you try to use if for the sat nav. Honestly it's comically bad.

I've not tried a German accent yet but maybe I should.

If you just want to drive an F30 just go to the showroom. BMW is usually pretty accommodating if they're not busy. I'm sure they'll give you a lesser model to try for size.

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Aspman said:

Speccing them is hard. The prices for options and the options available all change depending what the base model you are starting with is.

Best to assume you are not getting the screen and seat by default.

'Preconditioning', don't get hung up on it. It lets you run the fans it doesn't run the AC or heating. Best think about the remote drive app is that it lets you double check you've locked the car also it lets you set the sat nav from the app too.

That can be  god send. If you've a 'Toon' accent you'll find yourself screaming at the voice recognition soon enough when you try to use if for the sat nav. Honestly it's comically bad.

I've not tried a German accent yet but maybe I should.

If you just want to drive an F30 just go to the showroom. BMW is usually pretty accommodating if they're not busy. I'm sure they'll give you a lesser model to try for size.

Strangely, they didn't seem to have much in, but then I didn't look outside, as I was just quickly popping in and it was dark.  They've a 335 in the showroom, but they'd have to move pretty much every car to get it out.  I think the larger screen is on the M Sport, but again, I don't know precisely what feature introduces it.

I'm Geordie, but have been told I'm a posh Geordie so fingers crossed I'll have no problem. 

I did wonder where the heat would come from on a cold car.  I thought the concept was to get the car warmed up ready for getting in? I was hoping it would be handy to defrost the car etc.

59 minutes ago, Aspman said:

GPS boxes are extra (on most). I think Lady Elenor in here had one and thought it was rather good. The 8sp is as good an auto as I've ever been in.

If you've never driven a rwd before ca' canny as we say up here (take it easy). That 330e has a pile of torque and a fair bit of power. Batteries over the rear axle will help.

If it's snowy or icy basically you won't be going anywhere without winter tyres. So bare in mind if you do get snow where you live and you must be able to travel.

I've never seen GPS Gearbox as an option unless it's part of the Sport Gearbox option.

It's very easy to unstick the rear wheels in the colder wetter weather we've had recently, I've seen the yellow traction light quite a bit recently!

52 minutes ago, planehazza said:

Cheers guys.  The excitement I'm starting to get tells me I think I've already made my mind up, just waiting to test drive and F30 of sorts just to make sure the pedals are comfy etc.  Can't see me having any problems though. Is it just me, or is it really hard to definitely find out spec/trim defaults?  There are so many toys I see in various videos, but I've no idea what's standard.  In particular:

- Split seats. BMW say it's an option; reviewers say it's free in PHEV versions. Guy in BMW showroom didn't know

- Preconditioning - on all F30s/330s?

- Large screen - is that a default on M Sport, or is it part of a high spec media/Nav option? Business nav is standard on M Sport I believe

Davel, this is a big ask so feel free to tell me to bugger off... As you're not too far away in Durham, if I gave you some beer tokens would I be able to pop over some time to take a look at yours?  I'm not asking to drive it or anything of course, just take a look around, as I've yet to see a 330 in the flesh.

Mine was built end of 2016 so a MY17 model?? Definitely doesn't have split rear seats.

Pre-conditioning is available on all BMWs but only the hybrid models have heating as it uses the larger battery to power an auxiliary heater, you can set two times a day when the pre-conditioning will kick in, so 8am and 5pm when I get in the car it's a nice 22 degrees. My old 1 series you could pre-condition but all it would do is run the fans and draw external air into the cabin.

The large screen is Pro Nav, the standard screen is business Nav. I've gone from Pro Nav to Business Nav and the screen makes no difference, I miss voice control though. I think Apple Car Play can only be configured with Pro Nav.

You can pop over no problem, if you are available lunch times I'm in Sunderland, weekends it's Peterlee.

Edited by DaveI

23 minutes ago, DaveI said:

Mine was built end of 2016 so a MY17 model?? Definitely doesn't have split rear seats.

Pre-conditioning is available on all BMWs but only the hybrid models have heating as it uses the larger battery to power an auxiliary heater, you can set two times a day when the pre-conditioning will kick in, so 8am and 5pm when I get in the car it's a nice 22 degrees. My old 1 series you could pre-condition but all it would do is run the vans and draw external air into the cabin.

The large screen is Pro Nav, the standard screen is business Nav. I've gone from Pro Nav to Business Nav and the screen makes no difference, I miss voice control though. I think Apple Car Play can only be configured with Pro Nav.

You can pop over no problem, if you are available lunch times I'm in Sunderland, weekends it's Peterlee.

Good news about the preconditioning; I thought I'd read that somewhere, but I wasn't sure.  Shame about the display. I can only see the business default option on the NHS/BMS spec, so I'm wondering if BMW's site is outdated?  I really like the look of hte bigger screen for satnav and media etc.  I thought voice control was standard on the M Sport etc?

EDIT: I see it now; the large display is part of a package, not an option, which is why I couldn't see it. £900 :( Urgh, it's becoming more and more clear that there's little on the standard M Sport :(

Thanks very much for letting me visit.  Lunch times wouldn't work unfortunately, but I'm happy to pop over to Peterlee at a time that's good for you. Shall I send you a PM?

Edited by planehazza