Non-Working Rear Wiper

Hi all, we have recently purchased a 2008 Fabia to replace the old Mk1.

All good except we noticed the rear wiper didn't work, although the washer worked fine.

Eventually got the car back to the garage to replace the motor, they also checked power was getting to the motor etc.

All has been fine for a couple of weeks, but I've just been told by the wife that the resting position for the arm is now below the bottom edge of the window.  When operated, the wiper arm barely moved before stopping altogether.

There seems to be a lot of posts regarding rear wiper issues, can anyone offer advice on this.

Cheers 

I'd think that the wiper arm is rotating on the shaft, so, if you are able, slacken off the arm and remove it > switch on the wiper and then after a couple of sweeps switch it off and let it park > refit the wiper arm and place it in what should be the correct park position, maybe an inch above the bottom edge > switch the wiper on and check that it is sweeping across the screen okay. 

If you don't want to do any of that, take it back and ask the garage and have them sort it.

I managed to have a quick look this morning before going to work & you can see the shaft rotating when operated, so good news, the motor seems OK, but the arm doesn't seem to be held in position or sweeps anymore..... Don't know whether its been pulled in a car park or something similar.  There is a nut at the base of the arm which is partially obscured.  I tightened that up, but it didn't make any difference.

Presumably there's a circular spine of some kind with teeth in it to hold everything secure.  Do these tend to wear out & can you get replacements...

Cheers 

Sounds like the spline has worn.. If its a NEW motor, it might just be the arm spline- easy replacement. If the motor spline is worn, bit trickier! 

You might still be able to get dealer to replace the arm as they won't be a bargain from a main dealer although cheaper from a motor factor or off eBay. 

I must admit I have never had the wiper fail in this way so its a new thing to me but splines can wear out. Usually if not bolted down tightly enough. Some splines are tapered so fit better, the tighter they are bolted and some are just straight so will still operate if slightly loose but any "Skipping" will start to damage the splines. Where you say its obscured, I think you will find it is only under a plastic "pop on-pop off " cap. Remove this for proper access.

Edited by mrgf

Excellent, thanks.

Looks like removing the arm can be a bit of a pain.  I'll get the WD40 ready....

I think the garage fitted a reconditioned motor, so its probably not in the best condition.

Looks like that's Saturdays job sorted out....

Thx again...

• 4 months later...

Hi guys,

I am just in the process of replacing the wiper motor. Does anyone know how to remove the cover in the picture?  I removed the screwes and there is a play in the cover now, but it still won't come off for me, no matter what side I push/pull. 

Thank you

1521223381127731824554.jpg