Amundsen 17/18 Sat Nav Update..... Plz Help!!

Hi all,

Was wondering if someone can help me out as I'm having serious issues updating the sat nav unit.

I have searched the forum for hours and read multiple posts about this but have not come across anyone having same problem.

I'll outline the steps I've taken so far and what the outcome was.

Sat Nav maps was ECE 2013/2014 when I purchased the car a few months back. 

1. Removed Nav SD card from car and formatted it on laptop (FAT32 with 4k cluster size) Stupidly didn't back up before formatting :(
  2. Downloaded latest map from skoda update portal and unpacked to SD card using  the skoda provided software
  3. Checked it was on card ok (markets folder and DBinfo.txt file)
  4. Put card back in car and it came up on screen that nav database had been found
  5. Then the unit started turning itself off and on a few times, sometimes just staying off
  6. When I turned it back on I clicked on Nav in car it showed an error saying "please insert a valid navigation data"
  7. I removed SD card and tried again on laptop and again it would not work 
  8. Seems that the unit knows the Nav data is there but won't read it for some reason (card was unlocked before formatting and locked again before putting back in car)

I've tried all the different methods I could find on the forum and still same outcome.  The code on the SD card is 5E0 051 236C

I'm not sure what else I can do except take it to dealers but I'm not sure how helpful they will be as it was working before I purchased car.

Has anyone experienced anything similar at all and can help me in any way?

Thanks

1) Have you used the MIB1 Amundsen file?

2) Are there any other files on the SD card, such as an MD5 (which is in the direct download links posted here a few days ago) or the .DS_store files put there when using a Mac?

• Thanks 1

Yes I tried both the download on the 

SKODA portal by entering vin and then earlier I tried the direct link download for MIB1 that someone had posted on here.  

No didn't see any other files just the markets folder and dbinfo file. 

When I put it in car it comes up on screen navigation database found and then it will turn the unit off. If I click on Nav it just says please insert valid navigation media. Its very strange Im not sure what else can do tried about 6 times already lol

Two thoughts

If you formatted the card rather than delete the old maps, perhaps you’ve also deleted the embedded data on the card that prevents pirating.

How old is the car? (you say 2013/14 maps) - I think you only get 3 years worth of free map update support - you may need to buy a new card of you didn’t back up,the old maps.

• Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, Falmouthboy said:

Two thoughts

If you formatted the card rather than delete the old maps, perhaps you’ve also deleted the embedded data on the card that prevents pirating.

How old is the car? (you say 2013/14 maps) - I think you only get 3 years worth of free map update support - you may need to buy a new card of you didn’t back up,the old maps.

Nope, you can’t delete the secret data on the Skoda card. It’s perfectly safe to format it.

As for the 3 year limit: mine is an early 2014 car and I didn’t have any issues with updating. Friend of mine also updated his 2013 O3 without any problem. (We have MIB1 Amundsen.)

• Thanks 1

The car is early 2014. I'm not sure what is causing the issues I assume the card isnt faulty as it worked before I tried updating it. I used Windows 7 laptop throughout the process

5 hours ago, aki78 said:

Try and force reboot the headunit, hopefully helps. Press and hold the power button until it switches off and on again (10-15 sec).

Ok will try this later. So turn it on, hold power button down for 15 secs until the unit reboots then insert nav card? 

• 1 month later...

Here's a couple of things you can try:

1. Use any 32Gb SD card (or a 16Gb if you have one); just use the 'quick format' option in Windows and it should be good to go. 
  2. Redownload the map files from the Skoda Portal (could be corrupt data you downloaded; unlikely but possible)
  3. Check the stereo without any SD card inserted functions properly.

1 hour ago, bomski said:

Use any 32Gb SD card (or a 16Gb if you have one);

Won't work in an Amundsen - you have to use a genuine Skoda SD card which has the hidden security data.

Thanks anyway mate tried all that. Formatted card first time as NTFS would that have made any difference?  Formatted as FAT32 after that to no avail. Dont really want to go to dealer but seems like only option. 

What about a 2nd hand card off ebay with same card number on front? Usually around 30 r 40 to buy but not sure if it'll work

11 minutes ago, PhillyM88 said:

What about a 2nd hand card off ebay with same card number on front? Usually around 30 r 40 to buy but not sure if it'll work

That's what I have, 2 Skoda SD cards off eBay cost me a total of less than £60 - one with the latest maps on plus one with the previous maps on as a backup.

20 minutes ago, SWBoy said:

That's what I have, 2 Skoda SD cards off eBay cost me a total of less than £60 - one with the latest maps on plus one with the previous maps on as a backup.

Did you have issues with card that was in car when you bought it when it came to updating the maps? 

Cheers

4 hours ago, PhillyM88 said:

Did you have issues with card that was in car when you bought it when it came to updating the maps?

I bought it second hand from Sparshatts of Botley who claimed that they received it without a card (seems very unlikely to me but they were about as useless as a chocolate teapot), and wanted to charge me full Skoda price for one - and were most surprised when I sourced one myself for a fraction of what they wanted to charge.

44 minutes ago, SWBoy said:

I bought it second hand from Sparshatts of Botley who claimed that they received it without a card (seems very unlikely to me but they were about as useless as a chocolate teapot), and wanted to charge me full Skoda price for one - and were most surprised when I sourced one myself for a fraction of what they wanted to charge.

Ok thanks for the info mate

• 2 weeks later...
5 hours ago, pist0nbr0ke said:

@PhillyM88 Did you get sorted? 

By any chance had you downloaded the software update rather than the maps update? (Isn't there two separate downloads?)

Was definately the latest maps  there is no updates for software for my system at min. When I put card in it shows a message that navigation data has been entered then it says please insert valid navigation data. Ordered a 2nd hand card off ebay I will let you know if that solves it. 

2nd hand card off ebay worked a treat. 

Has the 2014 maps though not going to risk updating it just yet after the nightmare the first time.

Anyway thanks all for your input 

What i found was that the sd cards supplied by vag group are mms short on the card fingers and dont connect properly in some pc card  readers.I was pulling my hair out trying to update which kept failing held the card in the reader it worked and as soon as I let let go errors !!!! 

I literally taped mine into the reader and hay presto worked first time .