1.4 TDI EGR questions

mrbeji

Hello, looking for a bit of help please. The emissions light came on but car was driving all fine. Diagnostic code said air inlet flap motor, disconnected hose and yes is was very coked up. Took it off and cleaned it.

Looked into the EGR valve (still in situ) and this was even worse almost completely full of crap. Cleaned this as well. I Noted that with the engine running at various RPM the valve plunger in the EGR does not lift and wondered if it should or if it only would lift with the anti shudder valve and hoses all back on. I also found that lifting the EGR valve plunger by hand with pliers required a fair bit of force but I could hear the exhaust gas coming through it.Anyway re-assembled and after 2 starts the emissions warning light went out and car driving all fine. So I am wondering if I need to fit a new Egr valve.

any thoughts much appreciated

Martin

SOLVED - Got to thinking about this one a bit more. Decided that the egr valve plunger might not lift if the anti- shudder valve was disconnected electrically as the ECU would probably not want to pass exhaust emiisions through if there was a problem with the anti shudder valve or the hose was disconnected. Proved the theory by just disconnecting the hose from the anti-shudder valve and observing the egr plunger with a torch looking through the anti shudder valve and it is working as it should.

Martin

• Like 2