Scout 15 plate with 17 inch wheels, have 16 inch winter tyres for Yeti - can I re-use if I buy 16 inch wheels

I have a 15 plate Scout with 17 inch standard wheels.  I have a set of 16 inch Yokohama winter tyres for a Yeti (attached)  215/61/16 994.  If I buy 16 inch wheels can I safely use them on the Scout?  What are the issues?

2017-11-09 15.20.19.jpg

2017-11-11 14.05.55.jpg

Edited by LoadaSkoda

• 2 weeks later...

Seen a few Scouts running on 16” Steels with 205/55x16 winter tyres on.

I would imagine the rolling diameter is the same as the 17” Wheel/tyre combo or very similar.

I got Audi TT wheels and they are 5x112 16 inches so the brakes work.  Ground clearance is a little reduced but a good result!

2017-11-23 11.37.24 2.jpg

2017-11-23 11.37.24.jpg

Edited by LoadaSkoda
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...
On 25/11/2017 at 19:59, Dinesy said:

Seen a few Scouts running on 16” Steels with 205/55x16 winter tyres on.

I would imagine the rolling diameter is the same as the 17” Wheel/tyre combo or very similar.

I know this is a late reply but this is for future reference.  The scout achieves extra ground clearance in part by using a bigger wheel and tyre combo.  Effectively fitting 205/55/16 wheels/tyres means the speedo will over read by about 4% as the overall diameter is smaller than the stock wheels and you can see the reduction in ride height.

But if you have access to VCDS you can easily change the speedo setting to match the smaller wheels.  On my MY16 Scout with standard 17" wheels the wheel size in the instrument cluster is set to type 2 I think.  If you change it to standard circumference you are sorted, just change it back when you swap the wheels.