Felicia wheel spacers, how big is not too big

You all still think im a boy racer dont you? :D

Those wheels are 175/80-14, plus whole 4 corners are lifted 1.5-2cm, complete car was 5cm higher than stock setup. I did that because i usually have to go places where only SUV goes because of the road clearance, no need for 4 wheel drive. So i lifted this little Skoda, which whole cost as much as 2 tires for SUV, also registration for a  2+ liter engined car here is twice the purchase price of Skoda, and SUVs keep their value here, there is nothing except Lada Niva, for less then 3000€. And i dont need an SUV, just a car with a little bit more road clearance.

Now you have seen that lifting 5cm car that all ready has body roll issues isnt going to end well if you drive it a bit faster on the road, no matter how good tires are, and they were good. In preparation  to lift this car as well, maybe not full 5cm, not so big tires up front to keep good acceleration for overtakes(only single carriageways, good acceleration is a must), and different shocks, i was planning to do something to compensate for the lift, like fitting spacers, and possibly reduce body roll  with the ARB. To make my car more stable and safe. We all need that type of stability for avoiding obstacles on the road, like idiots.

If this is all such a big issue, and you couldnt possibly tell me, why the wheel spacers and wider wheels will have adverse effects, then i am sorry for disturbing you and i wont do it any more.

@nu99et18

Thanks for sharing your ARB solution, great job on that one.

Also thanks everybody else who are sharing their experience, and actually try to help

37 minutes ago, arnyman said:

i was planning to do something to compensate for the lift, like fitting spacers, and possibly reduce body roll  with the ARB. To make my car more stable and safe. We all need that type of stability for avoiding obstacles on the road, like idiots.

It is YOU that kept this information hidden. You can't expect us to learn the details of your past events by doing forensics analysis on a crash photo. Playing butthurt won't help either. We are not wizards or mentalists. You have/had full access to your car(s) yet you share very few information. This forum is not about playing riddles. Learn how to help us to help you.

If you want to reduce body roll, start with ARB. It helps a lot on stock car. Rear ARB is already included on HB. But you can add second one from other side of axle.

But hatchback will be better in terms of handling, than Estate. Those 50 kilos move cg rearward and up, plus rear ARB is missing. It rolls more and it's easier to oversteer. I never oversteered hatchback, estate slides a lot

1 hour ago, Papez said:

If you want to reduce body roll, start with ARB. It helps a lot on stock car. Rear ARB is already included on HB. But you can add second one from other side of axle.

But hatchback will be better in terms of handling, than Estate. Those 50 kilos move cg rearward and up, plus rear ARB is missing. It rolls more and it's easier to oversteer. I never oversteered hatchback, estate slides a lot

You made me crawl under the back of my car at this late hour, and there was no rear ARB. I hate you now :biggrin: ;)

So i went google it and found out RARB looks a bit different, its like a torsion bar fitted to torsion beam, to make it twist less, so maybe there actually is a RARB on my felly, i just didnt see it. Will check that in the morning, but its strange to me, this thing rolls much more than my previous Estate, maybe its something else wrong there

Edited by arnyman

Yes, that's weird :D When I switched from HB to Estate, it felt like boat :DBoth cars were same model year and engine. Now I have front and rear ARB fittet and it feels much better. And 14" wheels help a lot.

Also there is huge difference between old and renewed suspension. New dampers and bushings and it feels like whole different car :) But that didn't last long in my case