All windows open themselves

rafe1

I recently stupidly locked myself in my Octavia,pressing the keyfob.  Rather than just pressing it again to open, I pulled the handle, snapped the cable inside and deadlocked the lock...expensive mistake..so I got an aftermarket lock and cable...all fitted and works great, however sometimes when I lock the door, (with keyfob)it sounds like the solenoid does another bzz and all the windows open !

Bit worrying the first time to come back to the car and find all the windows open..

I have been sent a new lock, but before I go to all that trouble again, has anybody any ideas if it could be anything else like a loose wire or mebe the lock not fitted correctly? 

Edited by rafe1

When you fit a lock in these models, it is quite important that you try to refit the serrated cable for the outer handle within reason in exactly the same place as the old unit.

Most of us simply count the number of teeth then slot the cable in at that point.

Inside the lock are four microswitches which send different signals to the locking module to tell the car if it is locked or unlocked, check this thread out for more info -

If the cable is fitted too tight, the car may lock and not then unlock, if it is too loose, it will send confusing signals to the body module. If you have lost the original position of the locking cable, it will be down to careful trial and error with cable length, but do this with the window open and the door trim still off, as if you do fit it too tight, you need a way to still open the car.

I tend to use a screwdiver shaft to mimick the action of the lock stricker with the door open, then you can work on the door as it is wide open if the lock should fail the test.  If you still have the old lock, simply measure the teeth and fit the new one in the same place.

I would do this to the new lock, then you rule out a faulty lock, and you fit it the correct way - 2 jobs done in 1 move. :)

Do you know if anybody enabled window opening via the remote on your car at all?.

Hope it helps.

Edited by kentphil1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks very much, by the serrated cable I guess you mean the one that can go in several different slots in the handle, it is short and fits back into the lock?

Well, I think you could be onto something, because before when I opened the door the handle would come out a few mm before pulling the cable.

Now as I open the door their is no play, it it quite tight.

So I will loosen it a few teeth first.

I personaly haven't had window opening enabled, but have read a thread if you hold key in open position using fob it will open the windows, so as I had never tried that Im not sure.

And I will make sure the door card is off, having no way of opening the door at all last week I was ready to scrap the car!! Its been a very expensive year, new turbo and steering rack plus window reg and door lock..

But carefully hitting the door by the lock whilst using the key opened it eventualy, this might help someone one day.

By  the way I fitted a new window regulator before I fitted the new lock, and the problen only arose when the new lock was fitted and I didnt need to touch the electrics for that.

Thanks again will let you know what happens..

8 hours ago, rafe1 said:

Thanks very much, by the serrated cable I guess you mean the one that can go in several different slots in the handle, it is short and fits back into the lock?

Yep, you've got it. I tend to use tippex to mark the lock cable to handle orientation, but that wont help in your case as you have fitted a new lock, but it does give you a better than average start point.