headlights/ignition

Hi guys, just registered and had a quick look round and couldn't see anything specific about my query, so sorry if it has been covered before...

Just got myself an Octavia Hatch 1.4TSI SE (December 2016) and have noticed when I turn ignition on (its night time) the headlights come on and the light switch is in the off position! I have had a look at the manual and through Google but cant seem to see anything about this. Is this a normal feature?? The light is like between side light and headlight strength.

Yours

Slightly confused.

Edited by jonski74

1 minute ago, jonski74 said:

Hi guys, just registered and had a quick look round and couldn't see anything specific about my query, so sorry if it has been covered before...

Just got myself an Octavia Hatch 1.4TSI SE (December 2016) and have noticed when I turn ignition on (its night time) the headlights come on and the light switch is in the off position! I have had a look at the manual and through Google but cant seem to see anything about this. Is this a normal feature?? The light is like between side light and headlight strength.

Yours

Slightly confused.

Halogen daytime running light? They are on when ignition is on without headlights being on. Does the light dim if you switch to sidelights?

With halogen headlights the "main beam" bulb actually has two separate filaments - a high power one for main beam and a lower powered one for the DRLs.

The bulb type is H15.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, jonski74 said:

Ok, another stupid question. I checked last night (dark) and drl came on. I left for the gym this morning at 6am (still dark) and they didn't. Is there some kind of timer on them?

No, the DRLs should be on whenever the headlights (maybe sidelights too) are off.

What have you got on when you turn on Sidelights Front / Rear, or Sidelights and Head Lights?

Day, night or poor light / visibility you want headlights on anyway not Day Light / Day Time running lights.

Does your car have 'Autolights', and have you read the Owners Manual?

Switch ignition on (before starting car) and the drl comes on but this morning it didn't. Switching side lights on after this is fine as with headlights. It's just the drl. They came on last night when I turned ignition on but not this morning. I don't have auto on mine. Manual is very basic.

Because they are on sometimes and not others it must be something I am doing, but I can't work it out. I'll have a look at the maxidot thing but as far as I know I'm not making any changes between it being on and off. My wife picked me up from work, they were on with just ignition on, I jump in later to go to the shop and they're not... It's bugging me!!

DRLs can be turned off, probably on the dash itself. There's *always* a way to turn them off without the use of a tool as it's a legal requirement. 

DRL will only run if there's no sidelights on. Sidelights replace and they are not as bright.

I'm also 99%+ sure that all 2016 Octavias have auto lights. 

- Bret 

• Thanks 1