Replacing wheel bearings

Spartan142

Good morning fellow Roomster owners.

I have recently bought a 1.4TDi which stood unused for the best part of a year. There is a rumbling/knocking noise/vibration which varies with road speed, so I’m assuming the wheel bearings are on their way out...

Having looked on the websites of Euro Car Parts & Andrew Page, the images of the bearings look as though they are integral with the hub flange that the disc & wheel bolt on to. Am I right? If so, it’ll save some time on the dismantling, before I have a chat with my local mechanic, and cross his palm with silver...

Yes I understand it all one hub unit now,and  I requires a hub puller.Gone are the days when you could buy a bearing kit for a few pound,and easily do it yourself.

I must confess I've never done one ,and would have to look at the manual. But probably I'd do the same as you and let my trusted non franchise garage do it to save the hassle.

• Thanks 1

The bearing comes with the hub flange already pressed in and is bolted into the hub carrier with three bolts. Getting the hub to a position to knock the bearing out would be the most difficult part of the procedure. They usually don't take a lot to get them to come out. (I've maybe been lucky though.)